Took a cool pic?

Some cotton ball looking clouds headed my way. The clouds seemed as if they were falling right out of the sky and this pic doesn't do it justice. Coolest weather phenomenon I've personally witnessed.View attachment 57607

these MAY be a kind of "mammatus" cloud. severe weather was usually coming very soon whenever i saw this kinda cloud roll in.

Something cool..right in my own backyard. BTW no trees were harmed in making this post :icon_cool:

Been passing this tree for 10 years. It's on a rather nondescript intersection in an ordinary part of town.

So, I finally stopped last week to take this pics..then looked on-line ..and behold this tree even has its own Facebook page.

Anyway, like the world's biggest ball of twine and other obsure record-holders, here's the world's biggest Bebb Oak. But unlike man-made attractions, this living thing may be older than America itself. How cool is that.

Last photo..I hung my keys and my watch on the trunk--about 8 inches apart -- for some scale. This tree's trunk has to be about 7 feet in diameter, and if I did my farmer's math right, that's about 22 ft in circumference.

On my bucket list -- the giant Sequoias out in California. When I take my Scenicruiser "Tour of America" I am finally going there.

Anybody been to the Seqouia National Park and got pics of the redwoods?

Bebb Oak 1.jpgBebb Oak 2.jpgBebb Oak 5.jpgBebb Oak 8.jpg

Bebb Oak 1.jpg

Bebb Oak 2.jpg

Bebb Oak 5.jpg

Bebb Oak 8.jpg

On my bucket list -- the giant Sequoias out in California. When I take my Scenicruiser "Tour of America" I am finally going there. Anybody been to the Seqouia National Park and got pics of the redwoods?

Not positive if this was the Sequoia National Park or not, but definitely in CA.

I have inserted a crew cab dually for scale

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Something cool..right in my own backyard. BTW no trees were harmed in making this post :icon_cool:

Been passing this tree for 10 years. It's on a rather nondescript intersection in an ordinary part of town.

So, I finally stopped last week to take this pics..then looked on-line ..and behold this tree even has its own Facebook page.

Anyway, like the world's biggest ball of twine and other obsure record-holders, here's the world's biggest Bebb Oak. But unlike man-made attractions, this living thing may be older than America itself. How cool is that.

Last photo..I hung my keys and my watch on the trunk--about 8 inches apart -- for some scale. This tree's trunk has to be about 7 feet in diameter, and if I did my farmer's math right, that's about 22 ft in circumference.
I pass this one twice daily depending on my route between home and shop and also used to rent the house almost directly accross the street from it with some friends in my younger days.

i tried to buy the property on the SE corner 3-4 years ago..but I digress.:grin:

so as you know matt, you can't miss the thing at all driving through that intersection. and that big fifty foot branch to the west that almost touches the ground.

but i finally read the sign next to it, when i was a passenger in a car a couple years ago to figure out what its significance was. been thinking about checking it out ever since.

anyway i noticed a couple things.

first. it really looks OLD. deep furrows in the bark ("wrinkles"), limbs kinda knarled/bumpy ,etc. . ancient looking -- if that makes any sense?

second, the city/someone is keeping it up. no dead branches, no evidence of disease, its been pruned, etc.. and being right next to the road, no evidence it ever was hit be a vehicle (no wounds in the bark).

cool old tree.

January 2014, Hwy 402 between Sarnia and London Ontario Canada, heading east. Temperature minus 16 degrees Fahrenheit.

A "vertical' rainbow.

I was bad..shouldnt have been driving and taking pictures..but I never saw such a thing in my whole life. Low sun angle, ice crystals low to ground, little wind...and viola.

Apparently the vertical rainbows are relatively rare but I didnt know of such a thing even existed...and I'm pretty old and read a lot. :icon_smile:

View attachment 44792

It's called a sundog. See em often on the prairies on very cold clear days.

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg
Hidden Lake (Glacier National Park 2010) Montana

This is what you'll see if you hike up the path from the parking lot of Logan Pass visitor's center, on the Highway to the Sun.

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

My wife took that pic with a CANON EOS 400D. Stormy weather on the beach(not the ideal vacation weather...)
Our 2 galgos (Spanish greyhounds) are rescue dogs, the one in front is 12 years old, the one in the back is 10 years old, they still love to run, just for fun.

Back