Turn signal wiring in column problem...

Glider

Reaction score
Due to hard to find "& other stuff" I've replaced the steering box with one from a rather modern box from a Dodge truck, loads of work to make it sit in the right position but well worth it! But that also ment a modern collapsible shaft with u-joints & oh here we go...
As I was filling the power steering tank I had to start the engine & turn the steering wheel, stop engine to fill more oil & so on a few times, but when there's not enough oil the steering feels weird before the system is full so I didn't understand how strange it felt until the horn started honking when I turned the wheel!
So I had to get the wheel off & the column out to discover the wires had got caught to the u-joint!:mad:
Now it looks like this & I wonder if anyone can guide me to connect the wires..?:
(especially those of the same color, as you can see there's only one still attached)
P1030568.JPG

Over 80 who's checked this out but not one single who has any idea? Isn't there anyne who's got some shop manual with a decent diagram where it's possible to follow every separate wire from one spot to the next?
'tis a sad car now...

qStøtfångarn 18.JPG

You have a lot of things going against us helping you.

First, until your second post here, we had no idea what car you are dealing with. The steering column and switch is also an unknown year and then you've got what looks like a poor rewiring job with the same color wires.

So, trying to give you specific wiring help is gonna be tough to do. Do you have any idea what the column came from?

Here's some theory on how it all works that may help.

https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/mtsc/207.pdf

You can get a 1956 FSM that will have the wiring diagram for your car. Service Manuals – MyMopar

I sincerely hope what I just posted can help. Wiring is just sometimes a matter of figuring it out one wire at a time. You know you'll have power going to the switch and then wires coming back to feed the lights. One wire will be for the horn and will fasten to the little roller gizmo mounted on the switch.

Ah, yeah I forgot to tell what car I have; it's a-56 Chrysler (I thought it showed by the dashboard) & if I have "any idea what the column came from" well yes; that'd be the same -56 Chrysler as I reckon you've already figured out by writing that I "can get a 1956 FSM" & the "poor wiring rewiring job with the same color wires" is original.
The FSM shows the same as all other diagrams I've seen, it does not show the plate on the column the wires are connected to, only this:

TurnSignSwitch.jpg

I need to see where each wire start & finish cuz they're all same color exept the horn wire who's black.
& THANX for responding!

Last edited:
But that also ment a modern collapsible shaft with u-joints
This is what made me believe you had changed the column.

Looking at the wiring diagram in the FSM, the wires going to the switch are different colors. The picture shows what looks like yellow for many of those wires. If they are fabric insulated, there should be some indication of color if they are original.

Going back to the wiring diagram... And this is going to take a little figuring out on your end.

Note the green wires for the left side and brown for the right side. What you are going to have to do is look at the switch, push it into the left and then right and see what contacts align. You also have a red power wire feeding it. There may be some trial and error. This is about the best I can do to help.

56 chrysler.jpg

If you can't see what contacts align, using something like a multimeter to show continuity may help. In other words, figure out the power and then see what it has continuity with when in each position.

Yes I reckon the multimeter will be needed since nobody here has done this before & can show me.
There are two connectors where the wires comes out from the column under the dashboard & I marked the spots for each wire + the wires before I removed them, so in that end it's all clear even thou it doesn't matter now since they're all lose in the other end. I did the marking before I started at the other end so I didn't know that they were lose then.

I've found many Canadian coins from the 50's in the car but only one US so it might be that it was a Canadian built / sold car from start & maybe that explains the one colored wires..?

Regarding the wire colors, if you are not the original owner of the car, who knows what wiring was done to it since 1956. It seems highly unlikely it would have been done originally in one color. Doing a web search, I see nos parts with colored wires, so there's that.
Next, I was told by a Chrysler dealer mechanic that if a column switch needed replacement, they would give the part to a tech, put him in a corner of the shop, and no one would talk to him for the whole day.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I've used that corner every time I've bought another second hand car, thou it's usually "only" wiring from leftover equipment + lengths some expert have thought might be handy later on as in the needed 2,5 foot wire being 6 foot & just winded up somewhere...

But about these same-colored-wires; it sure looks original in every possible way.
& I really would like to see someone else's indicator wiring!

I did a search for 1956 chrysler turn signal switch, and found images of the switch and wiring, but nothing showing the pinouts.
There were some on ebay, but for manual transmission without power steering.

On my -56 NY there's a separate black wire for the horn, not connected to this at all & I see it's written as green in that diagram you "mopar prefered" showed looking like this:
(the brown & greens goes to different indicator lights at each corner of the car, red goes to Flasher & white goes to Stop Light Switch, gonna try this to see if it works out...)

56Chrysler TurnSignDiagr.png

This is the way the contact piece looks like by the steeringwheel, how is anybody gonna see what wires goes where?
turn sign part.jpg

Google searched & found this one, look at the color of the wires:
indicat part.jpg

I sure don't see any white or red...

By knowing that there are 2 green, 2 brown, 1 red, and 1 white, I'm going to speculate.
I think, by following the visible wires, that the 2 green go to the 2 farthest right terminals.
The 2 brown to the center terminals.
The red to the top left (in your photo.)
The white to the bottom left, (in your photo.)
Take a look at that reasoning, and see if you agree.
Remember the fabric covers have aged.

Last edited:
I agree but then looking at the diagram one green is in the middle...
I think the diagram aint right cuz it would make more sense that the greens would go out to indicator lights & therefore be at the edges but then on the other hand the other same-colored brownish / beige wires would be on the other outer pegs...

:(
I reckon this would be loads easier if it was easy, but it's not, to just check this on another 55-56 MoPar, I've seen that the other years are different.

Copied the diagram (had to make two cuz it didn't wanna stay sharp otherwise) & colored the turn signal wiring at some spots:
(hope this helps both me & others in the future)
TrnSignDiagr 1.png
TrnSignDiagr 2.png

The green ones are green, the brown looks tan, the white is prob a lighter tan, and I think the red one is now the one that appears dark brown. If you can follow it around, there are what look like some reddish spots.
Now it depends on how the switch operates internally to determine left and right sides.
The diagram does not show accurately the pin outs on the switch, rather showing only that the wires go to the switch.

I just don't understand why the ones going out to each light on right & left side of the car shouldn't be at either side on the contact, I guess you're right as we don't know what it looks like on the inside.
Looking at what the other side of the piece where the contact points are & thinking that the arm used for activating the signals moves to different sides & that staying in the middle means no blinking.

ContactPlate.jpg

Well, red goes to the flasher, white goes to the brake light switch.
White needs to activate the bright filament in the rear bulb for brakes, so white gets connected to green and brown going to the rear only.
That's why there are 2 Brown's and greens, for front and rear.
Brown's go to the bright filament on the right side, greens to the bright filament on the left.
The turn signal switch would seem to decide if the red becomes connected to either the brown or green both front and rear. And something tells the brake light that it is now a turn signal if brakes and turn are on at the same time.
There's a lot going on inside that little turn signal switch. This is all done with mechanical mechanisms. Some kind of connector has to slide back and forth to make the connections.
(Or maybe it is trolls, I don't know.)

Last edited:
Back