Ugh, stranded...

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I rarely ever, in my life, have been stranded by a car mechanically. Outside of the first time I had a timing belt car and the belt broke me not knowing they are a replacement item. Luckily a non-interference engine.

Wednesday morning I stop at the ARCO 1.5 miles away from me to top off the gas for my 180 mile round trip to Santa Rosa. This is a busy ARCO station right next to a CostCo so prices are competitive. I put the key in the ignition and heard a faint noise out of the ordinary. Yep, the key will not turn in the ignition at all. A known problem on all 1st gen Foci and up to 2008 on other Fords. The tumblers get out of whack.

I call CSAA for a tow which was a PIA. They are using a new voice mail system asking a whole bunch of stupid questions which take forever. I need a tow as nothing else would work and finally I get to a person. Just as we are finishing my phone dies. Great, I hope he got enough. Meanwhile I am in the way of pumps 8, 10 and 12 for an hour. Luckily again the wheel was pointing straight and the car is a manual.

The tow guy arrives and I have to say I have always gotten really friendly guys who are more than happy to work with me. Takes my info, doesn't believe the car is a 2004, and asks where he is going to take it. Yes, it is 2004 and you are taking it to my house. He asks why and tell him that is where the auto garage is located. When he dropped it off he then saw the other cars and knew what I meant. Gave me a story about a project of his which of course was never going to get done. Isn't that always the case.

The ignition was simple IF you can get the key to turn to ACC. With the steering wheel cover off you can access the pin you need to push to pull out the cylinder. So I use a metal key I had made, put grease on it, inserted the key, and then tapped it five times with a trim hammer, and the key turned! Pulled off the locking ring and then removed the safety bar from the bottom. Now any key will turn the ignition but without the RF chip the car won't start. I can get a Motorcraft SW 6285 improved cylinder from Amazon for $57 and then work out the tumbler sequence for my old key and then replace the old cylinder. That maybe for another day but for now the car is usable. Thank god for spare cars.

Glad to hear that you at least got it home. That's a long time waiting for AAA; they usually run 1/2 hour tops from my experience. Especially within a couple miles of their headquarters!
Sounds like the area over by four corners. Mel & Sons, Monument Car Parts are still in the area but different locations from when I was getting my feet wet long ago...

If your insurance covered the tow you made out well in a bad situation.
Glad you got it home safely.

We had a 08 Ford truck in the other day, cylinder was worn and having a hard time turning. Keyed the new one to the old key and back in business.
I did a 2000 Mustang for a kid at the GM dealer and our scan tool was able to program the module to accept the new key code. Sometimes it is hit or miss on what the aftermarket scan tools will program

Glad to hear that you at least got it home. That's a long time waiting for AAA; they usually run 1/2 hour tops from my experience. Especially within a couple miles of their headquarters!
Sounds like the area over by four corners. Mel & Sons, Monument Car Parts are still in the area but different locations from when I was getting my feet wet long ago...

Mel & Sons have done all my exhaust work on all the cars.

The ARCO location is Monument and Detroit.

That Kincaid Fire about 70 miles north of me must be a real ***** today. I never felt winds down here during the Camp Fire but today the winds outside are incredible. I can only imagine what 90 mph gusts are like up in Healdsberg. Huge mandatory evacuation of 180,000 people in a very large area.
Maps: Kincade Fire continues to burn in Sonoma County

Last edited:
Mel & Sons have done all my exhaust work on all the cars.

The ARCO location is Monument and Detroit.

That Kincaid Fire about 70 miles north of me must be a real ***** today. I never felt winds down here during the Camp Fire but today the winds outside are incredible. I can only imagine what 90 mph gusts are like up in Healdsberg. Huge mandatory evacuation of 180,000 people in a very large area.
Maps: Kincade Fire continues to burn in Sonoma County

Mel & Sons installed the exhaust on my Chevy back in about 1995. The guy that did it was Tony. When I stopped by there a couple years ago for a radiator repair, he was still there.

This was the smoke over the bay, on Sunday. Looking north from San Mateo. Behind the smokescreen, middle right, is downtown SF.

IMG_8319.jpeg

The winds that first night must have been strong because when I went out to the side of the house I saw that a Ford tailgate got picked up and moved some.

Back