Toys of past and present

When my dad died, my mother took over his nearly new Dynasty. A couple of years old, a few thousand miles.
When my mother died, I took over the Dynasty, now about 5-6 years old and 10,000 miles to try out as a DD b&f to work.
I hated every second of it. 10 days later the transmission blew to smithereens. My sister was pissed at me because she was handling the estate. I told her it was ma's revenge.

Are you surprised the tranny gernaded?

Every transmission shop in the country will tell you about those trannys.
I wasn't shocked.

Never had a problem with the A604. The big problem is that most tranny shops in the day (Chrysler dealerships too) put Dextron fluid in them when a service was done and that was the cause of the failure. Use the right fluid and you'd get 300 000 miles out of it. Just a matter of know how...like most things.

I'm just saying the cause for a great share of the failures of those trannies. It would be ignorant of me to comment on your experience since I know nothing of it. Any technology has good and bad examples...which is why there are dirrerent brand loyalties, often based on different experiences.

I think maybe you should give your Mother credit for your bad mojo, as I have known many people that had '89-'93 Chrysler front wheel drive vehicles with nothing but good to say about them, and several that I knew personally had very high miles with only normal maintenance.

A friend of mine drove his Caravan to a Spring Fling in California, and bought a '69 Charger and a 16' car trailer and pulled it home over 1800 miles. He was very impressed how well it pulled through the mountains.

I am friends with guys that own 3 different shops here in town, and the first 8-10 years of overdrive transmissions in any of the big 3 in the full-size pickups were troublesome, and the early 700R4s were a disaster.

Last edited:
the green `68 Charger was my first car, my dad helped me buy it in about `85 and i had it for a solid 17 years. the maroon `02 3/4 ton is my current truck and it replaced the white `97 half ton that I sold with 236K trouble free miles on it, I do miss that truck but it began to require too much maintanence and I got tired of looking at the rust. The `68 Coronet is a real R/T 4 spd car that is all #s matching and is one of my keepers. the `68 RR is the car that got me back in the Mopar hobby and should be ready for paint at some point soon.

scan0001_1.jpg

IMG_7464_20.jpg

IMG_1825_2.jpg

IMG_6979_1.jpg

IMG_7082_2.JPG

the green `68 Charger was my first car, my dad helped me buy it in about `85 and i had it for a solid 17 years. the maroon `02 3/4 ton is my current truck and it replaced the white `97 half ton that I sold with 236K trouble free miles on it, I do miss that truck but it began to require too much maintanence and I got tired of looking at the rust. The `68 Coronet is a real R/T 4 spd car that is all #s matching and is one of my keepers. the `68 RR is the car that got me back in the Mopar hobby and should be ready for paint at some point soon.

I rode in Matt's maroon truck and seen the rest of the fleet. Very nice! :icon_king:

Now I understand, that's why you want to catch up now. :)

Back