Turn signal option

Good Evening and Happy Thanksgiving,
My '65 Newport states in the owners manual that the dash mounted bulbs were deleted with fender mounted turn signals. The thought was that they were redundant since the driver could see them.
I added the ones to the dash as the openings were there; just needed the sockets. I also replaced all the lamps with LED style. Much brighter, less amp draw and less heat that destroys the lenses/diffusers. Did the same for the dome and trunk light.

Omni

Omni is correct about 65/66 Chryslers, and as noted above, the holes were typically covered with black tape, otherwise there would be ghost images of the turn signals in the gauge cluster from the ambient light from other bulbs.

Regarding the later model Fury - it sounds like when one ordered fender mounted turn signals, there would be a different dash wiring harness that did not have the wires and sockets for the turn signals - or perhaps, they are just taped up out of the way. Check and see. If they're there, put bulbs in them and plug them into the holes. I bet they'd work!

Omni is correct about 65/66 Chryslers, and as noted above, the holes were typically covered with black tape, otherwise there would be ghost images of the turn signals in the gauge cluster from the ambient light from other bulbs.

Regarding the later model Fury - it sounds like when one ordered fender mounted turn signals, there would be a different dash wiring harness that did not have the wires and sockets for the turn signals - or perhaps, they are just taped up out of the way. Check and see. If they're there, put bulbs in them and plug them into the holes. I bet they'd work!

If this is true, there will be more than one part # for the dash wiring harness. Otherwise there should be pigtails that are not used. Check the parts manual in the electrical section. You could splice some wire into the harness to make them work. Big John's photo shows what is needed. Be a lot easier if the speedo cluster is removed first.

Good Afternoon
The dash mounted turn signals are not direct wired. They are part of the circuit board. All that is needed to activate them is the correct bulb receptacle. (Plug -n- Play).
Omni

Good Afternoon
The dash mounted turn signals are not direct wired. They are part of the circuit board. All that is needed to activate them is the correct bulb receptacle. (Plug -n- Play).
Omni
I think it was determined that the 67 Fury didn't use circuit boards and was direct wired.

Alan

Hey everyone, just catching up on this threat while searching for information on the dash cluster bulb twist sockets for the #57 style bulb (anyone got 2 to spare?).

Anywho, I was trying to figure out why there were no turn signal bulbs going into the back of speedo on my '66 Fury VIP.
As you can see by the picture it had tape over the holes and this car has indicators on the hood.
Thanks for the above info. Now all I have to do is figure out where the hood wiring plugs into in the engine bay!

20220805_193941.jpg

Hi Brad,
My 73 had fender top turn signals and no instrument cluster signal lights.
I also read about a 1967 that had the same situation.
I think your dealing with a factory choice to not have turn signals in the instrument cluster when they are on the hood or fender. Ben

Back