trailer hitch

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I was amazed when the hitch I made for Jazebelle, (69 300 vert), last year, to pull the pop up, bolted directly up to the Admiral, (69 Fury Suburban wagon).
I think it even fits the Admiral better....... :yaayy:

hitch 1 (Large).jpg

hitch 2 (Large).jpg

Are you taking orders?

Wellllll ..... NO..!
But it wasen't that big a deal to fab it together. I got the class III hitch brand new in a pawn shop for $50.00. It was made for some kind of Toyota truck or SUV.
I made cardboard templates of the bumper mount to frame area and had 3/8" steel plate cut, (overkill), to make the end/mount brackets. Two 90% that bolted to the car, and two 90% that were welded to the hitch, after cutting the original frame mounts off the hitch.

I designed the car mount brackets so that I could remove the forward bumper bracket bolt and just back off the rear bolt. I slide the slotted hole behind the loosened bolt, pivot the bracket up and reinstall the forward bolt. Then everything stays loose until the hitch is raised into position and the six grade 8 mount bolts are in place. Then tighten everything up. Takes about 15/20 minutes to install and about 10 minutes to remove.

I towed the pop up behind Jazebelle for 6K miles last year and this spring. Alabama to Carlisle, via the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. A 2200 mile loop around Florida in Novenber and a trip to New Orleans this past March. No problems with the hitch at all.

DSC01256 (Large).jpg

DSC01257 (Large).jpg

DSC01259 (Large).jpg

DSC01260 (Large).jpg

From what I've seen the hitch will fit any 1969 C body and likely 70 and 71's also. The tail pipe tips may need to be modified, (shortened a couple inches), I compensated when I installed the TTI exhaust on Jazebelle. The wagon tips exit out the side and were not an issue.

FWIW, I have seen universal class III hitches that bolt together with the width adjusting to fit the frame. Way back in the seventies, I had a local guy weld up a hitch for my SFGT. He used a universal type weld together kit for that and it worked out great.

Back