This is why I work on my own car.

Of course I wouldn't have a pic. S. O. P. to Google a similar photo, eh? lol

Never heard of the leakage theory. It sounds plausible though.
No such thing as battery "leakage" especially when it comes to that green fuzz on the terminal.
Total BS. She saw an old man in a hat and partially deaf and thought "ka Ching".

Last edited:
I spotted the hold down right away and knew it wasn't your truck. LOL!!
You bah-stahd. You made me pop the hood...

IMG_20170815_192537.jpg

HA! Good banter coming on here.
I agree with a spritz with bicarb if the battery is still turning the starter IF that is ones want and need. I pretty much ignored the powdery posts on my Ram. Once in awhile these unkempt batteries would irritate me and I'd blast them and it would go away. Other times I'd shut the hood and ignore them. I found that my concern would go away when I shut the hood and ignored it AND when I cleaned them. Ignoring finally won out until I needed new batteries and then it really didn't matter.
My poor Ram. It's 13 years old and it's a dirty unit with AR-15 holes in the roof from a really embarrassing "thing" I did while sighting in at 200 yds. Several bullets right above the left A pillar, through the empty space, and exiting above AND through the windshield . Still this ranks nowhere near the top ten dumbest things I've done.

Boiling water washes away that white **** on batteries !

At my last oil change at the dealer (I take them for a ride on their $19.95 Oil Change Special (that they use as a Bait & Switch), stupid service writer told me I needed a new battery because mine was leaking...
Yes. She said leaking.

View attachment 138258
What... you didn't want to pay $69 for the wire brush and paint?:D

Management gets all her oil changes at the dealer... and the rule is to allow the free inspection, get a written estimate, and refuse all work until I see what they want to sell her. Wagner pads and rotors for $100ish vs $600ish...

Viv "How did you fix it so cheap?"

Me "I'm just that good"

What... you didn't want to pay $69 for the wire brush and paint?:D

Management gets all her oil changes at the dealer... and the rule is to allow the free inspection, get a written estimate, and refuse all work until I see what they want to sell her. Wagner pads and rotors for $100ish vs $600ish...

Viv "How did you fix it so cheap?"

Me "I'm just that good"
My ex wife was floored the first time she was quoted for a brake job for her Dodge Dynasty. She was used to what it cost for me to do the work.

That brake job turned into a huge fiasco when they broke three studs off each front hub. The same place had put new tires on a couple months earlier. They told her the car was safe to drive with only two lug nuts holding the wheel on. I ended up changing the hubs (had already changed them once before) and doing the brake job.

This is the kind of crap that drives me bonkers. Absolutely nutzo bonkers... OVER THE EDGE nutzo bonkers...
Yep... She asked me to talk to the guy at the shop (chain muffler shop)about it before she went any farther. He told me that it was perfectly safe.. I asked to talk to his manager and he said he was the manager and he had worked on the car. I asked why he didn't stop when he broke the second stud and that really annoyed him.

I came close to going over the counter at him..... I was pretty calm, but then he got pissed and he leaned over to try to get in my face. That didn't go well at all for him.

I ended up telling her that I would fix it... She was my ex, but my kids rode in the car and I wasn't having her driving it like that.

I would send my wife to the dealer but I'm sure they would eventually get finished and send her back home. So I really have no use for them :).
I think ONE lug nut on an exes car is plenty. Oh, I see now that the children may be transported. Nix that comment :).
A guy shears off a SINGLE lug nut and sends someone out in the vehicle? His luck must be WAY different than mine. He is more of a lug nut than what's holding (or isn't?) the wheels on. If he had any age on him he may have tried saying that he thought mopars had reverse threaded wheel studs. Maybe that would have at least provided a little respect or cred?
One has to wonder how many studs have been sheared off due to Chrysler's brilliant reverse thread wheel stud "idea".
I love my mopars but some ofthe sstuffxChrysler did back, "in the day" was borderline Bush league. Uh oh, what did I just do. :D

Yep... She asked me to talk to the guy at the shop (chain muffler shop)about it before she went any farther. He told me that it was perfectly safe.. I asked to talk to his manager and he said he was the manager and he had worked on the car. I asked why he didn't stop when he broke the second stud and that really annoyed him.

I came close to going over the counter at him..... I was pretty calm, but then he got pissed and he leaned over to try to get in my face. That didn't go well at all for him.

I ended up telling her that I would fix it... She was my ex, but my kids rode in the car and I wasn't having her driving it like that.
Working up north, I always considered it mandatory to have an impact capable of breaking the studs when too frozen to do anything else with them... but you had to talk to customer first when you saw they weren't coming free. Yes it sucked when you had to split hubs to replace them.
One has to wonder how many studs have been sheared off due to Chrysler's brilliant reverse thread wheel stud "idea".
I love my mopars but some ofthe sstuffxChrysler did back, "in the day" was borderline Bush league.
The idea behind the left hand threads was to reduce the likelihood of lugs loosening as you drove. Chrysler kept it longer than others but it was once very common in cars and is still used on big trucks.

This was also the subject of an Aaron Kaufman rant one of the last times I ever watched that POS show... Idiot stood in front of the white board and spouted off like he knew something when they ran across this on an old Ford... and I know they worked on a number of old cars that had this feature prior to the rant.

I vowed to never watch that show again after they killed a nice E body so they could use a late model driveline... Dynacorn was repoping long shells before that time.:wtf:

Thanks for the education. I was told that the left hand thread was something Chrysler came up with.
I had the rear wheels off my 300 yesterday and the left side still has the original left hand studs.. I haven't had the need or desire to remove the wheels until yesterday so I was ssurprised it retains the left hand studs. I changed the studs on the other mopars that I've owned but I may leave this one alone.
Interestingly it still has the original drums on the rear brakes complete with the inspection marks.
I agree with the Aaron Kaufman opinion and Richard rawlings is equally irritating IMO. Unfortunately I'm still watching new episodes due to car show deficient television.

My Mitsubishi Fuso box trucks have left-handed threads on the driver's side. So it still survives in this day and age. lol

Unfortunately I'm still watching new episodes due to car show deficient television.
That's what FCBO is for... stop polluting your brain with idiots wrenching on TV and start polluting it with more C bodies...:D

[QUOThat'spretty good. antflip, post: 500995, member: 4607"]That's what FCBO is for... stop polluting your brain with idiots wrenching on TV and start polluting it with more C bodies...:D[/QUOTE]
Ha! Thats pretty good.

Back