Trunk mat

polarus

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find the correct trunk mat for my car (72 Polara.) Is there another one that's similar?

Stay away from the factory moisture barrier. Moisture will greenhouse under there and grow rust.
If you need a covering, use carpet

Whereas that may be true some of us are doing restorations and are looking for factory looking material.

Alan

Since the factory had a trunk dress up package, you can get away with it if you use the right material.

Your police car is probably a different story. I did take the mat out of dad's 30,000 original mile beauty. I would rather have no mat than rust, it's only a matter of time

Even my Other Polara has a mat
2009-11-21_41.jpg

my floor was in good shape...
2009-12-28_01.gif

Was not so lucky on the CHP car.

Not sure at what level they had mats vs the dress-up pagkage, this is diecut for this car as was the CHP (convertible mat because of the relocated spare)

Alan

I have yet to see one for a 70 or 71 with the correct pattern and gauge thickness vinyl

The dress up was an option, also as part of the towing package, as I understand it

My car didn't have a mat when I got it, not sure what design or pattern it's supposed to have. I would like to have the mat because that's what it had originally, I'd remove it before the car was put away for the winter.

Even my Other Polara has a mat
2009-11-21_41.jpg

That is the exact reproduction mat I have in the back of my Polara. Came in as one large 54" x 80" piece and I needed to use the old as a template to cut out the new one. So it was a perfect fit for me. Gauge was quite substantial. The old one in my car had some kind of felt backing which was shedding little black pieces all the time not to mention stuck to the bare trunk itself. I believe it was from Layson's.

Back