Upper Control Arm Ball Joint Dust Boot Install

Reaction score
HELP!

I'm having a heck of a time getting the dust boot on my new Moog Problem Solver ball joint. The FSM says use a 2" socket (I don't have one that large, I attempted to use the ball joint socket but that worked as well as a soup sandwich). Any tips/tricks? I put the spindle on hoping the compression would help, it didn't. I don't want to try too hard to force it.

I know you guys will know!

Take it down to the hardware store and find a piece of PVC or ABS pipe, or coupler that will fit over it, purchase said piece and then whack away. ;)

A very BigAzz Channellock...

ma7wusybchjcsonmzjj1.jpg

Take it down to the hardware store and find a piece of PVC or ABS pipe, or coupler that will fit over it, purchase said piece and then whack away. ;)
This worked!

I went and got a piece of PVC that perfectly fit the boot (also an acceptable size to drive in my rear axle seals), and went to work. Aaaand... it didn't work.

Ultimately, I grabbed my BFH (a 4lb short handled sledge that I call Thor), placed a wood block between the upper control arm and the fender, summoned my best "Just Ain't Care", and beat it like it threated my children!

Success! My girlfriend was concerned when she heard yelling from the driveway, it was just the sound of victory!

Back