1967 Monaco Fender tag decode help

That’s late enough in ‘70 that it could be for the ‘71 model year.

PM sent. As for the tag decode, this is what I get:

Here's what I get:

a6 -
b5 -
d6 -
h7 -
j4 - pretty sure it's a side-trim code
k7 -
u1 -
A1 -
H2 -
J4 -
K8 -
R2 - radio (am with front/rear speakers) or maybe FM radio?
S1 -
X1 - all tinted glass

A4 - 3.23 rear axle
X8 - sure grip (!)

TRM - P6R premium grade vinyl on the bucket seats, red interior
PNT - WW1 (monotone white)
UBS - H (upper door frame paint) H is Tan?

62 - 383 4bbl
5 - automatic trans
635 - 8.55 x 14 tires white wall (4 + spare?)
C19 - December 19 (scheduled build date)

It's a Monaco 500 (console, bucket seats, fender turn signals, wide side trim). Was the 500 package indicated on the TRM code? Was the 3-spoke steering wheel part of the 500 package? Or did all US Monaco's get that, regardless of trim level, and Polara's (and non-500 Canadian Monaco's) got the 2-spoke wheel?

One of those codes is going to be for A/C. Another code for power windows. No cruise control, no tilt/tele steering. No bumper guards. Check for power (vacuum) trunk release. Does it have shoulder belts? Has the radio been pulled from the dash? Almost certainly made at the Belvedere plant. I'm guessing the vin is going to be DP23H74xxxxxx.
A few additions from my opinions to populate the list.

a6 -console
b5 -bucket seats?
d6 -
h7 -fender or hood mounted turn indicators
j4 - body sill trim moldings
k7 -
u1 -sold car when built
A1 -26 inch radiator
H2 -
J4 -power left hand seat
K8 -power windows
R2 - radio (Astrophonic)
S1 -air conditioning
X1 - all tinted glass

A4 - 3.23 rear axle
X8 - sure grip (!)

TRM - P6R premium grade vinyl on the bucket seats, red interior
PNT - WW1 (monotone white)
UBS - H (upper door frame paint) H is Tan?

62 - 383 4bbl
5 - automatic trans
635 - 8.55 x 14 tires white wall (4 + sp

Note this is a headrest car. Headrests were optional equipment.
Interesting there are no bumper guards when they were piling on all the other options.

For this car, what we don't know the codes for:

- power door locks
- right side rear view mirror
- seat head rests
- side trim

Based on my car's relatively few options:

j4 - door sill molding
g2 - unknown
w6 - Canadian spec

g2 is a candidate for bumper guards

My car had the regular (narrow) lowerside trim, and the 1" wide belt-line trim, but there doesn't seem to be an option code for that?

Does the DP23 automatically code for Monaco 500 which by default indicates the wide body trim, so no other tag code for that is expected?

My guess is that d6, k7 and H2 must codes for some combination of power locks / right-side mirror / head rests.

R2 codes for the higher-power (but still only AM) radio, which must include the rear speaker and dash-mounted fader dial.

Does this car have shoulder belts or power trunk or rear window fan? Build sheet?

I think something fell on the trunk lid to mangle it like that.

Last edited:

- power door locks
- seat head rests
- side trim

j4 - door sill molding
g2 - unknown
w6 - Canadian spec

My car had the regular (narrow) lowerside trim, and the 1" wide belt-line trim, but there doesn't seem to be an option code for that?

Does the DP23 automatically code for Monaco 500 which by default indicates the wide body trim, so no other tag code for that is expected?

My guess is that d6, k7 and H2 must codes for some combination of power locks / right-side mirror / head rests.

R2 codes for the higher-power (but still only AM) radio, which must include the rear speaker and dash-mounted fader dial.

Does this car have shoulder belts or power trunk or rear window fan? Build sheet?

My 67 Polara 500 convertible carried j4 code for body sill molding, even though that molding was standard with the 500 package, and runs along with wheel well moldings.
My 67 Polara 4dr carried j4 code for body sill molding, and that was an optional 1.5" wide molding that ran the length of the rocker panel (it does not have continuity/is not interconnected with other moldings. Here is a link to the molding thread: New 1967 Polara Convert

The Polara, Polara 500, Monaco, and Monaco 500 all had their own standard and unique molding packages, except the Monaco borrowed by using the upper belt line moldings from the Polara. There are examples of each in the molding thread. I don't know why they codified the lower molding on my Polara 500 convertible when it was standard, and am not sure if the Monaco 500 is coded j4 when those wide moldings are standard. Maybe a Monaco 500 owner can chime in if j4 is on their fender tag. The Polara 500 lower moldings are a different animal than the Monaco 500 lower moldings.

My 67 Polara 500 convertible and my 67 Polara 2 dr fast top are both equipped with bumper guards, but neither carry g2 code. They could have been theoretically added at the dealership, but I am skeptical that happened to both cars.

I have a j4 on my other very low optioned 500.
My plan is to upgrade the black car with the red interior parts from the white one as well as some other items.. whole doors for the power windows/locks, unbroken grill, console/floor shift, dash, rear speaker.. a few other pieces when in better shape. But I will be open to selling smaller items once I figure everything out

20240318_173408.jpg

- power door locks
- seat head rests
- side trim

j4 - door sill molding
g2 - unknown
w6 - Canadian spec

Keep in mind 1967 was a transitional model year .
As we discussed before in another thread, Canadian spec'd Monaco 500 had a VIN starting with DH, and US spec'd cars-- including Windsor built cars destined for south of the border VIN starts DP.
The wide lower side moldings are part of the 500 package and typically noted on fender tag.
Not uncommon same code used for the narrower Monaco standard molding.
1968 saw all Monaco 500's regardless where they were built all were DP.
The extra options on the white car that are not on the fender tag should be on the broadcast sheet.
The information on the Certicard and fender tag were all that the dealership needed for warranty and servicing.
Every plant used certain codes differently, and sometimes not stamped on the tag.
I seen this in person with 2 500's side by side.
Also dealer installed options ( radio, fader, rear defogger, mirror) will not be on either tag or broadcast sheet

My 67 500 has headrests but not on fender tag, just an example.
My 68 Newport has dealer installed rear speaker and rear defogger. Both not on broadcast sheet.
69 and newer Windsor built cars are known to have sparse fender tags, yet options appear on the broadcast sheet.
Hope this helps.

Keep in mind 1967 was a transitional model year .

Yes well let's continue to figure out what all the tag codes mean for '67 shall we?

I get it that the car might have something that isin't coded on the plate. But is the converse true? Would they stamp something on the plate that has no connection to a feature on the car?

And a side question - were these '67 fender tags layed out the same for all Mopar cars? Same set of rows? Chrysler / Dodge / Plymouth? Did X always code for window tinting, R for Radio, regardless what '67 car we're talking about?

My car has g2, still don't know what that is. Would the A/B/E body crowd have that figured out?

Are there definate examples of how Windsor and Belvedere differed in terms of '67 C-body plate codes? I think they used different formatting for the wheel/tire codes.

And what is the sill molding?

Is it what you see when you open the door?

Or is it the long piece under the door that runs from wheel to wheel?

Yes well let's continue to figure out what all the tag codes mean for '67 shall we?

I get it that the car might have something that isin't coded on the plate. But is the converse true? Would they stamp something on the plate that has no connection to a feature on the car?

And a side question - were these '67 fender tags layed out the same for all Mopar cars? Same set of rows? Chrysler / Dodge / Plymouth? Did X always code for window tinting, R for Radio, regardless what '67 car we're talking about?

My car has g2, still don't know what that is. Would the A/B/E body crowd have that figured out?

Are there definate examples of how Windsor and Belvedere differed in terms of '67 C-body plate codes? I think they used different formatting for the wheel/tire codes.

And what is the sill molding?

Is it what you see when you open the door?

Or is it the long piece under the door that runs from wheel to wheel?

I get it that the car might have something that isin't coded on the plate. But is the converse true? Would they stamp something on the plate that has no connection to a feature on the car? No. Defeats the purpose of the tag. The tag is, generally, a traveling durable way to communicate modifications to the body (holes, moldings, brackets) trim and paint. Adding codes not related to these guidelines would only confuse the process.

were these '67 fender tags layed out the same for all Mopar cars? Same set of rows? Chrysler / Dodge / Plymouth? Did X always code for window tinting, R for Radio, regardless what '67 car we're talking about? Yes. The 67 ABC tag format is the same for all plants, makes and models. Coding is generally
consistent for all cars. There are some variations.

Are there definite examples of how Windsor and Belvedere differed in terms of '67 C-body plate codes? I think they used different formatting for the wheel/tire codes. Yes. There are differences between the plants. Windsor uses a two digit tire code, Belvedere uses a three digit code. Windsor uses w/6 and w/8 to distinguish between US and Canada bound cars. The Windsor plant VON and VIN series are different depending on whether it was built for sale in Canada or US. (we had a very fascinating comparison at last year's VOLO show between two Windsor built cars. One was built for US and one for Canada.)

And what is the sill molding? the molding under the door

Last edited:

While decoding Scoopy G '67 Newport, Ripinator said that g6 is outside remote operated driver's side mirror. That Newport tag also has d6 but was still unknown in that thread, as it is here for this white Monaco.​

This white Monaco does have driver's side remote mirror, I overlooked that, so if there's a code for that it can't be g6 (but maybe is d6?)

Has anyone ever dealt with this outfit?

----------
We can provide decoding services for trim tags, broadcast sheets or IBM production cards. We have been providing this service free of charge for anyone that commissions us to inspection and/or validations their vehicle. We have information that most do not to accurately and timely provide you with this service.
----------

cdmcclellan71 what brakes are on the front wheels of your white car? Disk or drum?​

Last edited:
I get it that the car might have something that isin't coded on the plate. But is the converse true? Would they stamp something on the plate that has no connection to a feature on the car? No. Defeats the purpose of the tag. The tag is, generally, a traveling durable way to communicate modifications to the body (holes, moldings, brackets) trim and paint. Adding codes not related to these guidelines would only confuse the process.

were these '67 fender tags layed out the same for all Mopar cars? Same set of rows? Chrysler / Dodge / Plymouth? Did X always code for window tinting, R for Radio, regardless what '67 car we're talking about? Yes. The 67 ABC tag format is the same for all plants, makes and models. Coding is generally
consistent for all cars. There are some variations.

Are there definite examples of how Windsor and Belvedere differed in terms of '67 C-body plate codes? I think they used different formatting for the wheel/tire codes. Yes. There are differences between the plants. Windsor uses a two digit tire code, Belvedere uses a three digit code. Windsor uses w/6 and w/8 to distinguish between US and Canada bound cars. The Windsor plant VON and VIN series are different depending on whether it was built for sale in Canada or US. (we had a very fascinating comparison at last year's VOLO show between two Windsor built cars. One was built for US and one for Canada.)

And what is the sill molding? the molding under the door
Thanks for chiming in!
Yes the comparison at the show was very fascinating! An eye opener for sure!
It was also a pleasure meeting you at the show!
@MoPar~Man here are 2 Windsor built 67 500's. The turquiose one is my Cdn spec car and yellow one is the U.S. spec car.
IMG_2741.jpeg

Cdn cars used philips head screws on the tag.
Belvedere used rivets
Both tags here are Windsor cars, but 2nd tag is a US car.

20230629_162418.jpg

20230624_104958.jpg

Cdn cars used philips head screws on the tag.
Belvedere used rivets
Both tags here are Windsor cars, but 2nd tag is a US car.

I assume that both VIN tags on those cars say "Made in Canada"? Did they both (originally) have US-style Monaco tail lights?

Besides the W8 stamp on the tag, what exactly made it a US-spec car? I'm not doubting that's what the W8 is meant to denote, I'm curious what technically would have been different about it.

I assume that both VIN tags on those cars say "Made in Canada"? Did they both (originally) have US-style Monaco tail lights?

Besides the W8 stamp on the tag, what exactly made it a US-spec car? I'm not doubting that's what the W8 is meant to denote, I'm curious what technically would have been different about it.
Yes both say MADE IN CANADA
No the yellow car has Polara taillights.
As I said before, the US spec'd car has a totally different VIN and sequential number.
Cdn cars sequential number starts wih 3, US spec car starts with 1

Screenshot_20230629_163722_YouTube.jpg

20230629_162449.jpg

20231110_004428.jpg

Having a different VIN pattern is largely irrelevant (or - to be expected). There has to be something more substantial to make it a "US-spec" car - no?

Having a different VIN pattern is largely irrelevant (or - to be expected). There has to be something more substantial to make it a "US-spec" car - no?

The different VIN pattern is not irrelevant nor unprecedented.

Different VIN assignments would be a way of managing any parts specific inventory as well as any accounting for any trade agreements in place at that time. One would be able to track how many cars stayed in Canada and how many were shipped to the US.

The different VIN assignment is a good example as to why the VIN number is administrative and not related to production.

The different VIN pattern is not irrelevant nor unprecedented.

Different VIN assignments would be a way of managing any parts specific inventory as well as any accounting for any trade agreements in place at that time. One would be able to track how many cars stayed in Canada and how many were shipped to the US.

The different VIN assignment is a good example as to why the VIN number is administrative and not related to production.
Then in 68 the first two letters of VIN was same on both sides of the border,lol.
DP was Monaco 500, DH was plain Monaco.
The Autopact Agreement was in full effect and by 1971, a LOT of Canadian market specific cars from all Big Three were gone with only a few that lingered into the 1980's.
Yet assembly plants shipped cars across the border, both ways.
But that is a whole other topic.

20231110_015606.jpg

Last edited:
Back