• Replace later

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Leave them on the car

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Drive like a bat outta Hell 'til they explode

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m dealing with the same situation regarding my RV. The tires are approaching 10 years old and have maybe 10000 miles on them. They look fantastic and are stored in a heated shop when not being driven.

I’m in the midst of a 5000+ mile trip and they will be over 10 years old later this month.
They are all Michelin steer tires and I will likely replace them, unless someone can give me good reason to sneak out another season or two.
My fear of a tread separation is what’s leaning me to replace them.
If your tires have been inflated and indoors all the time, I might jus do the front tires, install the next youngest on the rear. Is it a dual rear wheel?

I'm another one that would say to run them longer.

One of my sets of tires is well over 10 years old, they are always inside the garage unless driving or washing the car.
I inspected them within the last several weeks and they have ZERO signs of cracks.
As for rotting from the inside out? Same oxygen in the air on the outside as inside. Hard to imagine a tire that's rotted inside but pristine outside?

Would I drive 80mph on them? Not for more than a short burst. But that's due to the rest of the car as much as it is the tires.

Meanwhile, the tires on one of the DDs are starting to develop the tiniest of cracks, and are 4 years old at most. :BangHead:

I'm another one that would say to run them longer.

One of my sets of tires is well over 10 years old, they are always inside the garage unless driving or washing the car.
I inspected them within the last several weeks and they have ZERO signs of cracks.
As for rotting from the inside out? Same oxygen in the air on the outside as inside. Hard to imagine a tire that's rotted inside but pristine outside?

Would I drive 80mph on them? Not for more than a short burst. But that's due to the rest of the car as much as it is the tires.

Meanwhile, the tires on one of the DDs are starting to develop the tiniest of cracks, and are 4 years old at most. :BangHead:
I too feel bothered to replace tires, just on the fact of their age. However, I am not going to do that with the RV. The consequences of a tread separation on that would be disastrous, causing a lot of damage.
I’m not sure I would follow the 10 year rule/guidelines on a car that I don’t drive on long distances, especially if it’s garaged.

Yeah, I was responding on the car tires, although that probably wasn't clear.
I would agree on replacing them on the RV, for exactly the reasons you said.

One of minenthe tires are over 15 years old.
I go over them on a regular basis . And zero signs of breakdown . Cracks or splits. ..nothing

I'll drive them . 90% is in town rarely exceeds 50-55 mph

Would I take them long trip or extended hiway??? No.

Back