Took a cool pic?

"Mighty Mac" boss. :) Lost a girlfriend over this thing .. she was afraid to ride across it (seriously had a panic attack .. i wasnt sensitive enough it seems).

Mackinac Bridge, pronounced "mak-in-naw" for the nonlocals, connecting the Upper and Lower Peninsula's of Michigan. An engineering marvel. just turned 61 years old this year.

(45 minutes)

(about 2 minutes)

00-1-2-2-2.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg
'

photo source: Mackinac Bridge at 59 years old: 15 facts about the Michigan marvel

It can get a little breezy going across there with a tall and broad vehicle.

Honestly it is unnerving in the winds ... makes one think Tacoma Narrows late 1930's?

Ive crossed Mighty Mac a dozen times maybe in 30 years, never in a high profile vehicle, but only once when a high wind warning was issued like 30 minutes after we crossed.

She was a heavin' and swayin' man. Guess who was screamin' like a teenage girl at a Taylor Swift concert then??

Like the Hist. Channel vid in Post #721 said, its built to move side-to-side up to 35 ft, up-and-down up to 10 feet, and the towers can tilt IN-ward toward each other up to 15 ft.

My daughter the rocket scientist ran me through the math (Structural analysis - Wikipedia).. i only understood 1/3 of it but I am thankful for really smart engineers/builders who get 110% of it. :)

...Ive crossed Mighty Mac a dozen times maybe in 30 years, never in a high profile vehicle, but only once when a high wind warning was issued like 30 minutes after we crossed.

I've been across about the same, truck, van, truck towing a 30' trailer, motorhome with trailer, and motorhome flat towing. Last time I crossed I found out that a motorhome flat towing a pickup costs more than if they are driven across individually. Once it's attached to the tow vehicle they just count the total number of axles, all the same as a commercial vehicle.

20181104_104340.jpg

Spotted this Praying Mantis egg casing while i was working on my license plate light and frame

I can even remember the Mac under construction. Got some pics somewhere of waiting for the ferry as the bridge was under construction. Many memories of fishing trips in the U.P.

Took these pics While heading down to pick up a set of road wheels w/ center caps and trim rings. First tunnel is in Bluefield W.VA. the second pic is the Big Walker Mountain. Last pic is at sunrise at Fort Chiswell VA.

20190116_061757.jpg

20190116_061808.jpg

20190116_070019_013.jpg

Last edited:
Back