The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

Very nice. Congratulations always a great feeling.

Yours appears pretty good. Check the fit between the front windows and rear and the rear to the top. After I reassembled the interior I noticed my right rear window was out of adjustment. Just trying to keeping from doing something I did. :)

IMHO, these 1/4 windows are really difficult to keep in adjustment

View attachment 437061
Here you go.
In reviewing the pictures, I see that I also used big flat washers to secure the wood strips in place.

Also including a few of of the original flocking...

The replacement material was different than the fuzzy style I had but works well.
View attachment 436603 View attachment 436604 View attachment 436606 View attachment 436607

I got the new run channel material installed yesterday. Thanks to @mr. fix it , it was easy peazy japaneazy. Used a plastic trim piece and couple of paint sticks.

IMG_20210206_125824234.jpg

IMG_20210206_125759249.jpg

The Saga does continue. . . Trying to fix my power seat base. Determined I have a bad solenoid / coil. It is part number 1830-290. Used in both Chrysler and Imperial in '66. Does anyone have a line on this part - before I call Murray? Here is a picture:

IMG_20210605_163519840.jpg

Yes I might. I’ll check tomorrow.

The Saga does continue. . . Trying to fix my power seat base. Determined I have a bad solenoid / coil. It is part number 1830-290. Used in both Chrysler and Imperial in '66. Does anyone have a line on this part - before I call Murray? Here is a picture:

View attachment 464472

In couldn't find that triple-solenoid anywhere, so I finally bit the bullet and cannibalized the solenoid from the power passenger seat in The Parts Car. Hopefully I'll find one later - maybe at Carlisle that I can re-install in The Parts Car.

In my continuing effort to put the car back together for Carlisle, No. 1 son and I continued the attack on the dash. You all may remember this photo of the wood grain contact paper mess that confronts us. Here is the before / in-progress shot:

dash-rehab-jpg.jpg

We pretty much had to scrape and sand the dash down to bare metal - a total pain in the gazorkma. Here are a few shots that illustrate the steps from the primer to the finish coat of Spinaker White from Kolor Korrect with a couple of final coats of SEM Gloss:

IMG_20210612_143533612.jpg

IMG_20210612_143533612.jpg

IMG_20210615_164839615.jpg

IMG_20210618_155610440.jpg

IMG_20210618_155631118.jpg

Now I just hafta put everything back together. . . Interior panels, carpet, back seat, front seats. . . Wax on. . . Wax off. . .

to the finish coat of Spinaker White from Kolor Korrect with a couple of final coats of SEM Gloss:. .

Was that the color Mopar used instead of pearl white, or was/is this just a close match that you're happy with? I have a couple small chips on the G.B door and don't feel like doing the whole dash.

Was that the color Mopar used instead of pearl white, or was/is this just a close match that you're happy with? I have a couple small chips on the G.B door and don't feel like doing the whole dash.

Pearl White was the color of the seat upholstery and door and back seat trim panels. Different paint on the panels altogether, requiring a two stage paint process - base white followed by a coat of Pearl. Except for the gloss finish (which we fixed with SEM Gloss clear, Spinaker White is a dead-on match to the paint used originally on the dash.

In couldn't find that triple-solenoid anywhere, so I finally bit the bullet and cannibalized the solenoid from the power passenger seat in The Parts Car. Hopefully I'll find one later - maybe at Carlisle that I can re-install in The Parts Car.

In my continuing effort to put the car back together for Carlisle, No. 1 son and I continued the attack on the dash. You all may remember this photo of the wood grain contact paper mess that confronts us. Here is the before / in-progress shot:

View attachment 467516

We pretty much had to scrape and sand the dash down to bare metal - a total pain in the gazorkma. Here are a few shots that illustrate the steps from the primer to the finish coat of Spinaker White from Kolor Korrect with a couple of final coats of SEM Gloss:

View attachment 467510

View attachment 467510

View attachment 467512

View attachment 467513

View attachment 467514

Now I just hafta put everything back together. . . Interior panels, carpet, back seat, front seats. . . Wax on. . . Wax off. . .

I just realized I never completed documenting this stage of my progress with the re-assembly of the interior. At the time (last year), I was on a mission to get the car ready for Carlisle. So here are a few shots showing how it all finally worked out:

IMG_20210627_130731093.jpg

IMG_20210627_170336715.jpg

IMG_20210627_171046480.jpg

IMG_20210704_152734780.jpg
IMG_20210706_191425386_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210706_191440067_HDR.jpg

And we did make it to Carlisle. I don't wanna say this journey has been some kind of an immaculate conception, but originally, I was sure I would bring the car to Carlisle in 2016. . . As you can see, I made the mistake of parking next to David Hill's gorgeous 300 convertible, making my car totally invisible. . .

IMG_20210709_084442900.jpg

I just realized I never completed documenting this stage of my progress with the re-assembly of the interior. At the time (last year), I was on a mission to get the car ready for Carlisle. So here are a few shots showing how it all finally worked out:

View attachment 520982

View attachment 520983

View attachment 520984

View attachment 520985View attachment 520986

View attachment 520987

And we did make it to Carlisle. I don't wanna say this journey has been some kind of an immaculate conception, but originally, I was sure I would bring the car to Carlisle in 2016. . . As you can see, I made the mistake of parking next to David Hill's gorgeous 300 convertible, making my car totally invisible. . .

View attachment 520988

One more thing: You may have noticed the 'GLADYS' 1966 North Carolina license plate installed on my car. Gladys was the original owner of my car. I found out about her by looking at the name and address shown on the CertiCard I found in it's pocket on the radiator support. A year ago, I Googled her name, etc. in hopes of finding her and obtaining additional information concerning her and the car. Unfortunately, I found her obituary.

Thinking the obituary was a dead end, I read through it and discovered Gladys had a son named Roger, who lives in Carlisle, PA. I Googled Roger and found out he is in business in Carlisle; I also found his phone number. I called him, and he was delighted to hear I owned his mother's car. He told me a few stories about the car and the adventures he and his cousin had racing the car out on the interstate. He also told me his mother was small in stature and had trouble reaching the pedals to drive the car - so she didn't drive it a lot. Apparently, her husband was a big Chrysler fan, and it's clear to me now that he filled out the order sheet.

Before I arrived at Carlisle this year, I called Roger again and arranged to meet him and his wife for lunch on Sunday, after I departed from the fairgrounds. We had a wonderful conversation during which Roger told all the wait staff at the restaurant about his mother's car. It was a somewhat moving occasion; some of them were in tears. I was choked up a little too - I didn't expect our visit to turn out like that. . . Here is a picture of Roger and his wife next to Gladys holding a picture of her. The photo was taken at about the same time she owned the car. Roger gave me the photo, and I placed it in the glove compartment.

IMG_20210711_121527844.jpg

Every old car has a story to tell. I am so lucky to have found Gladys' story.

I gotta story like that about my car as well. To keep it short, I'm the 2nd owner of my car, and my Dad used to carpool to work in it everyday. The owner and his wife would come every year for T-giving as well. The car's name is "Dusty" as Howards nickname was "Dusty", seems to fit cause every time I take it out it always has a layer of dust on it!:thumbsup:

@Ripinator, I remember you telling me about the potential meet-up, I'm glad it happened, that's a great story. That's the one thing about a yard-find, especially a 1970, unless you find docs or a build sheet, there is absolutely nothing to learn beyond what you can see in front of you.

That is a great story Rip. I could see where one could get misty eyed. And by the way your car would and does in that pic capture my attention over David’s car, no offense to David or his beautiful car but I’m a slab guy through and through.

Thanks for updating us on the interior and the original owner story. I love to know the history of anything older which I might own.

I had a similar experience with finding Goldie's original owner. Now I need to actually meet up with her kids. Seems like something I need to do this summer.

The Saga never ends. Spent a lotta time repairing a left side blown up axle bearing on the '66 convertible. While we were in there, also replaced the brakes and the hardware. Also installed a 2.91 Sure Grip diff. Here's a few photos of the carnage.

IMG_20220521_132516389.jpg

IMG_20220731_104002315.jpg

IMG_20220731_104043410_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220731_104120913_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220731_115041701_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220731_120413730_HDR.jpg

I should also put a shout out to Craig at @mobileparts for hooking me up with all the NOS brake hardware, including new NOS drums.

Last edited:
The Saga never ends. Spent a lotta time repairing a left side blown up axle bearing on the '66 convertible. While we were in there, also replaced the brakes and the hardware. Also installed a 2.91 Sure Grip diff. Here's a few photos of the carnage.

View attachment 548258

View attachment 548259

View attachment 548260

View attachment 548261

View attachment 548262

View attachment 548263

2.91? Jeezes, Rip..... :poke:

Yeah. I replaced the peg leg 3.23. It was a good gear, but the car always felt like it needed to shift one more time after settling down in third gear. I'm hoping the 2.91 will help to cure that.

Back