Those heater box cable clips....

66furys

Reaction score
There was a thread on the subject, but no info on how to deal with these darlings. Some cable clips are held by a screw. Others, the problem at hand, just snap down. Does anyone know how to un fumble these things so they survive. It seems they fold over the lip of the plate, but not sure. Would love to know how to properly remove and snap back. thanks

There was a thread on the subject, but no info on how to deal with these darlings. Some cable clips are held by a screw. Others, the problem at hand, just snap down. Does anyone know how to un fumble these things so they survive. It seems they fold over the lip of the plate, but not sure. Would love to know how to properly remove and snap back. thanks
They are a PITA. Just have to squeeze it with a pair of pliers.

If you look, there's a screw hole in the clip and the part it clips to that often doesn't have a screw in it. I've put small sheet metal screws in them.

For now, my heater box is buried, and even hard to photo. thanks both. I am thinking that the lip of the clip is over the edge of the plate, and it would be pried back off the lip......but cant tell yet. I cant believe that when young I saw these by the dozens, and now cannot find parts or examples. Aaargh

I just pulled off my first clip that simply wraps over the opposite edge of the base flange, and it just pulls loose....I used pliers to just flip it over the edge and pops off....OK. So, also, to BigJohns point, I am thinking of drilling and using a screw to help hold down, as needed. Note, I intend to use a sheet metal screw with fine threads, self tapping, not the huge normal thread sheet metal screw. I have a couple in about No 6 very short for the task. But, not as bad as I envisioned before removing. Thanks

These are the two types of cable clips used on my car. The scott drake is from mustang, a bit different than that used on the heater control, but I think will work with some mod. The small ones are the spring steel type that just snap over the cable and are used at the heater box end. And, if anyone knows where to find some of these, I would like to have a couple spares.

heater clips.jpg

Just snapped the first clip back onto the new cable.....what a pain. Used narrow needle nose pliers but not easy. Since these are spring steel, not easy to open up the hole for a screw. So, I will use a simple paper clip or clamp to add some force to the clip end to keep him in place.....prob not necessary. These things are easy to just roll off with pliers, but not so easy to snap back into place. Oh well....so far so good.

I might be done with this note....and BigJohn is right about the screw. I did not think the holes were good, but they are. The hole in the bracket is about 0.117, and at first I was thinking No. 4 sheet metal or self threading. But, by looking at tap drill sizes, this is appropriate for No 6. So, my second clip would not stay down tight, and forced me to crawl under to work on it. Cannot see, but two hands allowed me to install a hex head screw, and voila, it worked. Thanks again John.

That clip looks very familiar to me. Had to replace a few on a 1968 Sport Fury. I think I got them through Dante's. They were the same as the clips for the B-body Air Grabber cables. Cheap to get and well worth not having to try to find originals. They even looked exactly like the ONE that was still in there

I just found some on ebay for an AMC....look like the same thing, but we will see. But, reason for my note is that I just replaced the vent doors with these clips. Would NOT press on with either std or needle nose pliers. So, finally the brain engaged and I used a simple awl with sharp point in the hole that engages with hole in the bracket....just roll the awl over and it snaps the clip in place.....finally.

Back