Using dynamat in convertible

Thanks again your cars look great I appreciate all of the willingness to help and share your knowledge. This is what makes this site great Regards Frank Hope to get some more pictures of my car up soon It should be painted in the next few weeks and be ready to have the interior put back in.

Guys: Does this FatMat/Dynamat have a sticky backing to keep it in place? And what is the Ensolite for? Rip

The Rammat I used has an adhesive backing (peel and stick) that you do not want to get on your clothes. It will not come off. The Ensolite is a foam material that is applied over the Rammat using spray adhesive. Is is claimed to reduce higher frequency noise.

I used a heat gun to pre warm and soften the material. Had no problem using the included roller but a tool as mentioned above may be an improvement.
Be careful just to "warm" the material and don't get to aggressive with the roller.
Maybe you got a better roller than I did. The one I got was a cheap little wooden thing that didn't do the job very well. Plus I already had the J-Roller.

Of course, I took the exit ramp to the carpal tunnel years ago, so I'm a little fussier about such tools.

Sightly off topic. I did the same with my '66 convertible highly recommend too. Question, on that rare occasion that the top is up, I have a lot of road noise because the folded top is now not buffering the sound.

Has anyone here addressed the road noise issue with the top up with any success? Highways speeds it gets quite loud.

Sightly off topic. I did the same with my '66 convertible highly recommend too. Question, on that rare occasion that the top is up, I have a lot of road noise because the folded top is now not buffering the sound.

Has anyone here addressed the road noise issue with the top up with any success? Highways speeds it gets quite loud.

Top down = problem solved :rofl:

Top down = problem solved :rofl:

Thanks Scott. :) It is crazy when I can drive 80mph with the top down and I can have a normal volume conversation with my wife, but put the top up forget it. It's for when those rain showers unexpectedly pop up. I would like to take some more multiply day trips this summer, so you can never predict convertible weather every day.

In all seriousness Mike, most of the road noise while the top is up is from air finding its way past the seals. I know I've got a spot where the vent wing tips meet the top and the rear corner of the quarter windows (no one reproduces those seals and mine were shot). You can try to seal all the air leaks but it's most likely an effort in futility. These tops didn't seal well from the factory let alone 50 years later.

If you should need to remove the sound deadener for any reason, is there a recommended procedure to remove it?

Back