Thoughts on Automotive Styling, aka old cars are obsolete.

By "split bench", do you mean individual backrests, common cushion, with an arm rest? I've only driven very short bursts in a '70 Challenger I bought to flip, but I know how useless the early Mopar consoles are for "comfort". I always thought the e-body with an armrest would be much better.

If I came across one, I was planning to use the lack of a console to knock the price down to the standard $2500. Don't crush my dreams.

I always thought the E bodies had an awkward driving position. The big steering wheel is at an odd angle and the buckets sat a bit low. personally, I found the 340 Duster a much more comfortable muscle car to drive.

By "split bench", do you mean individual backrests, common cushion, with an arm rest? I've only driven very short bursts in a '70 Challenger I bought to flip, but I know how useless the early Mopar consoles are for "comfort". I always thought the e-body with an armrest would be much better.

If I came across one, I was planning to use the lack of a console to knock the price down to the standard $2500. Don't crush my dreams.

yes, exactly.
I have had E-bodys in the past with "real" buckets. I had more space as I do have the impression (I haven't measured it) as I could pull them more to the back as the bench. Mine is definetly in the end and I feel like a sausage in a can.
Maybe I just got more fat than I used to be 10 years ago :)

Carsten

I do know what's behind Toyota's styling decisions. They've become the modern day Buick, meaning that they are considered a brand that appeals more to senior citizens than to the desired market of people in their 30's and 40's. The ridiculous styling and annoying commercials that try to pass the Camry off as a performance sedan are an attempt to attract younger buyers. They tried the same thing years ago with the introduction of the Scion brand, which also failed. I saw plenty of seniors cruising around in new Scions because content-wise, they were a much better deal than the regular Toyota's.
The dealership I bought my Durango from also sells Toyota. Walking through their lot I find myself thinking, "Toyota offers nothing I'm interested in." Sure, their cars are reliable, but they are just functional with no appeal for me. Do they even make the Silica anymore? That was one Toyota that I liked - well, a couple of years at least.

Toyota celica got replaced by the scion tC then that got supercided by the scion frs toyota gt-86 subaru brz

You may want to look a bit closer.

Aston Martin DB7
View attachment 262639

Jaguar F-Type:
View attachment 262643

Ian Callum, the Chief Designer of the F-Type worked for Aston Martin prior to joining Jaguar where he was the Chief Designer of the DB7. The Aston and the Jag resemble each other more so that the Mustang. Wouldn't you say? Ford sold Jaguar to Tata Group in 2008, long before the current generation of the Mustang was developed so I doubt there was any cross pollinating.
Bond......James Bond...

20190225_160329.jpg

Sheesh Jay... gimme a break would ya Lol. it's still a '55 which was my point. The '55 Chubby wouldn't make a good pimple on the *** of any of those '55 or '56 Mopars!

Sorry. Have your break. :D

I agree with that the 55-56 Mopars are better than Chebbies of the same era.

Toyota made their big impact in the late ‘80s, early ‘90s. While criticism was being heaped on Detroit and gas prices continued to go up, Toyota came up with a reliable drivetrain and platform, and went after the American family sedan market. During those years their styling was geared to appeal to the broadest range of tastes, making the Camry BLAND. Everyone remembers those cars as being good, solid, dependable, and having high content. NOBODY ever remembers saying “man, that’s a really sharp looking Toyota you got there”. I remember reading in one of the car magazines that buying a Toyota was like buying a refrigerator or wash machine. Another article said they were cars for people who aren’t interested in cars. That was then. Now you can read comparison articles in the car mags and the nits and picks are details that only the guys writing the articles would bother with. So Toyota is just one of many now and their styling departments, which didn’t have to work very hard before, have to come up with something to distinguish their product from everyone else’s.

Toyota made their big impact in the late ‘80s, early ‘90s. While criticism was being heaped on Detroit and gas prices continued to go up, Toyota came up with a reliable drivetrain and platform, and went after the American family sedan market. During those years their styling was geared to appeal to the broadest range of tastes, making the Camry BLAND. Everyone remembers those cars as being good, solid, dependable, and having high content. NOBODY ever remembers saying “man, that’s a really sharp looking Toyota you got there”. I remember reading in one of the car magazines that buying a Toyota was like buying a refrigerator or wash machine. Another article said they were cars for people who aren’t interested in cars. That was then. Now you can read comparison articles in the car mags and the nits and picks are details that only the guys writing the articles would bother with. So Toyota is just one of many now and their styling departments, which didn’t have to work very hard before, have to come up with something to distinguish their product from everyone else’s.
My Daughter bought her first car in 2011. She was buying new so we looked at a lot of cars. My preference was Mopar so we went there last.

I will never forget what she said to the Toyota Dealer while she was driving a Camry. He asked her, "What do you think?" Her response was great!! "I think I'm not a grandmother and that's who this car is designed for." That's my girl!!!

She ended up buying a black on black Chrysler 200 S. The V6 in that car would break the tires loose at a stop! Been a good car. She wanted a sun roof but didn't like the 4 cylinder in the car that had one.

I'd take a Datsun 240z, 260, 280 till '76, then they became bloated pigs with back seats.
They are cheaper and more plentiful than the Toyota.

Last edited:
Back