Ultra rare all original Q4 turquoise L-code 1969 440 Magnum Dodge Polara 500 convertible survivor ca

and it didn't have a 440 even though it was an L-code car (in the VIN) from the factory. According to the Broadcastsheet it came with a 383 H-code engine.

Carsten

How does that happen Carsten? So how do you know that the engine was originally a 383 then - engine numbers or ?

An "L" in the VIN simply means "special order V8" that year.

Since they had the code H in 1969 for a 383-4 high performance engine, why wouldn't they just put an H in the VIN then since it was a regular production option, not something special ordered? The charts I have referenced say that the L is the code for the 440HP engine only.

WhyTF is storing the spare so hard for these morons. Don't they care?
I think a lot of the brackets that hold the spare down are gone. They are just spot welded to the floor and I think you can get some pretty good torque on the wing nut in that position.

I had some nice dents from the inside of my rear 1/4 panels from the jack sliding around when turning fast corners or spinning donuts. I think I will secure it this time around.

How does that happen Carsten? So how do you know that the engine was originally a 383 then - engine numbers or ?

Steve it had no fender tag but a broadcastsheet as well as the original windowsticker.
The original owner was alive back then, too. Everything was coded for E63 a 383-4 engine. But on all documents it had the "L" in the VIN. Engine was matching, too.

@Patrick: special order engine in 1969 would have been a "M"-code in The VIN (fith digit)

Carsten

Steve it had no fender tag but a broadcastsheet as well as the original windowsticker.
The original owner was alive back then, too. Everything was coded for E63 a 383-4 engine. But on all documents it had the "L" in the VIN. Engine was matching, too.

@Patrick: special order engine in 1969 would have been a "M"-code in The VIN (fith digit)

Carsten

The original owner has since passed? I remember the photo with him in the car

Carsten
Any time a fender tag is missing = buyer beware. Sounds like it is pieced together. Very nice car but no one should should think they are getting something extraordinary or rare from the factory.

Since they had the code H in 1969 for a 383-4 high performance engine, why wouldn't they just put an H in the VIN then since it was a regular production option, not something special ordered? The charts I have referenced say that the L is the code for the 440HP engine only.

The original owner ordered an L code 440 HP engine, but it was delivered late to the dealership with an H code 383 HP. That's not unusual, MoPar made mistakes on builds everyday.

Either the sales person at the dealer screwed up the order, or the factory made a mistake in the build. Whatever the reason, it was a numbers matching car fully documented car.

I should have kept it, but I kinda felt nervous every time I drove it. 67,000 miles when I owned it.

I think it's in PA, nice guy owns it.

Last edited:
The original owner has since passed? I remember the photo with him in the car
I'm not sure he would be about 97 now. He was a tough guy, sharp as a razor.

He trained the bombing crew for the "Enola Gay", that dropped the Atomic bomb on Japan in WWII.

The first time that car came up on Ebay it didn't meet reserve at 20k. Later on that summer (or was it fall) it sold for around 13k. We passed on the first auction, wish I'd have been on point for the second. Someone got a great car even if there were some questionable area on the body. Beautiful color combo too!

The first time that car came up on Ebay it didn't meet reserve at 20k. Later on that summer (or was it fall) it sold for around 13k. We passed on the first auction, wish I'd have been on point for the second. Someone got a great car even if there were some questionable area on the body. Beautiful color combo too!

Maybe your are not remembering correctly as it was some time ago, but the reserve was way under $20K.

What's it selling for? I don't have FB. Like Steve said it would look even better if it had white walls on it. Or road wheels with RWL's if you wanted a sporty look. IMHO

img_2677-jpg.116775

Can we get some more info and pics of the white Polara convertible in the background?
That looks great from what I can see of it.

Question: the floor mat has a plaid pattern. I was under the impression that 1967 and 1968 cars had the plaid, but that their 1969 and 1970 successors' mats came in the herringbone pattern (like my '70).

@Fury Pursuit, did you replace the mat, or did it come to you like that from the first owner?

Question: the floor mat has a plaid pattern. I was under the impression that 1967 and 1968 cars had the plaid, but that their 1969 and 1970 successors' mats came in the herringbone pattern (like my '70).

@Fury Pursuit, did you replace the mat, or did it come to you like that from the first owner?

My 69 Monaco with the original mat...

door and 69 monoco 011 Standard e-mail view.jpg

Was there a transition from chrome tulip shifter knobs to wooden ball knobs on C bodies, like there was on B bodies, during the 69 model year?

upload_2018-5-7_16-18-19.jpeg

Back