Tried the Zevo Slyvania LED 1157 bulbs.

Well the recommendation is to use the bulb color of the lenses with LED's

Why would you want red bulbs for the tail lights. You dont have clear lenses.

Found this explanation once when I was researching LED conversions.

A white LED produces a full spectrum light colour . Red lenses do not 'block' red light. They allow only red light to pass, losing a lot of the available light. Or more specifically, light that is in the 650 nm wavelength range. That means that everything higher and lower is blocked, wasting that light not being visible through the lense. The incandescent bulb makes up for it with higher output (wattage) and emits quite a bit of light (and heat). A red incandescent bulb is no advantage either because the glass is RED and the light emitted by the filament is still white - the red glass just does the same as the red lense.

i had these leds in my tail lights my lights were dimmer at night than before so i put standard blubs back and added a third center light in the rear window from Flashing Steady LED Brake Light by Top Serve LLC

OK... I do get the thought behind this. I have a question for the informed membership... I have heard there is something about a flashing light that doesn't work for the impaired drivers out there... I knew one who got his DUI due to hitting a fire truck. and have heard(seen) that the state troopers on the side of the highway seem to draw the wrecks too. Strobe effect issues...

Is there any kind of study showing this to be a positive or a negative? I see it often on motorcycles... but around here 2/3rds of them don't use legal lighting anyhow.

I will. Should be here soon. Intersting thing is I have Edison bulbs up front [2] and replaced 4 bulbs in the back with Zevo and the flash rate is basically the same. I think the front Edison bulbs are brighter now since there is so little draw from the rear. So I ordered the amber zevo bulbs and a flasher for led's. If the bulbs don't fit in the front I will still be happy with the setup as it is now and I have 4 extra bulbs for the front!!

I ordered the Ambers for upfront too, should be here before Carlisle, I'm dipping my toe in the pools onto speak . Lol

What flasher did you order? If I decide to continue the LED's throughout I what to ready to install them all in one shot and have everything I need.

Also, for the back taillights! Are those dual filament /LED for break and running lights like the normal 1157's are? Or is there a specific LED bulb for those? I need (6) For the back of my 75. Cha Ching!!!!!!!

let me know if they work.

I got the 2 Amber Sylvania Zevo bulbs today and went and put them in the front. They fit but are taller than the stock Edison bulbs. I was thinking you could file off the top heat sink to match the height of the stock bulbs without much trouble. The high beam portion would only be on for the turn signals so I wouldn't think cooling would be a problem. Anyway I put in one side and they fit as I said and turned on the running lights to compare with the other side with the Edison bulb.
The Edison bulb was much brighter than the Zevo. I put on the flashers and the Edison was much brighter. When I did the rear [4 zevo led's] it was a marked improvement over Edison. What I think is happening is the Edison bulbs in front have a lot more juice than before because the rear bulbs are consuming so much less current. Long story short I left the Edison bulbs in on the front and the zevo's in the rear. The angle of the Zevo's when installed in the socket was such that the main beam of light was pointed up and down on the rectangular reflector which I wouldn't think is good.

I got the 2 Amber Sylvania Zevo bulbs today and went and put them in the front. They fit but are taller than the stock Edison bulbs. I was thinking you could file off the top heat sink to match the height of the stock bulbs without much trouble. The high beam portion would only be on for the turn signals so I wouldn't think cooling would be a problem. Anyway I put in one side and they fit as I said and turned on the running lights to compare with the other side with the Edison bulb.
The Edison bulb was much brighter than the Zevo. I put on the flashers and the Edison was much brighter. When I did the rear [4 zevo led's] it was a marked improvement over Edison. What I think is happening is the Edison bulbs in front have a lot more juice than before because the rear bulbs are consuming so much less current. Long story short I left the Edison bulbs in on the front and the zevo's in the rear. The angle of the Zevo's when installed in the socket was such that the main beam of light was pointed up and down on the rectangular reflector which I wouldn't think is good.

Thanks for the report!

I got may Amber LED's in the mail yesterday. Went right an out them in the front turn signals. They too were duller than the standard bulbs, an when I put in the turn signal, they did not blink, just stayed on high, I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade my blinker flasher. Not discouraged though. I may just do with Turboomni did and put the LEDs in my back up and brake lights and maybe even the markers around the car. We'll see. I was just testing the waters anyway.

If anyone wants to try my Amber Sylvania bulbs send me a PM with your address and I will send them off to you .

if they stayed on "bright", you may have reversed the bulbs...:confused:

Also, yes you will need to go to an electronic flasher that doesn't care about electrical load. it just goes on and off at a set time interval

FWIW, SlantSixDan addressed using the Sylvania v. Phillips LED bulbs in this thread. Exterior Lighting Resto/Maintenance/Upgrades Post #3 and you have to follow the links.

From the way I read it, the Phillips bulb works better in some applications and the Sylvania in others. It looks like it depends on reflector shape. The cost of the Phillips is about double though.

Dan's website has some interesting reading on lighting in general. Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I was thinking about this conversion, but after all the pluses and minuses I've read here, I think I'll stand pat with the originals. I don't drive that much at night anyway and I could find a lot better use for a hundred bucks per car. If I did the switch on all my cars, I'd dump better than $800 on Friggin light bulbs and resistors! Forget it! Thanks guys, you just bought me tires and more for my 77 Lotus!

I got may Amber LED's in the mail yesterday. Went right an out them in the front turn signals. They too were duller than the standard bulbs, an when I put in the turn signal, they did not blink, just stayed on high, I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade my blinker flasher. Not discouraged though. I may just do with Turboomni did and put the LEDs in my back up and brake lights and maybe even the markers around the car. We'll see. I was just testing the waters anyway.
The more you over think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

Your results may vary! For me the rear [4 led lights] were brighter on braking and turn signals than Edison bulbs. Running lights were not any different. After installing the rear leds as I was happy with them I tried the 2 front Amber Leds. The way they were oriented with the leds's pointed the wrong way in the housing they seemed not as bright as the Edison's. The Edison's were now brighter than before because there was less draw from the rear by a considerable margin so I stayed with the Edison's in front. The rear led's helped the front incandescent bulbs.
I spent 40 bucks for the rear [4] led's and 15 for the front which I don't use but overall I feel it was an improvement back and front.

Your results may vary! For me the rear [4 led lights] were brighter on braking and turn signals than Edison bulbs. Running lights were not any different. After installing the rear leds as I was happy with them I tried the 2 front Amber Leds. The way they were oriented with the leds's pointed the wrong way in the housing they seemed not as bright as the Edison's. The Edison's were now brighter than before because there was less draw from the rear by a considerable margin so I stayed with the Edison's in front. The rear led's helped the front incandescent bulbs.
I spent 40 bucks for the rear [4] led's and 15 for the front which I don't use but overall I feel it was an improvement back and front.
I think it sounds like yours are perfect... you got the desired improvement without needing to relamp the entire car.

Solid state flashers CAN be picked up at your local parts store. All you need to do to make it work is to add your own ground wire since they have a plastic housing.

Sylvania Zevo lights.

Taillight.JPG

Back