Vintage Air Gen IV, Southern Air Maxi 5XL vs stock 66 New Yorker evaporator, etc

hotdog647

Reaction score
I'm adding air to a 66 New Yorker. The path of least resistance is to add a Vintage Air or Southern Air evaporator unit with a Sanden compressor and modern condenser. I can see the benefit of the modern compressor and condenser. But looking at the smaller sizes of the heater and A/C evaporator cores I'm wondering if I should think about rebuilding an original box and just upgrading the compressor and condenser. Any ideas about this?

The car has factory a.c.?

It does not-yet. I'm rebuilding a factory ac/heat box for another project, and my mechanic tested the evaporator and heater core in the box before I started. For my 66 NY I will be swapping to a factory a/c dash and plumbing into the factory vents whether I use a new evaporator or rebuild another box. It just seem like the old cores are so much larger size- and volume-wise compared to what they put into new evaporators. But either way I will get a new Sanden compressor and a parallel condenser when I put the ac dash in my 66. What are your thoughts?

Factory box and factory style evap/heater core.
NOS heater hose valve if you can get a 2nd mortgage.
Sanden compressor.
Modern parallel flow condensor with pusher fan if fabbing brackets doesn't bother you.

I'm pretty sure the firewall is different on a/c cars so a factory box won't just bolt in.

I went with a Mark IV under dash unit for our wagon because it's a lot of car to cool. Supposedly 25000 BTU vs 17000 for the in dash all in one and it will look "correct".

Now all I have to do is get to work and install it.

Kevin

"NOS heater hose valve if you can get a 2nd mortgage" <-- No lie about that. I may use some tastefully done Southern Engineering if mine fails.

Back