Torque converter question

awillard95

Reaction score
I am swapping a 440 into a 65 SF that was originally 383. Planing on using factory cable transmission. Does anyone have a link or part number to a converter that will fit the 65 727. Thank you.

I am swapping a 440 into a 65 SF that was originally 383. Planing on using factory cable transmission. Does anyone have a link or part number to a converter that will fit the 65 727. Thank you.
i know you need a 19 spline used till 1966. why can't you use your 383 converter same as a 440

Perhaps I'm late to this, but for future readers:
Depending on the year of 440, it is not assured to have the bosses at the front corner of the block for the unique 1965 motor mount bracket.
Most 383s and 400s seem to have them; early 440s do NOT, but later ones do (I have a 74 block with the bosses).

IF the 440 to be used is externally-balanced (which is more likely to have the bosses) , then the torque converter needs balancing, and that doesn't exist with the 66-older 19-spline converter - unless you get it custom-made.
A suitable workaround is to get a special-balanced flexplate and re-use the original 1965 converter. I have a B&M one that put an externally-balanced 400 with a 65 727, but I don't know if that suits a 440 also. Or you could cut the weights from a 440 converter and weld them to the 65 converter, or to the flexplate, in the appropriate locations.

To shed some light on torque converter selection. 440 engine made after 1973 that have the nodular cast iron crankshaft are externally balanced what is common with the 440 and the 74 and up applications is there are counterweights on the torque converter too late in your identification. If you look at the vibration dampener you will also see identification markings also confirming that it is an externally balanced engine. If you know that you have the much more desired steel crankshaft 440 then all you have to do is both up the appropriate flex plate and you should be good to go. There is a stamp on the right side of the engine block just above the oil pan on the right side that will help you and identifying which engine you have. If you do have balance weights on your torque converter you can simply grind them off and will make it eligible be used behind a a pre 74 engine.

To further complicate things over what I said in post 3:
Truck/motorhome 440 had steel cranks until '74, possibly later.
1970-71 E86/U-code 440s had steel cranks, but were externally-balanced, and this balance is different than with cast cranks.

So if this is a throw-together engine, make sure what you have!

Thanks for the reply’s. The motor is a 75 external engine I was able to take the converter from the rv and cut the weights off and weld them on the 65 converter I had.

Back