torqueflite 727 problems

Swe Joel

Reaction score
Hello, im looking for some help finding whats wrong with my 727 torqueflite transmission. Whenever its cold it takes about 10 seconds for it too go into gear, in all directions. And when it goes in to 3rd it slips for 5-10 seconds. It has behaved like that since i got the car 8 months ago. Now when i got it out of my garage after the winter and filled trans oil and took it out for a test drive it has lost 3rd gear completely. I have fiddled with linkages and kickdown with no success. Anyone out there who might have an idea whats wrong with it?

Sorry for bad english.

Not necessarily.
the older 727's need to be put into neutral before attempting to move at all.
The pump doesn't engage in park which results in the exact symptoms you are describing here.
This is especially true if the car has been sitting for even a few days..
Put the car into neutral for about 30 seconds so the torque converter fills up and bleeds any air out of it.then it should go into gear right away.

Ok, i will try that. But what about my lost 3rd gear? Any ideas?

I had mine do the same thing when I first got my Polara. I thought it needed a rebuild too but thanks to a few Mopar friends they set me straight and mine has been fine ever since.

Not necessarily.
the older 727's need to be put into neutral before attempting to move at all.
The pump doesn't engage in park which results in the exact symptoms you are describing here.
This is especially true if the car has been sitting for even a few days..
Put the car into neutral for about 30 seconds so the torque converter fills up and bleeds any air out of it.then it should go into gear right away.
Cool. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Ok, i will try that. But what about my lost 3rd gear? Any ideas?

Make sure when you check your fluid levels that the car fully warmed up & is in neutral not park..

It could be a matter of not enough fluid...
in park the fluid level will be off the charts if it is properly filled.

If you top up to the fluid levels with it in park, it will be about 3 to 4 litres short

Last edited:
BTW, I had all this happen right after I did a fluid change...

Topped up while in park then had no 3rd gear... or much of a reverse 1st or 2nd gear :)

If you drive it every day then you will likely not experience this drain down of the torque converter and not realise there is an issue.
Actually it's not an issue. it's a typical Mopar characteristic of the 727's of this era.

Ok, i checked the fluid level in both park and neutral, i was worried it was too much when i checked it in park. Then im pretty sure im driving around with too little oil in it :p

it will slip if its not up to temp yet either.

727 xmission is the 3rd strongest thing on the planet.

try not to die -

- saylor

Ok, i checked the fluid level in both park and neutral, i was worried it was too much when i checked it in park. Then im pretty sure im driving around with too little oil in it :p
Check only in neutral as was said. Get it just to the "add" mark when cold and then check it again when it's hot and top off if needed.

It could simply need a fluid and filter change. At the same time adjust the bands, or take it to a transmission shop and they will do so as they perform the FL change.

As others have said, the slow reaction when cold at first start is common. Mine does it too. I start it and put it in neutral while I fasten my seat belts. By that time the transmission is ready to go. If I simply start it and put it in reverse, I will back out of my garage a lot slower than I want to.

One last comment here while we wait for an update.
Make sure the throttle is off the fast (cold) idle cam before dropping it into gear!

If you do the things mentioned above and still have no 3rd gear it's time for a rebuild. The 5-10 sec before going into gear may be because O-rings are drying out and not sealing

Back