Tilt Column question

Timsnewporttwin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a tilt column for a 65 Chrysler. I want ot service the tilt mechanism and do a thorough clean up before installing in my car. The tilt works but is stiff, clearly needs lubrication I can't get the metal cover off the top of column (where the lever and turnsignal arm goes through. Looks like its press on, anyone know a trick to remove this ? Thanks, Tim

The tool is much like a pully puller with the fingers going out and grabbing the inside of the lip at the top.

Alan

As noted above you have to use a special puller. There is actually a special Miller tool for pulling these covers but I have yet to ever see or find one or I would buy it instantly.

I managed to find one with four arms rather than usual three, but a three arm puller will work. You will also need to reverse the arms so that the hooks at the ends of the arms face outward rather than inward.

The cover that you need to pull is a very very tight fit and is made of very thin material, so if you don't go slowly you will bend the lip have the cover where the puller arm hooks are. The more arms the less strain on the lip of the cover.

I also sprayed penetrating oil down the inside of the cover, as far as I could reach with the nozzle, and allowed it time to try and seep in. Also, gentle application of heat with a hair dryer the outside of the cover as you're pulling up on it and some very gentle tapping with rubber mallet will help get it moving.

Go slowly and don't force it.

Last edited:
Thank you both for cluing me in....not sure how to proceed. Glad I snagged it though, I know it's kind of rare for a 65, a lucky junkyard find.
tim

Back