Trying to determine what my recently purchased '59 Coronet color is

How about posting some pictures of the truck or someplace else that hasn't been hammered by the sun? You might find the colors a lot closer match. Just sayin, Good Luck
I only have some exterior photos of the car while I was there last week. It's staying in Kansas in storage while I'm in Long Island N.Y. But yes , inside door frame and trunk area would give me a better idea of the original colors.

The hood or under the trunk lid will almost always offer good color; or if you happen to pull a door card off, many times you'll find good color there, as well.

Lilac might be a possibility for the darker shade, too. That was a 1966-1967 shade, but it could've been earlier as a different name? Either that, or my eyes are really going to hell on me.

If you know a quality detail shop and the paint has not burned through to primer, you might look into what's called a "paint correction" to bring out the real shine on your existing paint. Not a cheap detail job! Depending on where you are at, it can run from $400 up to $900. That also includes the ceramic coating, which a quality shop guarantees for two years. I'm having this done to my Imperial before our Southern Plains Mopar Fest in June.

Last edited:
Thank you for asking your Brother for me. I just poured over Dodge, Plymouth, Desoto and Chrysler paint charts from 1959 and those two colors don't show up anywhere. I know all car makers call the same color by a different name but Sahara Beige and Fawn are never mentioned.

I believe that the two colors are so faded on the car that most people think those are the actual colors.

View attachment 457839

View attachment 457840
he said to look up 1958, that is the same color just a different name.

The hood or under the trunk lid will almost always offer good color; or if you happen to pull a door card off, many times you'll find good color there, as well.

Lilac might be a possibility for the darker shade, too. That was a 1966-1967 shade, but it could've been earlier as a different name? Either that, or my eyes are really going to hell on me.

If you know a quality detail shop and the paint has not burned through to primer, you might look into what's called a "paint correction" to bring out the real shine on your existing paint. Not a cheap detail job! Depending on where you are at, it can run from $400 up to $900. That also includes the ceramic coating, which a quality shop guarantees for two years. I'm having this done to my Imperial before our Southern Plains Mopar Fest in June.

That is something I would most definitely prefer. However there are a few locations on the body where it looks like a paint had been put on it. Again, I'm over 1400 miles away from it now so can't look up close. Lower driver's door and passenger side rear door and quarter panel.
Also, the seller was considering redoing the exterior in Jet Black with Platinum trim ( 1959 factory colors which truthfully, looks awesome. He showed me a picture of one. ) So he had a small amount of black put on the driver's fin area. You can see it in the 2nd photo. So these would be my hurdles. But like I said, I like your idea very much !!

1959-dodge-coronet-lancer-2-dr-hdtp (1).jpg

4.jpg

1959-dodge-coronet-lancer-2-dr-hdtp.jpg

Looks can be and are deceiving, pictures make it even worse! If that car has as much dirt on it as that back window doesn't help either. That thing may clean up and look good with a good wash & scrub, or is it a fluff & buff?

The R and M paint chip code on the net shows 1954-59 as same colors, just named differently. Sierra beige is on the 58 sheet. and some paint chip sheets shown are Incomplete. Good luck!

Looks can be and are deceiving, pictures make it even worse! If that car has as much dirt on it as that back window doesn't help either. That thing may clean up and look good with a good wash & scrub, or is it a fluff & buff?
Yes I have to admit, looking at that back window makes me shudder. A good wash-n-scrub might make the paint actually look correct for what it is.

Looks like I'll have to contact the seller for that photo of the VIN tag if I want to get this correct. Won't be for some time anyhow but still wanna know what she's gonna look like.

Thanks all for your input !

Back