Tire fitment 285/70-15 on 15x8

OldD77

Reaction score
Hi!
Im looking for tires for my 72 Newport, and like that oldschool sidewall look. So I found 285/70s, and some 15x8 Steelies (backspace 4,5“ I think). Does anyone run this size on a fuselage? Do you guys think this could fit with some minor trimming on the inner wheel wells?
Thank you already :)
Aron

I ran 275-60R15 on 1970 Fury rears, 235-70R15 on the fronts. 275 hit occasionally on turns until I replaced leaf springs and corrected the ride height.

285-70-15(almost 31" diameter) is a huge tire for a car and more made for a truck. If it did clear underneath somehow you'd kill your low end torque due to overall gear ratio change

The inner wheel wells are probably large enough for those huge tires. The problem I foresee is getting the huge tire, and slightly larger wheel into place, with the amount of quarter panel overhang on a '72 Chrysler.

The '70 Fury has less restrictive quarter panels.

The inner wheel wells are probably large enough for those huge tires. The problem I foresee is getting the huge tire, and slightly larger wheel into place, with the amount of quarter panel overhang on a '72 Chrysler.

hahaha and getting out of your own way when you hit the gas!

I agree, but will add:

I ran 275-60R15 on 1970 Fury as rear tires. The only way to install them was to have jackstands under the rear subframe and have the axle hanging at lowest stationary travel.

275-60R15 is 28" tire height, while 285-70R15 is 30.7". 285-70R15 is a huge increase in tire size from a tire that barely fit a 1970 Fury.

@OldD77 will be better off leaving the 285-70R15 with the vendor regardless of putting it on 70 Fury or 72 Chrysler. 15x8 rims will probably work

late to the party. an observation. a 285/70 -15 will probably "fit" a Fusie. Will it "work"? Dunno. That's getting into a truck size as somebody already pointed out. No doubt it will fit the rim and probably be ok. On the car? Again, I recommend some caution.

This chart may help An example of a planning tool .. there are lots out there.

I just used the tallest OEM tire a C ever got (about 235/75-15) I think vs. a 285/70-15. we have a couple threads that may help if you wanna look at other options before you get committed to a path.

Exactly What Wheels & Tires Fit C Bodies?

I would be a little concerned in front vs. rear on a fusie. The height will probably be fine but the width is 20% greater. Handling and interference issues could be an issue front or back. Some of it may be be inherent in the tire size vs. its construction (wide wall flex, road manners, etc.). And the speedo will be off a bit.

Good luck!

source: Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes | Tacoma World

1665835152439.png

I searched some pictures of the tires on cars, and I don’t really think they are meant for trucks only. It’s very oldschool, and probably won’t handle well, but I like that massive sidewall look… out front I would put 235/70 and that mama a height difference of 2”. My daily driver has even more difference in wheel height front to back, very oldschool rake, and it drives fine. By far no corner hero, but it’s good enough for daily use.

If 285/70 won’t work I probably will be using 255/70, but that’s only the last option. Over here in Germany we have to decide on one tire size FOREVER and it can hardly be changed after first inspection after import. So if I don’t use what I really like, It will always bother me :/

That much sidewall means it will fit the 8" rim, the bigger the sidewall the more you can get by with having wrong rims.
31" tire would be a challenge to install as others have said. It would be a very wallowy tire in any curves.

I searched some pictures of the tires on cars, and I don’t really think they are meant for trucks only. It’s very oldschool, and probably won’t handle well, but I like that massive sidewall look… out front I would put 235/70 and that mama a height difference of 2”. My daily driver has even more difference in wheel height front to back, very oldschool rake, and it drives fine. By far no corner hero, but it’s good enough for daily use.

If 285/70 won’t work I probably will be using 255/70, but that’s only the last option. Over here in Germany we have to decide on one tire size FOREVER and it can hardly be changed after first inspection after import. So if I don’t use what I really like, It will always bother me :/
Thank you bureaucrats

Hi!
Im looking for tires for my 72 Newport, and like that oldschool sidewall look. So I found 285/70s, and some 15x8 Steelies (backspace 4,5“ I think). Does anyone run this size on a fuselage? Do you guys think this could fit with some minor trimming on the inner wheel wells?
Thank you already :)
Aron
i have them on the back of my new yorker but they r raised white letter

Back