Torsion Bar direction

D Cluley

Reaction score
I know the bars are different left & right, but does it matter which end is front or rear? 1965 Chrysler if it matters.

G'Day,
The Way I Figure it if you Put it in back to Front it's going to be Twisting the Opposite Direction to what it should be.
You haven't seen a Mopar with a Broken Torsion Bar? They Look Like a Ruptured Duck LOL
The Broken Side Hit's the Deck!
Regards Tony.M

Might be some informaiton in the FSM. Allegedly, if they are tensioned the wrong way, they will break over time.

What I remember is they're stamped L & R on one end only with the letter at the anchor end in the frame. I think, better check the FSM.

Front to back doesn’t matter. Try simulating it with a piece of celery or something flexible, the twist goes the same direction.

left and right matters.

O.K. Fellas You've got me Scratching my Head.
The Way I Figure It, A Torsion Bar is Twisting to the Left on the Drivers Side Thereby Forcing the Lower Control Arm Down.
If you Reverse It, It Will Then be Forcing the L/C/A Upwards?
Am I Having a Mental Block ?
Regards, Tony.M

Well that's clear as mud. :)

I will make an effort to put the bar back the way it came out, but not lose too much sleep worrying about it.

Try this visual, get two paper towels write an L on one and a R on the other now straight out in front of yourself twist one towel in one direction till it gets stiff and straight twist the other in the opposite direction till it is straight and stiff now either way you flip those paper towels they're still twisting the same direction. all that matters is left and right.

Boy oh Boy!
I'm really having Trouble with This.
If the Bar is Twisting Clockwise & Then you Spin it 180 Degrees Horizontally It will be Twisting Anti-Clockwise.
Which means That instead of Pushing the L/C/A in a Downwards Direction it Will be Pushing the L/C/A in an Upwards Direction.
Please Double Check for the Simple Reason if You Hit a Pot Hole at Speed & the Bar Breaks the Vehicle will be Extremely Hard to Control.
Regards Tony.M

Boy oh Boy!
I'm really having Trouble with This.
If the Bar is Twisting Clockwise & Then you Spin it 180 Degrees Horizontally It will be Twisting Anti-Clockwise.
Which means That instead of Pushing the L/C/A in a Downwards Direction it Will be Pushing the L/C/A in an Upwards Direction.
Please Double Check for the Simple Reason if You Hit a Pot Hole at Speed & the Bar Breaks the Vehicle will be Extremely Hard to Control.
Regards Tony.M
Let me try and clear it up.

Instead of thinking about a bar that's rotating you need to think about it as a bar that's twisting. That's what it really is; a torsion spring. In that case one end of the bar is stationary while the other end of the bar rotates. For instance, the driver side torsion bar, the end at the transmission cross member is stationary and the lca end rotates clockwise (viewing from the front of the engine). Let's say it rotates 10 degrees with respect to the other end. So the transmission end is at 0 degrees (neutral position) and the lca end is at 10 degrees.

If you then look at the bar from the transmission point of view, i.e. rotating it 180 degrees, the lca end is at -10 degrees while the trans end is still at 0 degrees. However, you can define 0 degrees anywhere you'd like so if we call -10 the neutral position, the transmission end will now be at +10 degrees clockwise from that position.

The point to remember is that both ends of the bar rotate with respect to one another and that will be the same regardless of what end points towards the front. In other words, swapping the bar 180 degrees doesnt matter.

O.K.
Just Ignore me If I'm Being Too Painful.
But to Put it as Simply as I Can.
Picture a Wall Clock Reading 3 o'clock, Turn it to face the Wall and If you could read it from this side it would read 9 o'clock.
What I am saying is that a Torsion Bar has a Built in Bias in ONE direction. (It's Job is to Act as a Spring & Resist the Upward Motion of the Suspension)
If You Mount it the Wrong Way You Will be Working Against That Bias.
Without wanting to Offend Anyone in this Discussion Surely there is an Experienced Mechanic / Suspension Fella who can Advise Us!
Regards Tony.M

If you have a coil spring that most every car has, it doesn't car if it is right side up or upside down the spring works exactly the same.

Just picture a coil spring being coiled in the reverse direction (think left hand threads), it works the same, doesn't care which way it is installed. (These are assuming a design that is symmetrical)

Now a torsion bar is just an uncoiled coil spring. The coil isn't what gives the spring its spring it is the metal in the way it is made.

Torsion bars are manufactured differently for one side of the car vs the other because the loading on the bar rotates the bar differently.

But as for one side of the car the bar doesn't know the difference in which way it is installed, and neither does the car.

Alan

O.K.
So What I am Failing to Understand is Why there is a Right & Left If Reversing on the One Side Makes No Difference.
Anyway I won't Bother you Fellas Anymore Until I have done Some Serious Research. LOL
I Will Add One Comment that I Found on Line & This is For the Fella that Asked the Original Question.

"Re-fitting a torsion bar is the reverse of the removal method, but the following points should be noted. A new torsion bar can be fitted to either side of the car, but a used one can be fitted back only on the same side of the car. This is because used torsion bars always have a slight "set", which causes them to remain slightly twisted in one direction. Any corrosion or scoring in the bar affects its reliability, and it should not be re-used."

Even That Info is Making Me Scratch My head. Why are they Marked Left & Right if it Doesn't Matter?

Anyway the "Slight Set" is Why I believe You Can't Reverse the Bar.

Regards Tony.M

Somewhere in the metallurgy and manufacturing there is a difference, maybe along the lines of a pre-twist.

Alan

Back