The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

Geeze. . . I can't believe I've been dicking with this car for more than four years now, but the Saga Continues. . .

Its been a lot of little things; the most recent involves the rear quarter power windows. They have really been kicking by butt. I have installed a replacement right rear quarter window and frame (thanks, Murray) and a rebuilt window motor from JC Restorations. It is all together - EXCEPT - for one spring clip that retains the roller in the window frame to the pin on the regulator. Its the pin on the left in the photo below. I was able to snap the spring clip onto the pin on the roller on the right, but I can't get enough leverage with my fingers in the smaller space around the roller / pin on the left. Is there a magic tool or procedure I should use that will help me here? I added a few other photos associated with this. . .

View attachment 398672

View attachment 398674 View attachment 398675 View attachment 398676 View attachment 398676

I swear. . . It's like an immaculate conception has occurred . . . And Stan was right. It takes three hands to hold the clip and at the same time hold and turn the screw on a c-clamp with a 1/2 inch socket positioned on the clip and over the pin. After I gave up, no.1 son and his buddy from across the street were able to finally get the clip to click onto the pin. Here is the result:

As everyone knows, the saga never ends. I just purchased new power top pistons and hydraulic lines for my 66 convertible. I started to get the old pistons removed and discovered it looks like ya gotta damn near remove the whole top mechanism to get to the top pin holding piston rod. Has anybody done this before? I thought this was a simple thing. . .

As shown in my recent video concerning my rear quarter power windows, you may notice the new power pistons I installed for the power top. That was a pain too, but not nearly as bad as the power window repairs. Here is a shot of the final result with the convertible top:

Nice! That’s some decent lift on both the window and the roof. It’s the little crap that would easily throw ordinary people over the edge, but we just don’t give up. I’m so glad this is just a hobby, lol.

Very nice. Congratulations always a great feeling.

Yours appears pretty good. Check the fit between the front windows and rear and the rear to the top. After I reassembled the interior I noticed my right rear window was out of adjustment. Just trying to keeping from doing something I did. :)

Your accomplishment is remarkable since you seem to be my vintage. As I get older my patience more easily wears thin. It seems you have maintained the patience of Job. Your car looks great BTW.

As shown in my recent video concerning my rear quarter power windows, you may notice the new power pistons I installed for the power top. That was a pain too, but not nearly as bad as the power window repairs. Here is a shot of the final result with the convertible top:

Looks good, but I think your seat is a little low, it's not a Peterbilt. :D:D

Your accomplishment is remarkable since you seem to be my vintage. As I get older my patience more easily wears thin. It seems you have maintained the patience of Job. Your car looks great BTW.

Thanks a lot. I too lose patience,and when I do, I just walk away from the car for a while. Sometimes, in my sleep, a solution comes to me, and when I get back to the car things go easier.

Thanks a lot. I too lose patience,and when I do, I just walk away from the car for a while. Sometimes, in my sleep, a solution comes to me, and when I get back to the car things go easier.
Exactly how I work. I usually always have the solution after I sleep on it.

I hate workin on windows, when your done the glass is all smudged up with fingerprints and stuff, and take forever to clean!!

Thanks a lot. I too lose patience, and when I do, I just walk away from the car for a while. Sometimes, in my sleep, a solution comes to me, and when I get back to the car things go easier.

Speaking of patience, I'm still fighting the power window thing in the driver-side door. The motor works and I got the front edge weather strip installed (had to do it twice). An old post from @MYSINBIN was very helpful. I'm almost done, but the window channel where the rear edge of the driver-side window rides needs a new felt liner (Item No. G-100), which I also got from Restoration Specialties with the front weather strip . The felt strip is very thin and must be glued into the bottom of the channel. Does anyone have a recommendation as to the glue / adhesive I should use? Whatever the factory used originally was pretty tough stuff. I couple of photos are shown below.

Window Channel 66 Chrysler Conv.jpg

Window Channel 66 Chrysler Conv No 2.jpg

Speaking of patience, I'm still fighting the power window thing in the driver-side door. The motor works and I got the front edge weather strip installed (had to do it twice). An old post from @MYSINBIN was very helpful. I'm almost done, but the window channel where the rear edge of the driver-side window rides needs a new felt liner (Item No. G-100), which I also got from Restoration Specialties with the front weather strip . The felt strip is very thin and must be glued into the bottom of the channel. Does anyone have a recommendation as to the glue / adhesive I should use? Whatever the factory used originally was pretty tough stuff. I couple of photos are shown below.

View attachment 436581

View attachment 436582
I used the 3M brand for the glue.

also, I made some thin wooden shims that bent easily to follow the sweep of the channel to make sure that the fabric contacted the entire length of the channel
Clamped it together over night to make sure it adhered.
Any loose fabric, I reapplied glue to secure it

I used the 3M brand for the glue.

also, I made some thin wooden shims that bent easily to follow the sweep of the channel to make sure that the fabric contacted the entire length of the channel
Clamped it together over night to make sure it adhered.
Any loose fabric, I reapplied glue to secure it

Hey! Thanks a lot. I was wondering how to handle the curved part of the channel.

Mighty fine!

Here you go.
In reviewing the pictures, I see that I also used big flat washers to secure the wood strips in place.

Also including a few of of the original flocking...

The replacement material was different than the fuzzy style I had but works well.
IMG_6580.JPG
IMG_6581.JPG
IMG_6526.JPG
IMG_6523.JPG

Back