Towing

Shelbyz08

Reaction score
With a correct rated hitch set up and trailer brakes, what's the most you guys would pull with a 440 c body, have a dumb idea in mind but think my campers going to be to much for my new Yorker

Frame hitch with equalizer bars but no trailer brakes. My 68 318 convertible hauled the trailer just fine. Later I did the same thing with my 70 440 convertible and it pulled it a whole bunch better. Electric trailer brakes would have been a good idea. LOL

68 Fury 708.jpg

My camper is pushing it lol. It's 27 feet and max at 7000k but it would look awesome with a c body pulling it. And who ever had this car before added leafs and air shocks in the back. It had trailer brakes and a hitch.

I pulled it once with this 84 I restored but it didn't like it, but the tires I had weren't good for it

IMAG1175.jpg

I had that on that truck and rear bags, it didn't sag at all but the cheap taller tires I think where the problem , it was sketchy. No matter what in the future I want to get a camper to pull behind this thing.

That's about what my trailer weights empty..... That's sad. Thanks for that info I have been trying to find something like that to see what the recommend weight is

I used C Bodies to haul around my race car back in the 70's. 3100 lb car with 1400 lb trailer, so 4500 lbs. I always used an equalizer hitch and was fussy about tongue weight, so I had good results.

I think 7000 lbs is too much for the car. The equalizer hitch anchors to the frame, which is basically sheet metal that's slightly thicker than the body. Then you need to think of the condition of the car. Spot welds don't get better with age and even a little bit of unseen rust inside the rear frame rails has the potential of ruining your day.

Frame hitch with equalizer bars but no trailer brakes. My 68 318 convertible hauled the trailer just fine. Later I did the same thing with my 70 440 convertible and it pulled it a whole bunch better. Electric trailer brakes would have been a good idea. LOL

View attachment 339138
Agree with the electric brakes even on that size trailer.
In my garage called “When they were new” you’ll see our trailer pulled by various mopars over a ten year span. It looks about the same size. No idea what the thing weighed but it sure picked up a lot of souvenirs over the trip too. Dad had a frame hitch installed every year on a different car with equalizer bars and trailer brakes.
He never ordered the trailer tow package. Engineers at work told him just order a big block, auto trans, ac and upsize the tires. The ac gave him the larger rad and alternator. Cars ran through the rockies and across the desert beautifully.

I'd be surprised if that trailer weighed 7000 lbs. Back in the 80's my parents towed a 28' Jayco all over the USA with a 74 Imperial. Trailer brakes are mandatory. Equilizer hitch and even a sway control also. Stay away from trailer tires. That's what you see all over the hwy. Radial truck tires is what I use. I traveled 5000 miles in two months towing my 68 Concord behind my 05 1500 Ram this summer. And I have a history towing with vintage Mopars.

jazebelle with pop up 2.jpg
DSC02966.JPG

Last edited:
No matter what you tow, being fussy about tongue weight is critical!
And don’t back your car onto your trailer. I had to make like Ken Miles a few years back avoiding crap all over US-10. Guy was towing a pick up backed onto a trailer. So much weight was biased to the rear the tongue lifted the *** end of the tow pick up. And the fun began!

Here's what can happen when you do it wrong. This car was towing a 4-5K pound Airstream in the rain and rear-ended a dump truck.

IMG_4002.JPG

Jeff

With a correct rated hitch set up and trailer brakes, what's the most you guys would pull with a 440 c body, have a dumb idea in mind but think my campers going to be to much for my new Yorker

If you don't have the towing package, you're putting the tranny, motor, and cooling system at risk of a shorter life, and maybe get a custom grill like above in the process! Good Luck

1969_Model_Lineup_Accessory_Groups_1.jpg

If you don't have the towing package, you're putting the tranny, motor, and cooling system at risk of a shorter life, and maybe get a custom grill like above in the process! Good Luck

View attachment 339344
According to @rapidtrans, his dad (who worked for Chrysler) was told otherwise.
He never ordered the trailer tow package. Engineers at work told him just order a big block, auto trans, ac and upsize the tires. The ac gave him the larger rad and alternator. Cars ran through the rockies and across the desert beautifully.

Being that Thia car has AC and someone all ready beefed up the rear spring set . The only thing I don't think mine has that a towing package would is the HD flasher

Dad’s concern was he’s not driving a nice car that rides like a truck the other 50 weeks of the year.
What were talking about is a car that might tow the family trailer on a two week vacation each year.

Back