This is why I work on my own car.

After you have been Screwed at a Shop or Stealership they F##k You again with the "Shop Fees" or "Shop Supplies" another way to Gouge the Customer ! I have fun asking what the supplies are !

Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's a sign of the times. Not recent times mind you but recent enough that Ican remember the "before" picture. I'll go out on a limb and say around the early 70s is when I think integrity started to become less important than money in most people's minds. This is just my opinion so don't bother flaming me if that's the response.
I'm all for making money and I LIKE to pay people THEIR RATE for a job well done. I don't like to be bullshitted, lied to, ripped off or taken for a turnip by someone that goes home and brags about the amount of illegitimate money they made that day. Yes money is important but NEVER more important than one's integrity and reputation. IMO one.
I'm a 68 model... so I suppose some of what you are saying just sounds like Andy Griffith's world. On the other hand, I experience some serious culture shock when I first came to Florida... any idiot with a lean-to and a toolbox thought he was a mechanic... hasn't really improved much, these days they just work out of storage units.
After you have been Screwed at a Shop or Stealership they F##k You again with the "Shop Fees" or "Shop Supplies" another way to Gouge the Customer ! I have fun asking what the supplies are !
In the last PGH shop I ran, I explained to my customer's that I would charge 1 can of brake clean or RTV or whatever to their repair bill to keep the owner from ever using that billing line. It left me $2-3 dollars every ticket to cover the misc stuff that gets consumed and every time the subject came up... I pointed out the surplus and asked if he really wanted to run off his (my) customer base. The thing about shop supplies that offends the crap out of me is when they charge both the fee and the supplies.

I had this guy on the phone for 10 minutes... I think he wasn't used to dealing with someone that knew anything about cars. To give him some credit, he didn't give up easily....
You're going to give the guy credit for trying to take advantage of you... :BangHead:

I can't imagine having a job where you have to lie to people all the time. I mean this type of crap happens all the time in so many different types of business.

Some people aren't bothered by lying all day long.

I always assumed this was wrapped up in the hourly shop rate, guess it shows how long its been since I have been to a mechanic (well over 10 years)

Alan

You're going to give the guy credit for trying to take advantage of you... :BangHead:

There's some value in a tenacious salesman. He was polite, tried to stay focused etc. Most likely he never turned a wrench in his life and probably made a lot of sales to the uninformed.

I don't blame him as much as I blame the dealership he worked for. He was given a laundry list of things by some mechanic and they were both told by their boss to sell "service".

Last time I took me car to a mechanic was about 3 years ago, had the Chevy in there for a brake fluid flush and hose change and a few other minor things that ended up totaling $500. This was a time crunch issue, was getting married and needed the car ready for the weeding.

Next day back at home, I looked in the master cylinder just to check it out and discovered a lot of crap in there - rust and goop. So I spent about 30 minutes carefully cleaning it out and washing the reservoir with a turkey baster until it was clean. I guess "fluid change" meant just that. Fug.

At my last oil change at the dealer (I take them for a ride on their $19.95 Oil Change Special (that they use as a Bait & Switch), stupid service writer told me I needed a new battery because mine was leaking...
Yes. She said leaking.

maxresdefault.jpg

At my last oil change at the dealer (I take them for a ride on their $19.95 Oil Change Special (that they use as a Bait & Switch), stupid service writer told me I needed a new battery because mine was leaking...
Yes. She said leaking.

View attachment 138258
For someone with OCD, I can't believe that is your vehicle
Facepalm.gif

Yes. She said leaking.

View attachment 138258
I put those little green and red felt washers under the battery posts to stop that. They actually work.

Yes. She said leaking.

View attachment 138258

My understanding is that the corrosion around the post actually IS from leaking acid from where the post(s) go through the plastic case. I'm not looking to start a war mind you but maybe she is right???
I just spent North of 300 class for new batteries in my diesel ram. The batts I replaced had this corrosion and I was looking for advice as to how to avoid this when purchasing new ones. It was a circle jerk of hoping I could find a great set of batteries for commoners wages. Not so much. I ended up getting batteries from Napa (made by deka) for a decent price but no miracles occured and I paid what I paid. Buying batteries sucks. Not a speck of pleasure in that outlay of coin. Same thing for tires imo.
I shouldn't complain, at least I wasn't spending money to get it ready so I could get married. If I was the truck would still have the same pair of almost dead, got some too corroded post batteries in it. :D

LoI'm trying t at politicians, on every level.
Perfect example! Poster children for the point I'm trying to make.
How can you tell they are lying?
Their lips are moving.
I really hate to insult the auto service people by pooling them with politicians so I may have to change my tone.
Nope, then I'dbe lying. :)

My understanding is that the corrosion around the post actually IS from leaking acid from where the post(s) go through the plastic case. I'm not looking to start a war mind you but maybe she is right???
A $150 battery or some baking soda in water? I chose the latter...

Sorry Stan, I saw that and just had to!

:rofl:

I always thought that it was from the hydrogen gas from the battery. Never heard of the leakage theory. It sounds plausible though.

I thought I'd google it and spotted that first thing... The web site that I got the pic from gives out a lot of reasons, most of which I don't buy into.

Back