Tranny pan leakage

Buldog9

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had this issue before? I have replaced tranny pan gasket at least 3 times in the last 2 weeks only to find 2 puddles the next morning. The last replacement I used a Felpro gasket and Blue silicone Hi temp gasket sealer. Still the same result. I am going to drop pan yet again today. Scrape off old silicone and replace with new gasket. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Tim

What I do is. Make sure the pan is straight, clean and flat. I use weatherstrip adhesive on pan side of gasket only, line up the holes flip the pan over (gasket side down) on the work bench for a few min. to let the adhesive ''tack''. Then put it on. 150in. pounds in three steps of 50. in a back and forth pattern.

You could also go to Ma's house and buy a reusable gasket for a ''518'' trans. (if yours is a 727).. I don't use any sealer on those.

Last edited:
Are you certain that the dipstick tube or the shift tower seal are not leaking and trailing along the pan gasket, making the pan appear to be the culprit, when it actually isn't.

Yes I am sure. I know exactly where its leaking always the same 2 places.

Was it leaking before you changed the filter and gasket?

Not leaking before. The shift seal was leaking. After that whole nightmare repair job thats when pan leaked. The latest advice from another site is to use no gasket and 3M Gorilla Snot. Waiting for that to arrive.

Huge mistake? He swears by it. I just installed a drain plug to make it a bit easier...Any suggestions? What is A-518?

OK. Just ordered a steel core factory seal from Summit.Will install with new bolts and lockwashers.Fingers crossed.

I am having the EXACT same problem. I have never been able to seal my transmission pan oil tight. I had recently replaced the pan with a deep aluminum pan from Summit, replaced the thin rubber and cork gasket with the thick plastic HD version with the o-ring surrounding the bolt holes and still the pan leaks. Please anyone reading this help!

BTW the thick gasket I had referred to in my previous post is the 518 gasket. Its dry on the pan side but leake where it mates to the transmission.

Is the Summit pan chromed? If so, there's your problem.
Also, cheap Chinese aluminum pans are not ridgid enough to uniformly distribute the force from the bolt hole evenly. Give it a thorough cleaning, fill it with kibble, and use it as a dog dish.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Last edited:
Is the Summit pan chromed? If so, there's your problem.
Also, cheap Chinese aluminum pans are not ridgid enough to uniformly distribute the force from the bolt hole evenly. Give it a thorough cleaning, fill it with kibble, and use it as a dog dish.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Stan, your innovative sense of re-purposing is over the top! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Back