VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): LS313136 Mileage: 52431
Interior Color: Red Fuel Type: Gasoline
Body Type: Coupe For Sale By: Private Seller
Warranty: Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty Trim: Sportman
Drive Side: Left-hand drive Model: FireFlite
Number of Cylinders: 8 Power Options: Power Seats
Transmission: Automatic Vehicle Title: Clean
Make: DeSoto Engine: V8 361 motor with 305 bhp

This 1958 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman 2 doors Hard Top Coupe is a superb example of this rare high-line model, positioned near the top of the DeSoto lineup just below the sporty Adventurer. Only 3264 Sportman Fireflite Two Doors Hard Top was made in 1958. This specific model goes out of the factory on July 1 1958 and it was a very limited edition called “Spring Special” because it was designed by the spring and comes with a unique options that includes 'Machine Aluminum Side Panels, Stainless Rocker Panel Moldings, and 8 trim chrome pieces on the lid trunk'.

HISTORY:
The DeSoto’s long-time 2nd owner, Mr. Byron Shoemaker, discovered this car in the spring of 1971 while sitting in a diner with friends in Palmyra, Pennsylvania. He was a car collector and had a long-time appreciation for “Forward Look DeSotos”, and when he spotted this car driving by the diner, he promptly chased it down. In chatting with the man, he discovered the elderly driver was the original owner. It was originally purchased at Reedman Chrysler Dealer, in Langhorne, PA in the summer of 1958. He also owned a 1958 Chrysler imperial, and a 1957 Chrysler as part of his collection documented by Chrysler Historical Letter, also copy of this BUILD CARD is included, (see pic). Mr Shoemaker passed in 2017 where some relative kept the car and commissioned to the prestigious Antique Dealer RB Collections in Allentown PA. Even though the title say exempt, Prove that the actuals 52,431 miles are originals will be included, because the car come with a lot of documents, invoices and receipts that's prove it in a chronological order... the car had, 27,701 in 1975, 35,712, in 1978, 41,082 in 1980, 51644 in 2016 etc.

POWERTRAIN... ENGINE & TRANSMISSION:
The car has his original V8–361 cubic inch engine with the Carter 4 barrel carburetor, AFB 2642S that produced, 305 bhp. (Compression 10 to 1). With what Chrysler named, Constant Power Steering and Power Brakes, It also comes with Famous Torque Flite three speed push button transmission changing gears without issues and the incomparable smooth and new by that time, 'Torsion Aire Ride Suspension' bar for better handle... No lean on curves!
This car is very well-known to RB Collection, as they have serviced since 2016 on behalf of his regular client, RB Collection was commissioned to perform a comprehensive and mechanical overhaul which included a fully rebuilt engine, rebuilt automatic transmission (by their own in-house transmission expert), restored fuel system, cooling system with re-cored radiator, and a brake system overhaul. (invoices included) until I bought the car in September 2019.. Honestly, I'm collecting cars for almost 30 years and this is the first car I have that it does not leak!

EXTERIOR: BODY
The car was extensively restored in 1985 with the Color Sweep Two Tone Combination “Pearl White” and “Steel Smokey Gray”. It is an elegant and lovely combination still in great cosmetic condition with a warm patina acquired through years of care and enjoyment.
In the passenger door just below the window, it has few small spots together were the color fade but is still protected by the based coat clear coat layer, that's why I didn't touch it. You have to be very close to see it (see pic). Also in both sides below the stainless rocket panel molding, were the body ends, there are couple of lines with surface rust, only noticeable if you elevate the car in a plant (see pic), but in general, paint is still in very good shape and shining and body is solid as you can see from every angle. All windows are originals and works perfectly as well the calouvar windshield.The two-tone elegant pearl white with dark gray roof color scheme, suits the dramatic lines of the car extremely well, particularly with the contrasting red & silver interior.
The extensive chrome trims and brightwork are in fine order, with the distinct sweeping body side treatment. The HUGE bumpers were replated and some other miscellaneous pieces were either replated or replaced with NOS parts. You can notice that front photo shows the dimension of the grill and bumper. Due to the years there some light pitting in small details like small window frame vent and passenger mirror. All long stainless steel and aluminum moldings are in EXCELLENT conditions including the stainless steel drain strip below the wipers. The car rides on proper medium width whitewall tires and the wheels wear factory-original stainless hubcaps. Lights and signal indicators are working perfectly. Around 2005 it had some fixes and replacements like weatherstrips, carpet etc. (receipts included).

INTERIOR:
Headliner is still the original with typical yellowish due to the age but in 1985 the interior was also redone and still is outstanding in red & gray with silver accents, with a similar careworn patina. In the driver seat, it have a small disjointed in the cloth were the red cloth tie the gray vinyl for about three inches. The cloth insert in the seat and side panels were replaced with NOS material in the original color and pattern. Most of the vinyl is original with the exception of the top of the rear seat and the door arm rest. The carpet and dash panel cover was also replaced. The front kick panel was replaced in 2003. The rear shelf is still original.

TRUNK:
With his original jack and replaced cardboard trunk liners as part of the restoration, the trunk also comes with a very hard to find original Rubber Matt showing some deterioration and stains due to the age, but still in good shape with the DeSoto logo stamped in raise letters!

ACCESORIES:
Original Signal Search push button radio and Clock (it doesn't work) with dual antennas. It also comes with 6 way Power Seats positions working perfectly. This car also comes with a Calouvar Bubble Canopy Windshield allowed on Hard Tops and Convertibles only and also with a Bubble canopy-styled rear window giving new flavor to styling for passengers in the rear seat creating more visibility.

UNDERCARRIAGE:
Picture speak for itself, this is a solid car below and above the chassis. The restoration respect the originality of this vehicle in each part of the car. At some point during restoration it was converted from single to dual exhaust. This makes improvement running even better and produces a robust sound but quite. Left muffler was changed very recently.

DOCUMENTATION:
With clean Florida title, evidence of the history of the car will be included with receipts, invoices etc thorough the years since 1974 until 2018 (RB Collection). As well a 1958 brochure and manual and historical letter, Build Card with details from Chrysler (2011).
Definitely when you compare how nice & solid the car looks & runs versus the documentation, even thought it has an old restoration, you can appreciate this Fireflite had a lot of TLC across the years with restorations, partial updates and maintenance during all his life.

______________________________________________________________________________________

PAYMENT AND TRANSPORTATION:
This auction is from a private seller. Only a deposit of $500. should be paid via PayPal no later than 2 days after the auction close... the rest of payment should be wire transfer or it can be check ( usually takes a week more or less ) or cashier check, but delivery after payment is done. Questions...? Ed Suarez 305" 331 1817 (more pictures are available).
Buyer is responsible for transportation cost, but I'm able to help in this coordination... car is located in Miami, Florida.
Remember..., this is a NO Reserve, Auction... You Bid, you're in... good luck!

Check this car in action on my You tube video:

As part of the Chrysler family, with his elegant style and combination of colors, this De Luxe DeSoto Fireflite Sportman Two Door Hard Top is definitely, a 'turn head vehicle' ready to be enjoyed by someone who appreciate the climax of the 50's Luxury cars era!

That's a pretty car.

"These Cars Seem to be Getting More Affordable"

I think we'll see the sale price/value trend line decline in general for these cars and others
from this generation and earlier as generational buyers continue to "age-out". I've been told that '40 Fords have already done this. I only know a hand full of people my age who even know of Desoto/Studebaker/Packard/Nash/etc, and that's a shame as there are some beautiful cars from years past (pre-muscle-car-era).

On Ebay currently:

1958 DeSoto FireFlite Sportman | eBay

Starting bid:
US $42,500.00
Enter US $42,500.00 or more

Price:
US $44,500.00

View attachment 460479

View attachment 460480

View attachment 460481

View attachment 460482

View attachment 460483

View attachment 460484

View attachment 460485

View attachment 460486

Item specifics
Condition: Used Year: 1958
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): LS313136 Mileage: 52431
Interior Color: Red Fuel Type: Gasoline
Body Type: Coupe For Sale By: Private Seller
Warranty: Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty Trim: Sportman
Drive Side: Left-hand drive Model: FireFlite
Number of Cylinders: 8 Power Options: Power Seats
Transmission: Automatic Vehicle Title: Clean
Make: DeSoto Engine: V8 361 motor with 305 bhp

This 1958 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman 2 doors Hard Top Coupe is a superb example of this rare high-line model, positioned near the top of the DeSoto lineup just below the sporty Adventurer. Only 3264 Sportman Fireflite Two Doors Hard Top was made in 1958. This specific model goes out of the factory on July 1 1958 and it was a very limited edition called “Spring Special” because it was designed by the spring and comes with a unique options that includes 'Machine Aluminum Side Panels, Stainless Rocker Panel Moldings, and 8 trim chrome pieces on the lid trunk'.

HISTORY:
The DeSoto’s long-time 2nd owner, Mr. Byron Shoemaker, discovered this car in the spring of 1971 while sitting in a diner with friends in Palmyra, Pennsylvania. He was a car collector and had a long-time appreciation for “Forward Look DeSotos”, and when he spotted this car driving by the diner, he promptly chased it down. In chatting with the man, he discovered the elderly driver was the original owner. It was originally purchased at Reedman Chrysler Dealer, in Langhorne, PA in the summer of 1958. He also owned a 1958 Chrysler imperial, and a 1957 Chrysler as part of his collection documented by Chrysler Historical Letter, also copy of this BUILD CARD is included, (see pic). Mr Shoemaker passed in 2017 where some relative kept the car and commissioned to the prestigious Antique Dealer RB Collections in Allentown PA. Even though the title say exempt, Prove that the actuals 52,431 miles are originals will be included, because the car come with a lot of documents, invoices and receipts that's prove it in a chronological order... the car had, 27,701 in 1975, 35,712, in 1978, 41,082 in 1980, 51644 in 2016 etc.

POWERTRAIN... ENGINE & TRANSMISSION:
The car has his original V8–361 cubic inch engine with the Carter 4 barrel carburetor, AFB 2642S that produced, 305 bhp. (Compression 10 to 1). With what Chrysler named, Constant Power Steering and Power Brakes, It also comes with Famous Torque Flite three speed push button transmission changing gears without issues and the incomparable smooth and new by that time, 'Torsion Aire Ride Suspension' bar for better handle... No lean on curves!
This car is very well-known to RB Collection, as they have serviced since 2016 on behalf of his regular client, RB Collection was commissioned to perform a comprehensive and mechanical overhaul which included a fully rebuilt engine, rebuilt automatic transmission (by their own in-house transmission expert), restored fuel system, cooling system with re-cored radiator, and a brake system overhaul. (invoices included) until I bought the car in September 2019.. Honestly, I'm collecting cars for almost 30 years and this is the first car I have that it does not leak!

EXTERIOR: BODY
The car was extensively restored in 1985 with the Color Sweep Two Tone Combination “Pearl White” and “Steel Smokey Gray”. It is an elegant and lovely combination still in great cosmetic condition with a warm patina acquired through years of care and enjoyment.
In the passenger door just below the window, it has few small spots together were the color fade but is still protected by the based coat clear coat layer, that's why I didn't touch it. You have to be very close to see it (see pic). Also in both sides below the stainless rocket panel molding, were the body ends, there are couple of lines with surface rust, only noticeable if you elevate the car in a plant (see pic), but in general, paint is still in very good shape and shining and body is solid as you can see from every angle. All windows are originals and works perfectly as well the calouvar windshield.The two-tone elegant pearl white with dark gray roof color scheme, suits the dramatic lines of the car extremely well, particularly with the contrasting red & silver interior.
The extensive chrome trims and brightwork are in fine order, with the distinct sweeping body side treatment. The HUGE bumpers were replated and some other miscellaneous pieces were either replated or replaced with NOS parts. You can notice that front photo shows the dimension of the grill and bumper. Due to the years there some light pitting in small details like small window frame vent and passenger mirror. All long stainless steel and aluminum moldings are in EXCELLENT conditions including the stainless steel drain strip below the wipers. The car rides on proper medium width whitewall tires and the wheels wear factory-original stainless hubcaps. Lights and signal indicators are working perfectly. Around 2005 it had some fixes and replacements like weatherstrips, carpet etc. (receipts included).

INTERIOR:
Headliner is still the original with typical yellowish due to the age but in 1985 the interior was also redone and still is outstanding in red & gray with silver accents, with a similar careworn patina. In the driver seat, it have a small disjointed in the cloth were the red cloth tie the gray vinyl for about three inches. The cloth insert in the seat and side panels were replaced with NOS material in the original color and pattern. Most of the vinyl is original with the exception of the top of the rear seat and the door arm rest. The carpet and dash panel cover was also replaced. The front kick panel was replaced in 2003. The rear shelf is still original.

TRUNK:
With his original jack and replaced cardboard trunk liners as part of the restoration, the trunk also comes with a very hard to find original Rubber Matt showing some deterioration and stains due to the age, but still in good shape with the DeSoto logo stamped in raise letters!

ACCESORIES:
Original Signal Search push button radio and Clock (it doesn't work) with dual antennas. It also comes with 6 way Power Seats positions working perfectly. This car also comes with a Calouvar Bubble Canopy Windshield allowed on Hard Tops and Convertibles only and also with a Bubble canopy-styled rear window giving new flavor to styling for passengers in the rear seat creating more visibility.

UNDERCARRIAGE:
Picture speak for itself, this is a solid car below and above the chassis. The restoration respect the originality of this vehicle in each part of the car. At some point during restoration it was converted from single to dual exhaust. This makes improvement running even better and produces a robust sound but quite. Left muffler was changed very recently.

DOCUMENTATION:
With clean Florida title, evidence of the history of the car will be included with receipts, invoices etc thorough the years since 1974 until 2018 (RB Collection). As well a 1958 brochure and manual and historical letter, Build Card with details from Chrysler (2011).
Definitely when you compare how nice & solid the car looks & runs versus the documentation, even thought it has an old restoration, you can appreciate this Fireflite had a lot of TLC across the years with restorations, partial updates and maintenance during all his life.

______________________________________________________________________________________

PAYMENT AND TRANSPORTATION:
This auction is from a private seller. Only a deposit of $500. should be paid via PayPal no later than 2 days after the auction close... the rest of payment should be wire transfer or it can be check ( usually takes a week more or less ) or cashier check, but delivery after payment is done. Questions...? Ed Suarez 305" 331 1817 (more pictures are available).
Buyer is responsible for transportation cost, but I'm able to help in this coordination... car is located in Miami, Florida.
Remember..., this is a NO Reserve, Auction... You Bid, you're in... good luck!

Check this car in action on my You tube video:

As part of the Chrysler family, with his elegant style and combination of colors, this De Luxe DeSoto Fireflite Sportman Two Door Hard Top is definitely, a 'turn head vehicle' ready to be enjoyed by someone who appreciate the climax of the 50's Luxury cars era!

So Steve. . . Are you down ?

A bit off topic but I will put this here. I think this is very well done. A Slight custom but nothing over bearing at all. Keyword is Tasteful.

20210520_121309.jpg

When (not if) EVs roll out in droves, prices of our vehicles will plummet is my projection.

Then the whole hobby will quickly meet its end since EVs will be electronic nightmares after they are used up and likely seen as just appliances like washing machines and refrigerators in short order.

The restoration respect the originality of this vehicle in each part of the car. At some point during restoration it was converted from single to dual exhaust. This makes improvement running even better and produces a robust sound but quite. Left muffler was changed very recently.

Then it was NOT restored if they changed the exhaust system...I call bullshit.

Everybody calm down, haha.

@marty mopar - Restored/modified....I don't think the seller is misleading anyone. If I bought it, and it were single exhaust, putting duals on would be the first priority.

@saforwardlook , I want to disagree because I really don't want that to happen, at least in my lifetime. Despite the EV thing, generations dying off, and skills being lost, nothing can take away the intrinsic value and coolness of these cars that represented America when we were at our peak. The young folks on here (younger than me) give me hope that the hobby will carry on at least for another 60 years.
I think the turning point for the hobby will be when transportation changes fundamentally, not just their power source.

Back to the DeSoto - I wanted to mention that the video is excellent and gets the job done efficiently. Homemade yet 'produced' to some extent, not too long, no talking, good camera holding skills, captures most of the important areas with the right amount of zoom.

The car has disappeared from ebay. two listings, no bids, "removed due to error in listing", it says.... :confused:

That usually indicates someone made the seller an offer outside of ebay that was hard to turn down given the pace of bidding. By accepting an offer outside of ebay, the seller also avoids paying the ebay fee for selling the car. That error excuse is just a way to avoid the ebay fees and still use ebay to advertise it in order to sell it.

Just for thge interrested: The 1959 Imperial's length is 226.3" and 81" wide. The 1960 Imperial length is 228" and 80.1" wide. The funny thing is I saw a figure of 226.3" length for the '60 but later found out it is 228"!

Back