Valve Cover Hitting Power Booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN72Fury

Reaction score
I am having a 440 with Stroker and Roller Rockers installed and the shop indicates it is hitting the Power Booster.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A28151

I ordered a smaller diameter Power Booster but I am worried about it fitting in place of the 1972 (the current diameter of the booster is around 11.5")

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

Why not go to older dual diaphragm?
As always thanks for the response

I would prefer Power if possible. Please explain the dual diaphragm? is that power?
Has anyone used the summit Power Booster on their fuselage and willing to share experience?

I cant see why the 440 doesnt fit with that booster when every other 440 car of this era has no clearance issues running that booster. The motor being a stroker wont affect the block dimensions at all. Something is amiss. I think some detail photos of the mounts from above and below will give a clue.

I'm no expert, but I've had a similar experience. I have a '72 Fury that's a factory 440 car, and aftermarket valve covers just don't fit. A friend of mine had a pair of chrome factory-style covers, the ones that have an angle at the end, and was kind enough to give them to me. It became immediately obvious what the angled end was for. Apparently cool valve covers are for 383/400 cars with the lower deck, or B-bodies with the firewall further back. The dual diaphragm booster is an older style that is smaller in diameter, giving you more clearance. But, didn't I hear somewhere that the older style units were hard to find a source for? I haven't tried that route myself, but I probably should've instead of selling off my fancy aluminum covers.

I'm no expert, but I've had a similar experience. I have a '72 Fury that's a factory 440 car, and aftermarket valve covers just don't fit. A friend of mine had a pair of chrome factory-style covers, the ones that have an angle at the end, and was kind enough to give them to me. It became immediately obvious what the angled end was for. Apparently cool valve covers are for 383/400 cars with the lower deck, or B-bodies with the firewall further back. The dual diaphragm booster is an older style that is smaller in diameter, giving you more clearance. But, didn't I hear somewhere that the older style units were hard to find a source for? I haven't tried that route myself, but I probably should've instead of selling off my fancy aluminum covers.
Yes you are correct in that the dual diaphragm boosters are getting scarce. And yes the valve covers are clearanced for a reason. Also a lot of people forget that ALL of our precious Chrysler products even "C" bodies on a sub frame had the engines installed from the bottom of the car.

I am having a 440 with Stroker and Roller Rockers installed and the shop indicates it is hitting the Power Booster.

I would try a stock style valve cover as Brownbuick stated. They are shorter than the Mopar Proformance aluminum valve cover and have the clearance angle as stated.

I would try a stock style valve cover as Brownbuick stated. They are shorter than the Mopar Proformance aluminum valve cover and have the clearance angle as stated.
THANKS, I will get a stock set
I cant see why the 440 doesnt fit with that booster when every other 440 car of this era has no clearance issues running that booster. The motor being a stroker wont affect the block dimensions at all. Something is amiss. I think some detail photos of the mounts from above and below will give a clue.
They are the Shumacher Mounts which change the motor from a 360 to 440 - I included the picture not sure it that was an issue.

Last edited:
THANKS, I will get a sock set

They are the Shumacher Mounts which change the motor from a 360 to 440 - I included the picture not sure it that was an issue.
They shouldn't. They are designed to place a big block in the correct location on the small block frame.

I think they use the dual diaphragm on the 440 for no other reason than clearance. They are smaller diameter and a little longer.

Alan

2015-12-07_001.jpg

I think they use the dual diaphragm on the 440 for no other reason than clearance. They are smaller diameter and a little longer.

Alan

2015-12-07_001.jpg
I have a stock 440 in my car and have the large diameter booster with no clearance issues.

I have a stock 440 in my car and have the large diameter booster with no clearance issues.

But you're running stock valve covers, right? It's the aftermarket pieces that cause the problem. Also, does anyone have experience running upgraded rockers under the stock covers? That's something I've been curious about, is there enough room in there for rollers?

I ordered https://www.summitracing.com/parts/amd-335-1070-bp from summit - I can see the slant on the cover. I am also in contact with the RAMMANINC (guess someone else is RAMMAN now) RAMMANINC does Mopar rearends and brakes and made a master cylinder for the four wheel disc brakes I am creating (the stock 1972 disc and 1975 Imperial Rearend 3.23 suregrip with disc brakes. Anyways, based on how the valve covers fit I may not need to get a smaller diameter Power Booster but may change out for a rebuild since all apart now.

I ordered https://www.summitracing.com/parts/amd-335-1070-bp from summit - I can see the slant on the cover. I am also in contact with the RAMMANINC (guess someone else is RAMMAN now) RAMMANINC does Mopar rearends and brakes and made a master cylinder for the four wheel disc brakes I am creating (the stock 1972 disc and 1975 Imperial Rearend 3.23 suregrip with disc brakes. Anyways, based on how the valve covers fit I may not need to get a smaller diameter Power Booster but may change out for a rebuild since all apart now.
I have a rebuilt booster, and new master for a 1972 if interested.

Alan

2015-12-07_001.jpg
Do you know if the dual diaphragm will fit the fuselage body?

Alan

2015-12-07_001.jpg
Thanks for the picture it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back