Thin Stripe Whitewall Sources

I may consider using "tire stickers" as a solution. Solves two problems. One, gives flexibility in tire selection - better tire quality available for BW 235/15 tires versus only WW. Second, they have a 1/2" stripe (and 3/4). Major question is if these decals will look ok or even stay adhered against a textured sidewall. Anybody try these?

https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/white-wall-tires/

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I may consider using "tire stickers" as a solution. Solves two problems. One, gives flexibility in tire selection - better tire quality available for BW 235/15 tires versus only WW. Second, they have a 1/2" stripe (and 3/4). Major question is if these decals will look ok or even stay adhered against a textured sidewall. Anybody try these?

https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/white-wall-tires/

View attachment 114602 View attachment 114604

Never saw these, would like to see them in person. I would say you could smooth a sidewall in much the same manner as converting letters to stripes. That would also provide a pretty good tooth.

This is always a tough issue for me in trying to get the 235-75-15 whitewalls for my cars. I have bought the Cooper Trendsetter tires in the past, the Pep Boys Futura brand as well (but not seeing that option anymore where I live) and the Optimo H724s as well to compare them. The Trendsetters and futuras are OK, but the tread itelf is a little more narrow than the H724s, and the tread designs are more noisy than the Optimos (which have a much more modern tread design). The Optimos also have the higher load rating which I appreciate, 108S vs 105s for the others. But I really don't like that the Optimos have too much styling going on on the sidewalls and having the name "Hancook" on the sidewall just doesn't fit with an older American car, and I don't want to contribute to lost jobs here in the U.S. I still don't have a good solution that is cost effective. I was not aware of Nextgen tires but they have the overseas issue as well, but it seems very hard to beat the price and the sidewall isn't as badly unsuited. No wonder the U.S. struggles when selling obsolete products - can't Cooper update the tread design, upgrade the load rating and be more competitive? :BangHead:

I personally believe that fixing our trade deals is a non-partisan issue - the only difference is that I don't believe we ought to isolate ourselves from the rest of the world and not participate at all in them at all, which seems to be the current administration's direction at this point. I think we would lose jobs if we isolate ourselves. But perhaps with the business leaders in the current administration's council, we will still arrive at the best solution. Actually a pretty good selection of participants in the current council including Mara Bara of GM (just outstanding in my view) and Elon Musk of Tesla. Well balanced it seems to me overall. I don't think past administrations were content to sit by and watch us getting screwed as much as it is hard to project some of the implications of the decisions made on a world scale, which is why we do need better negotiators, and the council now in place is a good start. But then it is also hard to justify why Obama would close the doors to what was going on in the TPP discussions - a bad mark on him for letting that even happen for sure.

Last edited:
Tthe only difference is that I don't believe we ought to isolate ourselves from the rest of the world and not participate at all in them at all, which seems to be the current administration's direction at this point.

I am having trouble with that right there. So many people saying that, thats not what I see happening at all

I am having trouble with that right there. So many people saying that, thats not what I see happening at all

It is really a matter of survival anymore, Dave, in my opinion. In order for our products to be competitive with those of the rest of the world, so that we do have a large number of good jobs, we have to sell a lot of those products (economies of scale) and that means our businesses need to offer their products at a competitive price with the rest of the world too. If we don't sell in the rest of the world, we will not have high volumes that bring down costs. Our automakers would not survive if they were not world companies because:

1. The volumes would be too low because our prices would be too high,

2. There are not enough buyers in just the U.S. to keep them afloat and

3. We couldn't even then invest in new products since we wouldn't have enough profits to invest with.

If we set up tariffs in the U.S. to exclude other countries from selling to us, because their products would cost too much for us to buy, then they will retaliate and do the same. This leads to trade wars where any business planning is all but impossible. It is much wiser to work out all these issues up front in a trade agreement with everyone involved at the table. If we decide not to participate, then we very much risk all the other countries working agreements out that exclude us. So everyone else at the table thrives because there is certainty in running their business and each participant will have greater sales than if they isolated themselves from the rest of the world.

If our auto companies, at least GM and Ford, and you could argue somewhat FCA (Chrysler) is U.S., didn't sell to Europe and China, for example, I doubt they would even be in business anymore. The reality is that it is just too competitive anymore for us to try to isolate ourselves from the rest of the world. We would gradually evolve into another form of Cuba.

China, for example, doesn't yet have all the tehnology we do, but they are learning and catching up quickly, but they do have lower wages at least for now. We have survived because our better technology trumps their lower wages (there isn't really a Chinese brand vehicle in the U.S. selling at any measurable volume yet because they don't yet have all the technology). So my view is that for us to at least keep competitive, we need to continue to be among the best in tehnology to offset our higher cost of manufacturing. And that means more and better engineers need to graduate from good universities to keep this going because that is what is happening overseas. So, for example, that is why I support finding a way to make college education much more affordable in the U.S. and not something viewed as out of reach for any middle class family anymore.

I hope that makes some sense. I had to look at all these interactions in my last job of 31 years and a lot more. Each of the auto companies will tell you the same thing because that is what they struggle with every day. And that is why I like Trump's business council. I just hope he listens well and places real trust in his advisors. They are all surivors. Then he will be successful too, and that is good for all of us. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
One curb and your $200.00 ersatz stik-on whitewalls are are trash. They will look good with the stik-on Buick portholes, tho.

Just one old man in a hat's opinion,

It is really a matter of survival anymore, Dave, in my opinion. In order for our products to be competitive with those of the rest of the world, so that we do have a large number of good jobs, we have to sell a lot of those products (economies of scale) and that means our businesses need to offer their products at a competitive price with the rest of the world too. If we don't sell in the rest of the world, we will not have high volumes that bring down costs. Our automakers would not survive if they were not world companies because:

1. The volumes would be too low because our prices would be too high,

2. There are not enough buyers in just the U.S. to keep them afloat and

3. We couldn't even then invest in new products since we wouldn't have enough profits to invest with.

If we set up tariffs in the U.S. to exclude other countries from selling to us, because their products would cost too much for us to buy, then they will retaliate and do the same. This leads to trade wars where any business planning is all but impossible. It is much wiser to work out all these issues up front in a trade agreement with everyone involved at the table. If we decide not to participate, then we very much risk all the other countries working agreements out that exclude us. So everyone else at the table thrives because there is certainty in running their business and each participant will have greater sales than if they isolated themselves from the rest of the world.

If our auto companies, at least GM and Ford, and you could argue somewhat FCA (Chrysler) is U.S., didn't sell to Europe and China, for example, I doubt they would even be in business anymore. The reality is that it is just too competitive anymore for us to try to isolate ourselves from the rest of the world. We would gradually evolve into another form of Cuba.

China, for example, doesn't yet have all the tehnology we do, but they are learning and catching up quickly, but they do have lower wages at least for now. We have survived because our better technology trumps their lower wages (there isn't really a Chinese brand vehicle in the U.S. selling at any measurable volume yet because they don't yet have all the technology). So my view is that for us to at least keep competitive, we need to continue to be among the best in tehnology to offset our higher cost of manufacturing. And that means more and better engineers need to graduate from good universities to keep this going because that is what is happening overseas. So, for example, that is why I support finding a way to make college education much more affordable in the U.S. and not something viewed as out of reach for any middle class family anymore.

I hope that makes some sense. I had to look at all these interactions in my last job of 31 years and a lot more. Each of the auto companies will tell you the same thing because that is what they struggle with every day. And that is why I like Trump's business council. I just hope he listens well and places real trust in his advisors. They are all surivors. Then he will be successful too, and that is good for all of us. :thumbsup:

It all makes sense. However those that ride the Trump train view whats happening differently than the naysayers. I believe hes on to something....

I see some people have posted examples of "wider than pinstripe" tires, so in the interest of fair trade, I hereby nominate the tires I just bought. And before you are turned off by the photo, read the 1st review by a "disappointed" buyer:

That's interesting. Maybe a short time source of correct white walls. At least until WalMart corrects it.

I have 4 of the hankook optimo they have a 9/16 white wall nice tread pattern and reasonab
20170212_131604.jpg
le prices

Thanks for that. I'll probably get the Cooper/Mastercrafts. Antiquated tread deisgn but domestic made. Maxxis is a foreign name I trust and they make a a modern 3/4" 235/75 but In the USA, Coker has exclusive dist to it and jacks up the price.

These twin stripe or thinline are what I'm really after (from '73 brochures).
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Found these Toyo Extensa AS 235/75. Have XL ~2000-lb load rating and about $75 shipped. Toyo is one of the better Asian brands. Less gaudy sidewall than Hankook.

IMG_1105.jpg

+1 optimos

my homeboy got his tires ground/cut somehow where they carved out a groove and they added in a gold line around the edge.

IMG_3087.JPG
IMG_3650.JPG
P 235/75/15 5/8 wide white walls are what I run on my car. I bought them at bumper to bumper in Alberta $90 each. I don't know the brand off hand but they handle like a dream at 100 MPH

Back