Trans Kick down whoas!

fury Police

Reaction score
I have a 73 fury 3 NJSP car with 440.
Looking for help on proper hookup of downshift or detent rod on carb. It now has an edelbrock carb on it.. i dont want to fry the trans.
Unfortunately the engine is from a monaco i believe CHP car with California emissions
First picture is of edelbrock
Second picture is of the supposedly original carb... any help is appreciated.

4BA0F4EC-206C-431B-93C3-27C355AF7207.jpeg

C89B2603-6595-4C16-8CBD-D79CD780B1D8.png

That stock one doesn't have the correct hardware. I can't seethe rest of the carb to see if it is correct or not.

The way you have it now will work opposite of what you need. You need to mount that kickdown arm (slotted part) to above the pivot point on the carb, so when you push down the throttle it pushes the rod back. In your pic I can't see all the holes in your carb lever because your air cleaner is in the way. Find a hole close to where the throttle cable hooks up. When you get that set up, to adjust it loosen the kickdown adjustment bolt and pull the slotted arm all the way forward. Then with everything hooked up hold the throttle wide open and tighten the adjuster bolt. You also need a light spring attached to the kickdown linkage to hold it all the way forward. similar to a throttle return spring. I don't think I'm explaining it very well but check out some YouTube videos or do a search on here to find pics.

Thanks for replying. I kinda get what your saying. I believe the arm was at cable pivot point originally.. wasn’t sure. Heres car when i got it here..

17F12330-51C9-4A3C-915C-358A40A7C1FF.jpeg

I have a 73 fury 3 NJSP car with 440.
Looking for help on proper hookup of downshift or detent rod on carb. It now has an edelbrock carb on it.. i dont want to fry the trans.
Unfortunately the engine is from a monaco i believe CHP car with California emissions
First picture is of edelbrock
Second picture is of the supposedly original carb... any help is appreciated.

View attachment 527291

View attachment 527292
The slotted link needs to go above the throttle shaft so the linkage moves toward the firewall when you step on the throttle. You will need a couple pieces that may help. These adapters are designed for Edelbrock carbs and are needed on the small blocks. I would imagine Big blocks too. THere is also a throttle/kickdown pin that I am trying to find for you. Hopefully some will chime in.

Edelbrock 1843.jpg

The stud is what I am trying to find a part number for. The throttle connects on the inside (short side of the stud) and the slotted kickdown lever slides over the outboard side of the stud. (long side)

1650638045645.png

Back