Vintage NASCAR

image.jpg
Fred Lorezen stands in front of his DAYTONA as his crew services it

May have been Hoss Ellinton. Can't remember. A lot of car owners came & went during this time. Lorenzen came out of retirement in 69 & ran two more years before re retiring

image.jpg
Bunkie Blackburn driving the famous Petty #42 at Daytona in 62. This was Lee's car,but after his career ending crash in 61 this seat had different drivers. I have heard even Maurice took a turn in it & did pretty good.

image.jpg
Intersting photo. Ok bare with me. This is Bobby Allisons AMC Matadore (Mopars cousin) in the pits at Atlanta. Right after qualifying. Here's whats intersting. In those days they used qualifying engines. They where a little more powerful , but couldn't last more than a few laps. The engine on the floor is the Q motor. Notice the flat fan blade to reduce drag. The kid working on it is Bobby's eldest son Clifford who was killed at Michigan early 90's. The race motor is on the hoist ready to be put in. A few laps will be put on it during afternoon practice to make sure it's all good. The other kid standing near the drivers fender is Bobby's youngest son Davey who was a great racer, but was killed in a horrible hellicopter crash at Talledega Speedway. ALSO NOTICE: There is a crank case PSI valve on the valve cover of the Q motor & just the breather on the R motor. And notice the flat oil pan on the R motor. Dry sump AMC gotta love it !

Last edited:
image.jpg
DAYTONA 1962. Richard Petty in the blue Plymouth chasing eventual winner Fireball Roberts in the Pontiac. With the Goodyear blimp in the background

image.jpg
The story I got is this was at Smokey Mountain Speedway in NC. July of 1966. The Petty crew is washing the mud off the Plymouth after racing on the dirt track on Thursday night. Then they loaded up & got on I40 & headed west to Nashville Speedway in TN for a Saturday night race which they won. Same car & likely same engine

image.jpg
Bobby Issacs in the #71 Charger. I believe Cale Yarboro in the #21 Mercury Cyclone & the King Richard Petty in the #43 Plymouth

image.jpg
Some more History for you. This is Buck Baker (Buddy's) dad. And the 61 Chrysler here is the last Chrysler to win in NASCAR. It won at Hartsville Speedway in South Carolina in 1961

Back