TORSION BAR PLUG?

HOT FURY

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just finishing up rebuilding the front suspension and steering linkage but when I looked in the service manual for some of the torque specs I found a picture listing a torsion bar plug that goes between the torsion bar and lock ring in the rear mount. I didn't take one out when I pulled the torsion bars and cant seem to find anything else really about this mysterious part. Clearly it did not have an issue without them but would like everyone els's take on it. I could always take some measurements and machine some type of plug to fill the small gap but dont know if its necessary. Ideas?

Some of the C-Body torsion setups had a rubber plug at the back. These were to keep debris and road splash out of the hex socket. They were deleted in the mid sixties and disappeared from the FSM in the late sixties service manuals. You can safely leave them out if your car did not have them. We usually discarded them at the Chrysler dealership as not needed, as far as I know the factory did not supply replacements for service procedures.

Dave

There is a hex shaped plastic (nylon?) piece that is maybe 1/8 inch thick over the end of the torsion bar. It almost looks like it could be cut out of a plastic coffee can lid. The ones I have seen were originally white or off-white. I will try to find one to get a picture of it. Honestly, I don't think you would miss it if it wasn't there.

Good Morning
Just removed both bars on the 'Barge'. Yes, both bars had the 'plugs' that Badvert 65 described. Not really a plug more like a cover.
Now, if anyone knows about the T-Bar isolators that are apparently are un-obtanium I would be interested.....
Omni

thx for all the input, figured it was some engineers "good" idea that was pretty much a pointless part

Pics as requested: Cross Member/Isolators/Rear Torsion Bar Mount/ Ballon Seals for T Bars/'Keystone' clamps for seals/Plug (cover).
(1965 Newport)
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG

Back