The toys that made a difference to you...

COX tether cars

1664501419172.png

1664501542091.png

1664501725624.png

1664502068955.png

Last edited:
I had this model circa. 1970. Cox engine, tethered (goes in a circle), hard-plastic tires made for a bumpy ride. It didn't last very long or I wasn't very careful with it.

Mine is long gone of course but saw this one on Ebay listed for $270.

map2.png

Last edited:
ho cars remember my thumb hurting from pushing the plunger down all day ( 60's )
Vintage-1960s-Aurora-Slot-Car-Controller-Sold.jpg

Seems like '66 or '67, I had to have THIS one with the mountains ... But 55 years ago or so today, it wasn't to be. It was another set (can't remember the brand ..) that didn't have mountains.

map 3AFG.png

BTW ... $19.99 in 1966 money is about $190.00 in 2022 money. not really cheap. could be why i didn't get it. :)

Last edited:
My American Flyer, trains. They introduced me to electricity and due to their demise, had me switch to HO scale and the basics of soldering and doing the neccessary maintance to keep them running. Which gave me the foundation to my craft. Great birthday present.

20221223_133413.jpg

How did the locomotive make "steam"?

:thankyou:
There us a 20-30 ohm wrap of nichrome wire around a wick that is saturated with fluid. The vaporized fluid is pushed out with a air piston driven in and out if a chamber. Or very carfully by the minature fireman scooping coal.

1947 -- my Dad was 13 (maybe age of kid in the ad), my Mom was 8 -- so I decades away from arriving on the scene :).

I wanted one (something with you'd leave set up in the basement for example_ in the 60's but alas a father/son deal that me Pop never got to). This was is advertised as 50 inches by 90 inches.

1672410336919.png

I had a kick *** mongoose BMX much like this one....my 'goose I used to call it. Everybody had mag wheels and pads. Jumped every and anything. Started building them from scratch with some tools my dad gave me one christmas. After that I graduated to cars.

View attachment 34205
Same here. Had my first 70' Charger R/T at 15.
I had a kick *** mongoose BMX much like this one....my 'goose I used to call it. Everybody had mag wheels and pads. Jumped every and anything. Started building them from scratch with some tools my dad gave me one christmas. After that I graduated to cars.

View attachment 34205
Same here. BmX bikes, then off to cars. I had my first 70' R/T charger at 15 years old. I still have my toys. Hot Wheels, Matchbox cars, garages and tracks, Tonka trucks, other diecast cars and trucks. Star Wars, slot cars and tracks, HO trains and track, action figures, Atari 2600, Coleco, Nintendo games. My kids all played with them along with all of their own toys and now have 3 Grand kids so far that will play with it all. My Grandson already playing with his original owner, numbers matching, all original 69 Charger.

20220330_202326.jpg

20220330_202323.jpg

1964/65 or so?

I did NOT have this but a cousin did. I remember playing with it. Seems my youngest sister had a Barbie version year or two later.

Phillips-66.jpg
Phillips-66A.jpg

my kids (born mid-late 80's)? they had this fella that has gotta be from 1960 or so. they played with this dude for hours and hours.
51C2daBuleS.jpg

my now three-year old grandson has this thing? This to me is fine. Digital technology-enabled imagination applied to a Mattel-o-phone.

But the fact he can use my daughter's i-Phone 14? Naw - "penalty flag" on that....:stop:

and-learn-mobile-starter-smartphone-29619928531031.jpg

The most advanced piece of kit I had growing up was my blue Gameboy Color but man did I love that thing

If ya gotta ask, you ain't old enough ... or you had cooler stuff as a kid :poke:

taught patience, dexterity, and how to handle losing to "girls"!
81le-bfywmL.jpg

Back