Trunk mat

I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I am out changing the carb on the car.

Finally did get my mat from Layson's with 20% off during Christmas. Sent me a large sheet in the right pattern and quite thick. Laid my old on top, cut it out and laid it down in the trunk. Nice and flat with no wrinkles.
Thanks .I really appreciate you having the same model as I do!!!!

I too have used Legendary. I live near their store and went there and they cut what I needed off a roll. I wanted to ask you a question about your vip spring special polara. I am in the process of having my seats done with the correct factory plaid material and wanted to know what color thread was used to sew the lines in the seats? I am not sure if it is white or grey or even black. Can't tell from the pictures I have. The reason I am asking is because the previous owner changed out the plaid inserts for black cloth and I am correcting that with original material from SMS. Hope you read this and can respond. Thanks

Looks white to me

Fabric_thread.jpg

Dont replace the mat... one way or another you'll get rust on the pan. Get a trunk carpet (dress up) and be happy you did

I may have been a nitwit for ordering a replacement mat last week before finding out this old thread, but so be it. Reviving it to ask (i) what makes the carpet so much less prone to allowing for condensation/rust and (ii) where to order a dress-up kit for a 1970 Polara 'vert.

I may have been a nitwit for ordering a replacement mat last week before finding out this old thread, but so be it. Reviving it to ask (i) what makes the carpet so much less prone to allowing for condensation/rust and (ii) where to order a dress-up kit for a 1970 Polara 'vert.
The vinyl mats will "sweat" or collect condensation during high humidity and then the dampness doesn't evaporate. It holds the moisture against the trunk floor and rust just happens. The carpet doesn't collect the moisture as much and if it does, it evaporates.

Gary Goers was offering that type of thing. He has some health issues and by looking at his web page, I don't know if he would be filling any orders like this or not. Gary Goers Classic Car Interior Restoration

I bought some cheap black loop carpet on eBay and laid out what was left of my trunk mat on it and cut it to size. I didn't edge the carpet, but you could have a pro do it... or I have thought about using this stuff. Instabind Black Carpet Binding - Sold by The Foot - Regular Binding 751778988259 | eBay

The vinyl mats will "sweat" or collect condensation during high humidity and then the dampness doesn't evaporate. It holds the moisture against the trunk floor and rust just happens. The carpet doesn't collect the moisture as much and if it does, it evaporates.

That's what I deduced from posts on another thread, but it's good to have confirmation. Thank you.

I assume that means something like WeatherTech would have the same issues, right?

Gary Goers was offering that type of thing. He has some health issues and by looking at his web page, I don't know if he would be filling any orders like this or not. Gary Goers Classic Car Interior Restoration

Thank you for the link. Has anybody ordered from him in the past few months?

I bought some cheap black loop carpet on eBay and laid out what was left of my trunk mat on it and cut it to size. I didn't edge the carpet, but you could have a pro do it... or I have thought about using this stuff. Instabind Black Carpet Binding - Sold by The Foot - Regular Binding 751778988259 | eBay

You did not reinstall mat atop the carpet after cutting the carpet to size, right? I assume you would get water issues between the carpet and the mat, which would then percolate to the metal?

Last edited:
You did not reinstall mat atop the carpet after cutting the carpet to size, right? I assume you would get water issues between the carpet and the mat, which would then percolate to the metal?

Just the carpet was installed.

Back