Unknown electrical thing - NOT in FSM...

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This was mounted on top of the intake manifold on the passenger side on the same bolt the firewall to block ground strap connects to.

I have no idea idea what it is nor what it does on my '76 440.

Anybody?

zlb68w.jpg
9pne5i.jpg

f35hrt.jpg
osvoee.jpg

I believe it is for the choke heater, a delay because of lean burn needs to keep choke on a little longer for drivability, my guess anyway.

72 has the same thingie & it is for the choke. Perfect place to grab some switched power for fuel injection.

It's been a while since I've seen one, so I'm going on my memory here (and I don't remember what I had for lunch).

That is a thermal switch for the electric choke. It kinda regulates voltage to the choke heater based on underhood temperature. There's a couple versions, yours has an external resistor, so I believe that makes it a two stage unit. The other version is one stage, basically on or off.

I threw mine away.......alone with the cast iron intake, TQ, LB, and all of the rest of the useless emissions crap.

I believe it is for the choke heater, a delay because of lean burn needs to keep choke on a little longer for drivability, my guess anyway.

Correct...except for the Lean Burn part...these were also used on non-LB engines in the 70's.

I hate all that pollution control crap. My car doesn't have barely any, but I had a 73' car that did. More pollution comes out of these politicians mouths than any car could ever spew out.

I hate all that pollution control crap. My car doesn't have barely any, but I had a 73' car that did. More pollution comes out of these politicians mouths than any car could ever spew out.

That really isn't a "pollution control" piece. If it's warm out, it applies full voltage to the choke heater, making the choke open a little faster. If it's cold, it doesn't apply voltage and let's the choke open slower.

Granted, the want for a leaner fuel/air mixture is the ultimate goal with how the carb is set up and that's about pollution control. With the choke control, it's more about driveability rather than pollution.

Back