Transmission Decode help

67Monaco

Go Woke, Go Broke.
Reaction score
Anyone able to decode transmission numbers? I've got what I thought was a core by the looks of the outside. The family scuttlebutt was that my wifes grandfather rebuilt this before he died. I've been very skeptical of that claim for many years. That is until this evening.

Numbers on the left side rail are as follows;

J2801543 3711037

As far as I've been able to determine it was made on 03/17/1966 but other than that, nothing. I can't even determine which plant it was built at.

Numbers and also why I hadn't believed it was rebuilt, dirty exterior.

y4mN-HAOGIyqoWbs4NaWUtdKTYmKom8ysK4TSvSI1Yr5LW6vT6H5Ubq2fIJfWsgmcfhlHNi34UgyCDicYXbAlii1EGeMs7NS3CEGmreEIm0HW3BrJvfEAc3DRSM_GNaFCLJkMtFvl-s6RHoTUGJAF3MYaT0dbbs-jSJ6Y-5TCN1_q6neLPHPBZ-ZORbdFJjJV_3F9oP-GB3G5YAGC9N2QhNnA

Cracked this bad boy open though, it all looks new other than sitting and wet from the batch I gave it today before I opened it up. Nothing was in the pan. Well other than a few drops of water that is from the pressure washing it got.;

y4mASyfWg6P5DYdx_3TMUPffdXQzfV6Z-3B0s-FpCJCcXgCr3Bc8fz2QZj6OQhJ2PwRzkxnRc5OgjokU7UMKOFCHHeRBPcQcqF3J87pH5bP2Nm-eYn3lgNoYBdY3uRDAVzWTR5bXoIV2QJZZAr6X_c8-jgc3Go13af2QjCkSfOUArv9Mko6yGghF9A_sZ0jvEBvoPKj7JabXS-wz_NZWLd3vw

Last edited:
Not a damn thing is easy. Now I have a '67 transmission in the car and a '66 to go in. Based on the numbers on the means it should have a 24 spline input shaft and the new one is 19 spline. So either the converter has to go or I have to replace the input shaft. Sigh.

My thought is new input shaft since my thought is to rebuild the transmission in the car now to go back in at a later date. BUT swapping the converter is much easier, it's also more $$.

You would be better off with changing input shaft to later 24 spline, more converter choices or just rebuild 67 unit they are not hard/cheap parts. That trans should have 4disc forward clutch not like later 400 2bbl with only 3 disc forward clutch.

You would be better off with changing input shaft to later 24 spline, more converter choices or just rebuild 67 unit they are not hard/cheap parts. That trans should have 4disc forward clutch not like later 400 2bbl with only 3 disc forward clutch.

According to Monroe's book, not that it's written in stone or anything, suggests the 66 transmission would be 4 disc and 4 steel, 8 return springs. Vs what's in there already, 4 Disc/steel with 10 return springs. But that's based on them both being stock. Now that I know the 66 has been opened I'm not really sure what's been done or been changed.

19 spline too? J2801541 3574279 Maybe I lucked out.

y4mCDWh_bHrruVGG2LEgDZKg5I3Ke_Ok3wcblIrQVDSZj0E7-o_pMr5rQZn3ZFdZBD41kXmYwbF22dyY8riRwTgWy6Co4oBhap_hyNYB4l1hRRJbJxBthShNvX5DIrnhC2LuSDraxhcXSmWz38qzgPp8sgL1E3B5Il4mcCXpy4-2xYPFPt3WKtt0Pg8X5bTiETZdfnQfSIShpK8yu-oyu4RKw
67 440 HP. You can add and subtract springs for as many pins as there are in drum.
Except for 5 disc hemi drum which is way overkill, 4 disc with decent frictions will hold just about anything.

Yeah at this point I'm more concerned with input shaft spline count. If I don't have to buy a new input shaft or torque convertor it'd be a big help. Since these are both about the same manufacture date. I assume they're both 19 spline.

The one on the bench has some modifications, larger ratio apply lever, both bands are solid, look to be raybestos, pressure plate is marked as a '69 (or at least it has a big ol' 69 on it). Front and rear clutch packs have 4 discs/steels. I haven't pulled it down any further.

I'll call it Franken Tranny (FT?)from here on out.

Last edited:
Back