Turn signal wiring in column problem...

Nah, if it would've be trolls it wouldn't have worked before but maybe I'll get them now...
Anyway I might have time to get to it tomorrow, it gets slow when the car aint here by my house.

TSS.jpg

I'm gonna take a stab at this.

1. Brown. Front right turn signal
2. Brown Rear right turn signal
3. Red. Flasher
4. White Brake light switch
5. Green. Front left turn signal
6. Green Rear left turn signal

I'm confident about #3 and #4.

I'm also confident that #1 and #2 are brown and are right signals and #5 and #6 are green and left signals.

Where I'm not as confident and making an educated (well I did make through high school) is the #5 and #6 and the #1 and #2 being in the correct positions to make the rear signals work with the brake lights. Thinking about what might be going on for contacts in the switch makes me think that it should be inline with the brake light switch.... I could be wrong, in which case, it's a simple matter of switching #1 with #2 and #5 with #6.

This should give a good starting point.

Okidoki Big John, that inspired me to make this for future knowledge & use:
turn sign part.jpg

I doubt it matters if #1 & #2 change place as well as #5 & #6.

Last edited:
I doubt it matters if #1 & #2 change place as well as #5 & #6.
I think it will. Example; You use the left turn signal and the left front and rear flashes. Use the brake while doing that and it has to just light the right stop light. So the switch has to not let the left stop light light while it's flashing. So if #5 and #6 were reversed, it seems to me that the front lights would function that way... In other words, the left turn signal would be flashing and the right front would light up instead of the right rear when using the brake.

Hope that makes sense. I could be completely wrong about that and it doesn't make any difference, but let's say it does, you'll want to check for correct stop light operation.

Yep it sure does make a difference! I just had a way to fast thought sa if I still was a kid again with not enough patience for proper thoughts...
Made a better one:
turn sign part.jpg

Last edited:
Was at it a bit today, have even solderd a few wires back on exept the green ones I'm not sure which one goes where...
First I took pix of the wires, then the contacts & then a drawing of how they sit now:
Indic.Plate.JPG
Indic.Ends ToContacts.JPG
Contacts.JPG
P1030625.JPG

The lose on the second pic one is the "red" going to the flasher & since I've marked the wires & contacts I could see that the one still atatched to the plate was #2 & that made it a bit easier to start with.
But now I'd like some input about where to atatch the green ones...

Last edited:
Wait -- where are these connectors you show in pic 3?
are they inside the column, or under the dash?
Do the spade terminals just plug in to those connectors?
If so, things may have gotten a little easier.
You could connect any of the wires to any of the terminals on the switch (except for the horn button) and label the spade ends of the terminals using the numbers in your diagram, then test operation.
If something is wrong, then move wires in the spade terminals to correct?
I hope?
I would suspect that the horn wire would have its own connector somewhere.

The connectors are under the dash & they're actually brown in reality, the light & camera flash changes it & it's also easier in real life to see that the one I've numbered as #5 is green.
& yes; the spades go pressed in the connectors.

Well, then why not make all your connections at the switch, numbering the wires at the spade ends according to your diagram so you know which wire goes to which number connection on the switch?
Then you could use trial and error, to see what bulb each wire has what effect on?
It seems that would be easier than moving them around at the switch?

Last edited:
I actually did just that; before I removed the spades from the connectors I marked the wires with black 1-6 & filed grooves 1-6 in the connectors. Maybe hard to see the marks on the connectors in the picture but I find it quite easy to see the markings on the wires.
Anyway, now that it's only the green ones to figure out it'll be easy enough!

I've been taking a brake, not that it helped but I just felt like...
Now I've been at it again, all sorted out exept the flasher wiring & for a while I collected as many (3) diagrams as I could find & they
all show two-terminal flasher but mine has 3 & it is original. The thing is that at the moment there's one black wire coming to the flasher contact & one lose coming from the column that I don't have a clue where it's gonna fit & then there seems to be one missing but that one I could ad when I know where the others should go...
I did also find a Dodge diagram showing a 3-terminal flasher, I'm posting that one also.
Here are the diagrams I've found:

a Chrys Light& TurnSignlDiagr.jpg

a El Diagr.jpg

a Dodge WireDiagr.jpg

A photo of the contact under the dashboard, where the flasher usually sits:

Flasher Contact.JPG

So basicly I'm wondering how the wires should go into the flasher, I got this drawing from a guy but then I've heard it can be different depending on model & such (& the drawing aint specifically for a -56 MoPar either):

flasher.png

Last edited:
Looking at the drawings, I'd say that the 3 spade flasher is for a car with a single bulb turn indicator on the dash and the 2 spade is for a car with individual right and left turn indicators on the dash.

So... Look at the dash... Is there 2 bulbs/indicators or 1?

Looked up under today & there's NO(!) lamp or holder for it all, not even a cable!
So now I'm confused; there was a 3-terminal flasher that worked before (dead now) but as I understand only two wires was connected to it so it ought to be easy to just plug in a 2-terminal flasher as in: a +cable & the one up into the steering column, right?

Looked up under today & there's NO(!) lamp or holder for it all, not even a cable!
So now I'm confused; there was a 3-terminal flasher that worked before (dead now) but as I understand only two wires was connected to it so it ought to be easy to just plug in a 2-terminal flasher as in: a +cable & the one up into the steering column, right?
There's really no positive and negative connections per se. The flasher connects in series with the power going to the switch, so that sketch isn't right.

So, you have one wire coming from the ignition switch and that goes up to the turn signal switch. When the switch is moved to (for example) the right turn position, it makes a connection between the bulbs and the flasher. The flasher then "senses" the current flow and starts working.

Here's a good link to how the flasher works How Turn Signals Work

Long story short, if that two terminal flasher fits, and the plug is wired correctly, it should work.

Back