Vintage NASCAR

image.jpg
Billy Carter ( president Carters brother) chats with Richard Petty. 1977

1977 Firecracker 400 at Daytona. Frank Warren in the #79 Dodge leads Tigh Scott. While Jim Hurtibese appears to be headed to put road. I prefer this kind of racing when the cars raced at 190 mph + and drafted in small groups compared to today's Nascar when you 2 rows of cars 20 cars long just following each other for hours
image.jpg

The recent posts of several USAC (ARCA didn't race at Michigan in the early 70's) cars got me motivated to look through some old race programs. The # 14 was found a few years ago and restored. It started life as a Cotton Owens built Superbird, but was only used as a backup car and never raced in NASCAR. It was purchased by Pierce Auto Parts and raced in USAC. Wicked fast, especially when driven by Larry Moore. Moore won a race in it (1975 I think) and a pole for the race this program was from in '76.
The #34 was built by BEMCO. BEMCO was owned and operated by a guy ( I think his last name was Bemmister) that had worked for Nichels Engineering during the Chrysler years and started his company after it ended. He built A LOT of really fast short track cars, but this (probably under-funded family-run) Charger never had much success.
By the way, when I was double checking the USAC/ARCA thing, it appears the Michigan 200 mile race (run later in the day after a indy-car race) paid over $8k to win. A few years later winner got about 25% of that.

Attachments

• Chargers.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 389
image.jpg
If I may....this is one of my favorite NASCAR cars. The 72 Plymouth Road Runner driven by Pete Hamilton. Love the blue on white & the Stars & stripes #9.

image.jpg
In 1971 Pete won one of the twin 125 qualifying races at Daytona in his FAST Cotton Owens 71 Plymouth Road Runner

image.jpg
Winston cigarettes was the title sponsor of the NASCAR Grand National series in the 70's and it became known as The Winston Cup series in the 80's. They would have the defending champion team build them a show/exhibition car every year. Here is 3 the Petty Enterprises built
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bob, do you know if any of those "promo" cars survived? I bet they went back to the teams...

Bob, do you know if any of those "promo" cars survived? I bet they went back to the teams...
Yes I believe many where given away to distributors or offered in contest. Some became lower lever race cars too it think

Last edited:
Back