Tune up advice

Cops do not want Safety Inspections. Won't be able to pull over La’Quaysha, Pedro, or Billy Bob for a tail light out.

In my state TN.(in some counties near Nashville) they have Emission testing only on 1975 cars and newer. No safety inspection whatsoever. It's all about the Money ! Also a Good way to Screw the Poor that can't afford a new car or pay 500.00 for a "Check engine light" code repair.

Sorted out timing and vacuum advance with my points on my 440. She has never run better.
It is now in the mid 80's and I am getting a bit of detonation at part throttle but not all the time. Dwell is 29. The base timing is at 12 to 13 * btdc. I am running a Edelbrock 1406 with stock jets and metering rods I believe. Should I backoff timing first or should I try richer metering rods by one step first, or something else? . I know the 1406 tends to be lean. Plugs look good.
Hate to back off timing as she idles and runs great in cooler weather and when hotter too except for the slight pinging.. But I realize you got to do what you got to do if necessary. Any thoughts would be great to point me in the correct direction.

thanks
Check out the breaker plate. They can wear out and then they don't hold the points steady; your dwell can change back and forth while you drive. I had that happen with my 71 SFGT with a 440. Replacing the breaker plate was easy and cheap, and after that the dwell held right where it should be. That could cause your occasional pinging.

Just an update. and thanks to all for your thoughts. I checked the Vac Advance and it is not adjustable. I may order one up from Tony's parts and experiment. I checked the timing and it was at 15 degrees btdc. I just backed it down to 12 and the problem seems to be gone. I am running a reman good Cardone distributor and the breaker plate seems good but thanks for that info too SFGT440. All systems go I guess for a 65 mile trek to Gill MA today for a car cruise. Upper 70's today with 0% chance of rain. Taking rte 9 and no highways,,,wish me luck!!

I just backed it down to 12 and the problem seems to be gone.
Advance it as far as possible while keeping it easy to start and then keep backing off until the knock stops using premium gas.

There will now follow posts from a cupla guys with 1,000 line replies on what ends up being exactly what I said.

It's the solution 90% of the time for street use.
This place is too predictable.

Well I would like to keep it at 15 btdc and get an adjustable Vacuum advance to experiment with. Seems rather crude [but works] to back down everything. I would rather be able to adjust it more specifically like the vac advance only.
I haven't even mucked with the mechanical advance and what a pain to get to on these distributors.

In my state TN.(in some counties near Nashville) they have Emission testing only on 1975 cars and newer. No safety inspection whatsoever. It's all about the Money ! Also a Good way to Screw the Poor that can't afford a new car or pay 500.00 for a "Check engine light" code repair.
While I agree that emission inspections are a money grab. You would be cutting your own throat leaving the check engine light on just in the reduced engine life and wasted fuel. Your car is telling you what is wrong, all you have to do is fix it, granted some things are pricey, cats and lots of emission piping

How many dealers charged one hr for the Diagnostic and simply gave the gas cap an extra twist?

Many big auto parts stores [autozone etc] will do a free diagnostic readout of your car for free.

How many dealers charged one hr for the Diagnostic and simply gave the gas cap an extra twist?
Thieves everywhere. AAP and AZ will read it for free. Then of course the dolt at (pick one) auto parts only knows what code reader tells them. Further scaring the customer that it's going to be major $ in parts. Most evap system won't cost you mileage. I can't believe the dummies that will run around with bad O2 or misfire codes. Hell, I have even burned myself over thinking a rich condition on a sparingly used car, air filter duh!!! Glad someone in FLA. Got me thinking straight again.

Well codes will obviously not always tell you the problem,many times just the resulting symptom. But any one that dabbles in cars knows if they had the ability to access a code they would surely take it and go from there.

The Last Reman Cardone Distributor I bought for my 440 left me stranded when the Points hold down screw hole was stripped. I returned it to A/Z .I found a Autoline on Rockauto, Much better Reman quality. I am sure Cardone was a good Reman. but now they reman in Mexico or have New Parts Made in China. I have had Very good luck with Autoline for Carbs and Distributors. Way Better Quality control.

I hear it all the time, just hook up that machine to the car and it tells you what's wrong. Why are you charging me so much for diagnosing when it told you what was wrong????? If it was only that easy

Cardone and auto line are really the only choices out there. I don't like that the distributor will work in your car but is set up in the middle for a vast array of vehicles so the curve is usually off.

I hear it all the time, just hook up that machine to the car and it tells you what's wrong. Why are you charging me so much for diagnosing when it told you what was wrong????? If it was only that easy
Someone has to pay for the snap on machine. Your it.

I will go out of my way for Autoline products, Not as easy to find as Cardone. But Rockauto is a good place to start. Just sayin!

Back