The toys that made a difference to you...

0325201752.jpg

For the uninitiated ... and/or the kids with cooler toys growing up :). we played this one for hours at a time, on a table like this one.

s-l500.jpg

They have already been mentioned but at first it was Lincoln logs. Quickly went to Tinker Toys with wheels and rubber bands but the little slots on the end would stop gripping or break which lead me to the most influential being Legos. As I grew and got less interested they introduced the technical sets with motors and gears. I was hooked again. Big deal. I just spent $$ on Duplos for my brothers kid this Christmas That led to model cars. So for me it wasn't so much taking things/cars apart and putting them back together. More like creating something familiar from abstract stuff.

Also in the gray area is a sandbox. So exciting when dad would back the truck up to the hole in the ground and dump in the mounds of cold sand into the sand "box" hole.

Bring it full circle next week I will be "playing" with TinkerCad. I haven't changed.

1672940606498.png

Rock em sock em robots, I remember these from childhood. What was great was Mattel still made them and I got them for my boys when they were young. They couldn't believe they kept loosing to Dad
years of practice with that toy . i have so much stuff in my garagre it will take you 4/5 hours to see everything. with more to come

I still have mine... blue guy still wearing his name (Red guy name is lost -- He was the "Red Rocker")

IMG_3822.jpg
IMG_3819.JPG
IMG_3815.JPG
IMG_3816.JPG

A lot of us did slot cars. I had a few 1/24 scale cars that I messed with at a commercial track back in the 60's.

This particular one I still have, along with the box. I just got a replacement body the other day. This pic isn't of mine, but it's exactly what I bought in 1966. It was one of the things that ignited my passion for Mopars. The real one is pretty wild! And is still around too!

Testors 1.jpg

image.jpg

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...ered-mckee-mk-v-sports-racer-heads-to-auction

When I was 7 or 8 we had a Brix Blox set which was Sears' version of Legos. My brother and I would put together 4 wheeled vehicles and then ram them together to see who's survived the longest before totally falling to apart. That was great fun seeing the pieces go flying. It was like a primative version of those robot wars they have now.

1673036280535.png

Back