These Cars Seem to be Getting More Affordable - 1958 Desoto Spring Special

Just for thge interrested: The 1959 Imperial's length is 226.3" and 81" wide. The 1960 Imperial length is 228" and 80.1" wide. The funny thing is I saw a figure of 226.3" length for the '60 but later found out it is 228"!
Thank you for making me cross these cars off my shopping list because they won't fit in my garage.

I'm a bit late to the party on this one. I don't have too much to contribute, but it was interesting to see that Bob Malone did the upholstery work on the car back in 1985. He's done a few things for me over the years. He's moved from Allentown to Perkasie and works out of a place that restores foreign cars. I actually applied for, and got accepted for a job at the same place, but ended up taking a higher paying job offer instead.

Have no idea who McCluskey actually is. Bob may have bought out an existing upholstery business when he got started. I haven't seen one of his adds since some time in April, but I don't think he advertises when he's got plenty of work to do.

The receipt for the Desoto.
s-l1600.jpg

Add from the local Penny Power.
mccluskey.jpg

Jeff

That's a pretty car.

"These Cars Seem to be Getting More Affordable"

I think we'll see the sale price/value trend line decline in general for these cars and others
from this generation and earlier as generational buyers continue to "age-out". I've been told that '40 Fords have already done this. I only know a hand full of people my age who even know of Desoto/Studebaker/Packard/Nash/etc, and that's a shame as there are some beautiful cars from years past (pre-muscle-car-era).

I disagree. I've privately sold cars from the forward look era for serious money. However, that's for the best cars. The top of the market is incredibly strong. This car is a 37 year old restoration. If it brings anywhere near the original asking price, I'd say that's very strong.

I disagree. I've privately sold cars from the forward look era for serious money. However, that's for the best cars. The top of the market is incredibly strong. This car is a 37 year old restoration. If it brings anywhere near the original asking price, I'd say that's very strong.

Looks like it did sell, but there will be no way to know the price.

During it's third round on ebay, it appears that a behind the scenes deal was struck and the listing was ended.

Jeff

Hagerty Valuation:
1)$58,800
2)$45,800
3)$30,400
4)$17,100

Trending upward by approximately 2% over the past 2 years.

I wonder what ever happened to the beautiful DeSoto in this topic? I still dream about it.
Easy to see why, One of Best 57/58 De Soto‘s I’ve ever seen! I’m partial to 58s and I’ve never seen or heard of this spring special edition Fireflite. The stainless steel insert on the spear is amazing! Probably the most unique 57/58 on the planet, I can’t imagine there’s another one of these out there, certainly not in this condition. I wish I could agree with the original poster on the value coming down on DeSotos of this era, I just don’t think it will ever happen. These cars are incredibly rare with very few survivors, particularly in this condition. Plus they are beautiful cars that just scream The best of the era. I certainly couldn’t afford thr 40k ish this car probably sold for, but I think it was still certainly a good buy for whoever purchased it. Thanks to the OP who started this thread, it’s always a joy for me to take in these De Soto‘s, and such a unique one at that :)

Steve weim55 Colorado

Back