Tips for getting to speedometer cable in dash

Daniel Romero

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Any pointers on getting to my speedometer cable behind the dash to lubricate it? It started making noise now that Colorado winter is rolling in and I'm having a time trying to pull out the speedometer after taking the instrument cluster panels off the front. I'm hoping I don't have to pull the dashboard off.

It depends on the year I believe. Some have a steel spring clip others have plastic tang to squeeze.

1973 Plymouth Fury III without cruise control.
You will have to disconnect the cable from the trans first, then remove the lower dash cover and remove the lower duct for the A/C vent. Then you should be able to reach behind the speedo to remove the cable. the cable is held on by a white plastic tab on the end of the cable. THIS CLIP IS VERY FRAGILE. Depress the clip and pull the cable straight back off the speedo. Then you can move it out of the way, remove the cable from the housing and lube. Most people use a light grease, but you can use oil. reassemble in the reverse order.

You will have to disconnect the cable from the trans first, then remove the lower dash cover and remove the lower duct for the A/C vent. Then you should be able to reach behind the speedo to remove the cable. the cable is held on by a white plastic tab on the end of the cable. THIS CLIP IS VERY FRAGILE. Depress the clip and pull the cable straight back off the speedo. Then you can move it out of the way, remove the cable from the housing and lube. Most people use a light grease, but you can use oil. reassemble in the reverse order.

Thanks a million, man! I never thought to pull the heater duct. I'm all done! It's not making any noise although it was warm today so I'll keep listening for it. I really appreciate your advice.

Back