Thinking of buying a 77 Royal Monaco, what to expect?

Dante41

Reaction score
Howdy! I'm thinking of getting this Royal Monaco once my truck sells:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4737338188.html

Based on the pictures the owner sent me, the thing looks to be in really good shape other than a butt groove in the driver's seat (of course, I'm going to go check it out myself before I put money down). But, I have worries. My family has...history...with pre-Iacocca Chyrsler products. I'm a little bit worried about the transmission in particular; I ran the VIN, it has a 318 with the A904, and I've heard that the A904 can be "particular" if its fluid isn't changed on time.

I've always loved these cars because of the Blues Brothers (don't worry, I'm not going to turn it into another Bluesmobile if I buy it), but I can't afford to do constant repairs. Can one generally stand up to being a DD, or should I just walk away and wait for a more solid financial footing?

These are terrific cars. I gave up my quest for a '77 RM Brougham coupe after finding my '66 Imperial ragtop. I looked at several listed all across the US and in BC, Canada. Just finding one is tough. If this car is at all complete and a good runner, and if you are comfortable with buying it, I'd grab it. The 318 motivates these down the road just fine. I've never heard the 904 having unique problems that don't plague other automatics out there, or the 727. If the trans issue is a buy/don't buy issue, have the car checked out prior to purchase. If you're serious, it's money well-spent.

Personally, I like this shade of Chrysler green over most. Looks like a nice driver. Good luck!

Hey that 318 will run fine. If it's not enough power then get an used Weiand 8007 intake and Edelbrock 1406. Also, get the Summit K6900 camshaft kit or a 360 2bbl camshaft if you so desire. Get a Cloyes double roller and convert to dual exhaust. Should make a great cruiser.

I'm not too worried about the power; the 318 gives me "passable" mileage for the time being. I was just more worried about random stuff breaking.

The paint appears dead (remember its always worse than the pictures) If they did not take car of the paint then assume the vinyl roof is in poor shape. Smell the trans fluid and see when and how it shifts. Perhaps $2k is where the price point should be. I personally like the 1972 Monaco that was posted here yesterday.

Okay, the owner pulled the CL ad for me, but he still has the car. This is what the engine bay looks like.
1104141100a.jpg1104141101.jpg

This is the aforementioned butt groove

1104141059b.jpg

And y'all were right, the vinyl top does look to be meh shape.

1104141101d.jpg

The dash looks to be in REALLY good shape, though, and the headliner is perfect.

1104141307.jpg

1104141059a.jpg

Overall this thing looks *amazing* for its age. The only thing was worrying me was the mechanical issues, but if y'all say that those aren't an issue (barring a physical inspection of the car), I'll probably get it.

1104141100a.jpg

1104141101.jpg

1104141059b.jpg

1104141101d.jpg

1104141059a.jpg

1104141307.jpg

For the money and the shape that it's in I do not think you can go wrong !!! :eek:ccasion14:

Grab it I say. 318/904 pretty much indestructible combination. Stay up on oil/fluid changes and you cant go wrong with it. Want more power down the road it is very easy to "wake up" the sleepy 318 with a few easy speed parts. So yea, go forth and grab it.....before some lurker/troll does...which has happened here before. Make sure you post pics after you get it, please!

All this needs cosmetically is to have the driver's side of the seat re-foamed and perhaps a new vinyl top. Why do we not see pictures of this in your driveway yet???

It's gone now hmmm...

Well he did post this

Okay, the owner pulled the CL ad for me, but he still has the car.
Overall this thing looks *amazing* for its age. The only thing was worrying me was the mechanical issues, but if y'all say that those aren't an issue (barring a physical inspection of the car), I'll probably get it.

Enough of us here have gone head to head in battle with these Formals that we can pull the would be owner through any mechanical issues.
Well, except for the ATC II which it doesn't have.

Posted via Topify on Android

Enough of us here have gone head to head in battle with these Formals that we can pull the would be owner through any mechanical issues.
Well, except for the ATC II which it doesn't have.

Posted via Topify on Android

Yeah, that's a bonus it doesn't have ATC II. I just looked at a cheap 87 Fifth Avenue for a family member and already hate ATC lol.

Back