"This must have been on Monday morning built Dodge. No quality control."

oh well, just thought you all may find it of interest, only reason I posted it.
It does show that workmanship in the factories at the time was below par.
Quality control was indeed nonexistent. They just did not care.
The Big Three knew they could get away with it (and it would get worse in the '70s).

I always find amusing when people complain about bad workmanship on parts from China, when we know it was probably no better when those cars were built.

Last edited:
Well, turning a blind eye to quality control is certainly what turned into a loss of market share by the '80s when Japanese manufacturers started gaining a reputation for good quality and fuel economy and the general consensus was that the Big 3 were producing junk. My Dad, as a WW II combat veteran (Normandy, Purple Heart) never bought anything but American until the day he died in 2008. I remember in 1983 he bought a new Chevrolet Caprice Classic. It was beautiful, dark grey with a matching vinyl roof and a burgundy interior with burgundy pin stripes, and it was loaded. After signing the papers, before we pulled out of the lot, the directional signal stalk fell out of the steering column! They pulled it back in, the first night he drove it, the light switch fell apart (it had 20 miles on it. By the end of the first week the water pump stared to leak. Squeaks, rattles. After a little less than 3 years he traded it in for a new '86 Lincoln. He was beyond pissed and blamed GM for the everything wrong with the auto industry because they wielded so much power. He never purchased another GM product. When I bought my Corvette, he told me I was nuts.

Liberally applied seam sealer was common as was dropped small parts. A really bad Monday car would be missing spot welds and seam sealer or have panels welded "off", a goodie for the dealer.

Dave

Back in those days you did not want to be the one to stop the line.
I drove cars off the end of line with miss-matched interior trim, no windshield, clutch pedal laying on the floor etc. “Final repair can fix it!”

Well, turning a blind eye to quality control is certainly what turned into a loss of market share by the '80s when Japanese manufacturers started gaining a reputation for good quality and fuel economy and the general consensus was that the Big 3 were producing junk. My Dad, as a WW II combat veteran (Normandy, Purple Heart) never bought anything but American until the day he died in 2008. I remember in 1983 he bought a new Chevrolet Caprice Classic. It was beautiful, dark grey with a matching vinyl roof and a burgundy interior with burgundy pin stripes, and it was loaded. After signing the papers, before we pulled out of the lot, the directional signal stalk fell out of the steering column! They pulled it back in, the first night he drove it, the light switch fell apart (it had 20 miles on it. By the end of the first week the water pump stared to leak. Squeaks, rattles. After a little less than 3 years he traded it in for a new '86 Lincoln. He was beyond pissed and blamed GM for the everything wrong with the auto industry because they wielded so much power. He never purchased another GM product. When I bought my Corvette, he told me I was nuts.
I agree with your dad.
I don't think quality was the original reason people jumped to Asian cars. It was all about fuel mileage. Mid 70s through early eighties Asian cars were not good looking, and when the kids in my high school started getting their license the early eighties the 77 Corolla, Corona, 510, were the cars the parents handed down bought, new because of gas crisis. Those cars interiors were literally falling apart, every time you got in the thing a new crack, knob fell off, switches failing. Not exactly the quality everyone remembers with rose colored glasses. The drivelines were pretty bulletproof with 16 yo abuse but, their reliability did not really prove itself for another 5 years when they just kept running.

Liberally applied seam sealer was common as was dropped small parts. A really bad Monday car would be missing spot welds and seam sealer or have panels welded "off", a goodie for the dealer.

Dave
Don't forget the empty pint bottle in the door that rattles.

Dave
On my car,the right trunk/quarter panel extension only had a couple welds holding it to the trunk floor.The gap was over 1/4 inch (I could put the screwdriver through between the panels) and had tons of seam sealer in it.
This prompted me to remove the old seam sealer and reseal it,plus add a few tacks here and there,LOL!
BARGE ON A BUDGET 166.jpg

MUCH or what is pictures is from generally not-seen areas of the car. Every car's seam sealer might be a bit different as it was all manually applied, for example.

My neighbor got a new '68 Satellite for graduation. Beautiful car, B5 with white top and interior. 383 4bbl/TF. When he was showing it to me, he pulled up the trunk mat to reveal something interesting. "Vote for Little Vid" was fingered into a thicker than normal layer or seam sealer on the trunk floor. We laughed at that. Obviously for an upcoming plant election?

The paint daubs on the rear axle housing for are ID purposes "on the line". How they looked depended upon who applied them. Each plant and each shift in that particular plant could be different, but still done according to instructions. Same with any of the other "inspection mark daubs" on the car.

As I recall, most of the "build issues" which might be termed "poor quality control" were usually related to panel/trim mis-alignments and squeaks/rattles related to il-fastened retainers. Things which the customer could see as the car sat on the lot.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Great pictures, don't think I ever saw a 50+ car that the axle paint was still visible. Would like to see the rest of the car.

Back