Vintage NASCAR

image.jpeg
1961 Lee Petty wins the Canonball race at Daytona in this Valiant

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
USAC Magnum. My research is that it started out as a 72 Plymouth. Was reskined. Ramo Stott's son Corie was the last to drive. Car was for sale in Kentucky

View attachment 75382 Ramo Stott was a very sucessfull short track driver. He won a championship in a Kit Car
He also won a championship and at least one race in a 1975 Plymouth Road Runner, not many people can say that! This looks like Daytona so probably the ARCA race. Probably raced the same car in USAC. A couple of years ago Hemming's Muscle Machines (I think it was) had some photos of mid-70's USAC stock cars. It had a picture of this car next to a Charger. The RR looked a little smaller, and A LOT less aerodynamic! This is probably the same car as the #29 Magnum you posted above.

ramo-75.jpg

image.jpeg
Orange Co Speedway outside of Durham, NC. 1960 Richard Petty wins from the pole. JR Johnson on outside. This track is still around. Been to it many times. It's a paved high banked oval now.

I've got a trivia question for you guys. Please don't Google looking for the answer. Let's see your lucky guessed LoL There have been 4 drivers who have won NASCAR races at the cup level who where NOT born in the USA. Notice I said not BORN in the USA. I'll give you a hint. All 4 where from different country's. Name the drivers & the Country's

I've got a trivia question for you guys. Please don't Google looking for the answer. Let's see your lucky guessed LoL There have been 4 drivers who have won NASCAR races at the cup level who where NOT born in the USA. Notice I said not BORN in the USA. I'll give you a hint. All 4 where from different country's. Name the drivers & the Country's
GREAT question. I have three of the four, including the tricky one from the pre-Winston era! I will probably kick myself when I learn the 4th. Can I give a partial answer?

I just realized. That Runner has a Hemi. Look on the hood 426 CID
I think USAC let 'em run Hemi's in the intermediate Mopars right up to the end. I'm not sure what they did with Miradas, but since it appears they ran stretched "mirada" sheet metal over old b-body chassis, they probably had hemi's too.

Yes 71 Newp. Let's here it.
J.P. Montoya - Mexico
Marcos Ambrose - Australia
And the biggie - Mario Andretti Born in Croatia, Family displaced by WWII to Italy.
In the back of my mind something is saying Canada for #4, but I have no name to go with it.

You are correct except....Montoya was not born in Mexico. And yes one winner was born in Canada. Do you know who?

You are correct except....Montoya was not born in Mexico. And yes one winner was born in Canada. Do you know who?
I might be really waaaaaay off, but like you said....no google. Sam McQuagg (not sure of spelling.) ?????

image.jpeg
Nope. It's Earl Ross. Born in Canada. Won 1 race I believe in 72 driving a Junior Johnson Monte Carlo. Montoya is correct , but he was born in Columbia. That's pretty good considering you didn't google for the answers

Back