Turn signals not working - 65 newport

Yes I have stop lights
OK, now we're closing in.

Having stop lights means the wiring to the lights (at least the rear anyway) is intact and working. Also means the rear bulbs are working too.

The power goes to the flasher and that feeds the switch, and you said you have power there (I assume it's flashing power), so we're good for power leading to the switch. If the power isn't flashing, then you have to go back and check that.

Put a tester to the output line from the switch and i have power going in and power come back out.

This bothers me a little and why I would want to know if that is flashing or not. You said you plugged in the flasher and it worked, but looking at the timeline, I'm not sure which wire you took your power readings from.

If all the wiring is correct, it points to the switch being the problem. But! Since you've said that you do some rewiring, I'm a little hesitant to say that is 100%.

I really hope it's not the switch darn things are expensive. 100 dollars. So in order of checking I checked there was main power going to the switch and at that point didn't have power coming out of the switch when activating the lever. After I found and reinstalled the flaser I had power coming out of the switch when activating the lever. I had taken out the swtich to fix the wiring from who ever did it previously. I did a simple adding to the length of the wires and soldered the connections with a heat shrink over the splice.

I really hope it's not the switch darn things are expensive. 100 dollars. So in order of checking I checked there was main power going to the switch and at that point didn't have power coming out of the switch wh pop Pen activating the lever. After I found and reinstalled the flaser I had power coming out of the switch when activating the lever. I had taken out the swtich to fix the wiring from who ever did it previously. I did a simple adding to the length of the wires and soldered the connections with a heat shrink over the splice.

Trying to simplify this.

Is the power going to the switch flashing?

Any power going to the switch has to come from one of two places... Either it comes from the brake light switch when your foot is on the brake OR it comes from the flasher and will be "flashing" or pulsing WHEN you push the lever for one or the other direction.

Any power coming FROM the switch is going to only be when the brake lights are activated or the lever is one or the other direction.

The ONLY place that you will see power coming from the switch will be the right or left wiring headed to the signals and it will be pulsing OR it will be going to the left and right rear wiring if the brake lights are working.I

If there has been wiring work done, you always have to be suspect of it. I don't care who did it. Given the flasher wasn't plugged in, and you had power, there may be something amiss.

I had some dead bulbs in the tail lights and the turn signals wouldn't work "flash" till I replaced the bulbs. the sockets needed to be grounded also on the inner ones.
I'd say the same goes for the front ones too

Where is the hazard light switch on a 66?

Back