The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

Yeah. I replaced the peg leg 3.23. It was a good gear, but the car always felt like it needed to shift one more time after settling down in third gear. I'm hoping the 2.91 will help to cure that.
I have 2.94 gears in the Boab. Great gear for highway and with a 28 inch tall tire still fun from light to light.

I'm working on the back seat interior in my 66 300 convertible. I have a panel that attaches to the back seat back where the rear seat speaker resides. I'm not sure how it attaches. A couple of photos are shown below. Does the panel attach under the long slotted trim strip? Or does attach on top of it?

I can't believe I've been working on this car for six years. . .

IMG_20230125_151436196_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_151338529_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_151251984_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_151244390_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_151202224_HDR.jpg

Did your 66 have the oval speaker cover that goes over the back of the speaker? I have found one, and repaired it and installed it, not the best but better than the gaping speaker hole in the rear of the seat! At least I think so. It is a really flimsy plastic job, but I am told it is correct. Been trying to find a photo of what really covered the rear speaker originally in a 67 drop top, but it seems that everyone breaks the one they have, or had! Not surprising given the brittleness of that thin plastic. Love that year of convertible!

IMG_0204[1].JPG

Did your 66 have the oval speaker cover that goes over the back of the speaker? I have found one, and repaired it and installed it, not the best but better than the gaping speaker hole in the rear of the seat! At least I think so. It is a really flimsy plastic job, but I am told it is correct. Been trying to find a photo of what really covered the rear speaker originally in a 67 drop top, but it seems that everyone breaks the one they have, or had! Not surprising given the brittleness of that thin plastic. Love that year of convertible!

View attachment 578410
That really looks like an abbreviated version of the later cover. Not a cheap fix to do it that way, but it makes me wonder if ABC could tool up for a replacement

1969/70 C Body Convertible Rear Seat Speaker Cover

It goes underneath the slotted strip on my 67 and held in by the same screws that attach the strip. Camshaft

Thank you so much for confirming my suspicions. One more question: I have nine screws holding that metal trim piece to the top of the seat back. Are there additional screws at the sides or is the panel only secured at the top of the seat back?

Last edited:

View attachment 578410

No. My car had no panel on the seat-back and of course, no cover for the speaker. Your cover is exactly what I need for mine. Where did you get it?

That really looks like an abbreviated version of the later cover. Not a cheap fix to do it that way, but it makes me wonder if ABC could tool up for a replacement

1969/70 C Body Convertible Rear Seat Speaker Cover

Thanks a lot, John for the suggestion. Looking at that cover, I don't think it would work too well, and I would be reluctant to butcher up a $170 cover. Maybe Murray has a cover like the one Camshaft has that would work for me. . .

In addition to the speaker cover and seat-back panel issue, I also hafta figure out how to wire / hook up the reverb unit. It is mounted under and in back of the seat bottom; there is a pair of wires coming from it which I assume should attach to the spade lugs on the speaker. I think a speaker ground is also required, but I don't know. The shop manual is no help and it has no wiring diagram - although there is a drawing showing the reverb connection to the front speaker.

My metal trim piece has 11 screws and the rear seat panel board itself has an additional 2 on each end and 2 more under the speaker cover. Now I do not know if they are all original but they look like they are. The speaker cover has a flat insert on the top that has predrilled holes in it that match up with the holes in the metal trim, and also holes on each side of the speaker cover that match up with the two screws that are used to attach it. I can't believe that is a co-incidence. I bought a bunch of stuff off of someone on FBBO and just happened to ask him if he had one. He did but it was in about 5 pieces. He shipped it to me and I used Plastic Surgery to put it back together and painted it. I actually saw one on FBBO at some point and that got me thinking that it was probably correct. I am still not sure if it is correct for 1967, no way to tell. Cam

IMG_0206[1].JPG

IMG_0207[1].JPG

My metal trim piece has 11 screws and the rear seat panel board itself has an additional 2 on each end and 2 more under the speaker cover. Now I do not know if they are all original but they look like they are. The speaker cover has a flat insert on the top that has predrilled holes in it that match up with the holes in the metal trim, and also holes on each side of the speaker cover that match up with the two screws that are used to attach it. I can't believe that is a co-incidence. I bought a bunch of stuff off of someone on FBBO and just happened to ask him if he had one. He did but it was in about 5 pieces. He shipped it to me and I used Plastic Surgery to put it back together and painted it. I actually saw one on FBBO at some point and that got me thinking that it was probably correct. I am still not sure if it is correct for 1967, no way to tell. Cam

View attachment 578452

View attachment 578453

Thank you again for being so helpful. These photos are exactly what I needed. BTW, is there an additional wire from your speaker to a ground?

No, the speaker is not grounded. I have a connection with 2 spades into the speaker itself, which runs down the inside of the seat and comes out the bottom of the seat above the reverb unit. There is a connection there for each wire, so you can unplug easily if you have to take the rear seat out. The connected wire runs into the reverb unit. See pics.

IMG_0208[1].JPG

IMG_0209[1].JPG

IMG_0210[1].JPG

View attachment 578452

View attachment 578453

Looky here: 65/66 CDP C-BODY CONV. REAR SEAT SPEAKER COVER - PEARL WHT | Legendary Auto Interiors
I just started Googling around, and found a listing at Classic Industries that indicated a Legendary product. Looks like they have several colors including black and Pearl White. No picture / photo however. . .

No, the speaker is not grounded. I have a connection with 2 spades into the speaker itself, which runs down the inside of the seat and comes out the bottom of the seat above the reverb unit. There is a connection there for each wire, so you can unplug easily if you have to take the rear seat out. The connected wire runs into the reverb unit. See pics.

View attachment 578460

View attachment 578461

View attachment 578462

Wow! Deja vu all over again. You must be traveling the same road I am on. . . That is exactly how my reverb setup looks - even the fat mat insulation! Thank you thank you so much.

Yes I am on that road! I laughed at your thread for removing the rear quarter window regulators in these convertibles. Waiting on some roller brackets for mine. I saw the ad for Classic Industries speaker cover but with no photo as well. If they post a photo I might order one, see if I get before next Christmas!

Yes I am on that road! I laughed at your thread for removing the rear quarter window regulators in these convertibles. Waiting on some roller brackets for mine. I saw the ad for Classic Industries speaker cover but with no photo as well. If they post a photo I might order one, see if I get before next Christmas!

Cam: I ordered the speaker cover from Legendary. I'll post a photo when I receive it.

Thank you again for responding to my dilemma. I would have been lost without you. . .

Rip

What does this reverb unit do? Is this part of a premium sound package? My car just has one crappy speaker in the seat.

What does this reverb unit do? Is this part of a premium sound package? My car just has one crappy speaker in the seat.

There is a current discussion on the 300 Club, Intl list server about radios, etc. One of the guys described the reverb feature this way:

"the Reverb function was an early attempt to add stereo without having the needed Radio signals.
What it actually did was to take what was playing on the dash radio and delay the signal and then play it on the rear speaker. So, it's an electronic trick, to fool your ears."

Back